WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Big Frog Advice

Default Big Frog Advice

I posted another post awhile back, but I wanted to change my approach a little. I actually went to Thunder Rock last weekend and checked out the Forest Service road that goes up the mountain. I don't think I'm willing to drive my mini van up it, so it looks like it will be a full 9 mile hike up to the top. I don't think I want to do 18 miles in one day, so I would like some overnight camping advice, i.e. best places to camp, water sources, bear bags, etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
    Jon

So if you're NOT driving forest road 45 up out of Thunder Rock then you'll have to take the BMT trail out of Thunder Rock heading south and this trail passes thru the car campground and crosses a little wooden footbridge and then climbs steeply on around 8 switchbacks.

The trail system gets alittle confusing with numbers like 303 and 305 and you cross a couple roads but eventually you end up on the West Fork of Rough Creek. There's a great campsite on the creek once you make the right turn on trail paralleling the creek---the campsite is on the left.

As you trek up to Big Frog Mt you pass a nice campsite on the left on Fork Ridge trail and then pop out on the Big Frog trail proper with a campsite off to the left on the ridge.

North of Big Frog Mt you reach a very excellent campsite ( I call it the Tongue of the Frog). Beyond this comes Frog Mt.

Water will be your greatest concern although West Fork Rough Creek has water for a possible camp on Fork Ridge. Or beyond for North Frog Camp. On top of the Frog there's a spring on the other side towards Licklog trailhead but it'll be dry right now. If you follow left from the spring on a bushwack and head down the hollow a couple hundred yards you MAY find water but this drought is killing these "secret" water sources.

If you come in on the Big Frog Trail off forest road 221 you'll jct Rough Ridge trail on the left and if you follow this a short way there's an old forest pond---but even it could be bone dry now. Pray for rain.

Thank you, Tipi, for the beta! I'll read your reply about 100 times while looking at my map!

Also, are those FS roads as rough as they look?
    Jon

Images

Early 2015---I drove my Hyundai sonata from thunder rock to the lower trailhead of licklog trail...

it was a beast of a dirt road and had to take my time (which it took a while)...

some me places were nice and easy (for a dirt road at least) and some places had huge potholes...

i made it to the trailhead after a while and vowed never to drive it again...

but, since there are other trails back there that I wanna hike--I guess I'll be driving it again...

That's some excellent insider info.

Thanks, TN! That's kind of what it looked like to me from the little bit I saw.

I didn't have any trouble getting up to the Big Frog Mtn Trailhead in my Nissan Sentra. but that was maybe 8-9 years ago, so take it for what it's worth.

there's a pretty nice campsite right on the summit. there's even a slight clearing up there for some limited stargazing. I have in my notes there's a spring up there but I don't think I looked for it when I was passing through and who knows if it's flowing with the low water tables in East TN.

There's no way it's flowing today. We are in a record drought here in East TN and Big Frog Mt is in the center of the drought.

Yep, its as dry as I've ever seen it.

This is what it looks like on a good day---

This is what it looks like on a better day---

What's neat about Frog Spring is when you come down from the top and get to the spring, if you look left and bushwack off the trail you'll find this fire ring---

If you go past this ring and down into the hollar behind the firepit and keep going you'll reach a creek for water and usually flowing whereas the spring is dry. Now though all bets are off.

Tipi, you're the best! Thanks for everything! I look forward to exploring this wonderful area soon!
    Jon

++ New Posts ++