Warning-may contain useless drivel,proceed at your own risk. Since my son and hiking partner would not graduate from the University of Iowa until May 15th,and I had an obligation in Orlando on August 6th,I knew a thru hike was not possible. But we could go from Springer to Harpers Ferry. And so we did. What did I learn? Lots of things,of course. I learned that lots of people leave garbage and food in places it does not belong.I was really shocked by that,because I assumed that anyone willing to endure the hardships of the trail would only do so if they loved the wilderness as much as I do,and would therefore treat the forest with respect. We met a 70 year old female volunteer carrying a bag stuffed full of other peoples garbage. By far.the saddest day on the trail. I also learned that for the most part,hikers are the nicest,most helpful people I will ever meet. Yes,there were some that were rude,crude and just not nice,but not many.I learned that rain sucks when it lasts for hours,and waterproof boots really aren't. I learned that Brother Tom and Miss Janet are like a gift from heaven when they are in the right place at the right time.I learned that bears are really not that big of a deal,at least not the bears we met. I learned that you don't have to be in great shape to hike,it just makes it easier.I learned that Jenny Craig cannot compete with the AT when it comes to a weight loss program. I learned that after a long time on the trail,against all odds,my son and I had nothing to fight about.I learned that whoever invented plumbing and hot showers should be damn proud of themselves.I learned that before this trip,I was a hiker,but after 1022 miles,I feel like a HIKER,and that feels pretty damn good. I also learned the AT is addictive,and if I live long enough,I will find a way to get from Harpers to Maine. Slowtrek