WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water availability - Davenport Gap to Erwin

I'm section hiking mid Oct from Davenport Gap to Erwin. AWOL's guide shows plenty of reliable water sources in this area but I see from other post that this is a dry year. Anyone have current info in this section? Thanks.

Journal Entries

No idea.

But, when things get dry, the last miles nobo into erwin have a rep for getting dry.

Calling hostels like standing bear, laughing heart, and uncle johnnies can give good info.

Keep in mind that most of the time, what is called "dry" on AT, is still wetter than many other trails. Its just no longer water every mile or two, but down to a few sources in 20 miles or such, (which is really fairly plentiful). Wouldnt rate a concern except that people are spoiled into carrying minimal water on much of AT.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-09-2016 at 13:44.

Images

I was just up at Jerry's Cabin shelter on a clean-up trip and the spring there was as slow as I've seen since it was dry in the early 80s.I met a NOBO section hiker and he said that there were only a few water sources between I-40 and Hot Springs.Here in Greene Co. TN we only got 2"of rain in Sept.Just a few drops this month and none is forecast for all of next week.It's possible that some sources may be dry.You should ask every hiker you meet how's the water?I was out for 3 days and only met 5 hikers.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    You should ask every hiker you meet how's the water?I was out for 3 days and only met 5 hikers.
    I have observed that most backpackers are in the Just Right crowd---If it's too cold they stay home. If there's too much snow they stay home. If it's too rainy they stay home. And now if they have to hump too much water they don't come out. But if conditions are just right they come out in droves. Poor babies now are confronted with having to haul the extra weight of water.

This drought will end, in the meantime we camp by creeks and plan on staying at dry camps by hauling a gallon or two during the day.

Thanks for the input. I was looking forward to a lighter haul this section with the plentiful sources in this area. But looks like I need to bring extra vessels.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This drought will end, in the meantime we camp by creeks and plan on staying at dry camps by hauling a gallon or two during the day.
    A lot of great locations are dry and require you to camel water in. I remember ascending Kelly Knob to camp on Powell Mountain. I was running low on water and had intended to ration that night, but the AT came through with an unmarked source trickling out of the rocks near the summit. /rejoice

After I made it to Powell, another hiker set off to get water. I told him about the source, but he couldn't find it and went all the way down and back to Deep Gap Shelter. Yes, he had to climb Kelly Knob AGAIN!
    Last edited by -Rush-; 10-10-2016 at 17:38.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    A lot of great locations are dry and require you to camel water in. I remember ascending Kelly Knob to camp on Powell Mountain. I was running low on water and had intended to ration that night, but the AT came through with an unmarked source trickling out of the rocks near the summit. /rejoice

After I made it to Powell, another hiker set off to get water. I told him about the source, but he couldn't find it and went all the way down and back to Deep Gap Shelter. Yes, he had to climb Kelly Knob AGAIN!
    I do some crazy things for water. Without water I could camp but I DON'T WANT TO!!!

It helps immensely to know the area you are backpacking. Data books on the AT on the other hand help those new to an area, like the AT, but we're in a drought . . . and data is wrong.

If I know an area well I have a plan A and a plan B and a plan C for where I want to camp and where are the secret sources.

Ah... Rush, you must have found that water source that is in AWOL's guide that I never found when I camped on Kelly Knob a few years ago. I had enough water for dinner, but I had none for breakfast, so I hiked out the next morning and had breakfast at Deep Gap.

was out last week and was told it was pretty dry from I-40 to hot springs. There was a creek about 2.5 miles north of standing bear right off the trail otherwise between there and ground hog creek didn't see anything. the source at ground hog creek was a small puddle. Between there and max patch saw a small creek just past the road on the way up to max patch.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlo View Post
    Ah... Rush, you must have found that water source that is in AWOL's guide that I never found when I camped on Kelly Knob a few years ago. I had enough water for dinner, but I had none for breakfast, so I hiked out the next morning and had breakfast at Deep Gap.
    This source wasn't marked in AWOL 2016. I noticed some wet rocks and went searching. It looked like it should have been marked as an unreliable source, so perhaps it was marked in that year.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

I just got back from an overnight from I-40 to Hot Springs. Camped on Max Patch last night. I was able to fill up at the spring at Groundhog Creek shelter but it was only a puddle. Except for the stream down the road from Standing Bear this section to SR 1182 is dry. Several sources are flowing good in section between the stream just prior to Max Patch to the stream just prior to Walnut Mountain shelter. I didn't check the source at Walnut Mountain shelter. Not much after that except Big Rock spring - flow from the pipe was about the size of a pencil. The source at Deer Park Mountain shelter is dry.

Just got back Hot Springs to Sams Gap. Do not count on any non shelter water source. It took me 30 minutes to get 1 liter from Rich Mountain campsite, and that was the only one that had scoopable water in it that I saw except for the streams immediately north of Rector Laurel Rd.

Spring Mtn Shelter - very low water
    Little Laurel - Very slow drip from pipe. Took an hour to get 4-5 in a bag placed over the pipe.
    Jerry Cabin - Best water I saw
    Flint Mtn - Good water
    Hogback Ridge - Have to go way down past the normal spot and very low /slow flow.

SOBOs said that from Sams Gap to Erwin the water was ok, or better than north of Erwin at least.

I did I-40 to Hot Springs last weekend and agree with Highstepper's report from what I can remember.

Section Hiker

Just home today from NFG to Max Patch where I got off because I couldn't get report of any water from MP to Hot Springs. Here's what I remember from Dav Gap to Max Patch--these are the only places I know of that have water; others listed in the AT Guide are dry as far as I know:

1) Dav Gap: Stateline Branch between there and the Pigeon River is running well. The trail crosses it like 3 times and runs alongside it.
    2) Painter's Branch (couple miles north of Standing Bear Farm Hostel): Is down to a trickle/nearly dry, I had to dig a hole (fortunately I didn't smoosh the baby salamander!). I could hear water downstream but getting there would be downhill through rhodo thicket. Nothing between here and Groundhog Creek Shelter.
    3) Groundhog Creek Shelter: Low but flowing, someone dug out a pool which helped. Nothing from here to Max Patch.
    4) Max Patch: Just across Max Patch road you go down to a stream just before heading up to the bald. The stream was flowing pretty well.

Brown Gap: Be aware, I did not see a water source here although it's marked in the AT Guide. Three local hunters were parked there scoping out the squirrel situation and said there is no water source around there. They were nice guys, gave me 2 bottles of water.

I asked several SOBOs about water from Max Patch to HS and no one could tell me for certain where there IS water. I decided to catch that 18 miles another time. There "may" be water just past Max Patch at Roaring Fork according to my shuttler but she hadn't actually been up there.

Be sure you have extra carrying capacity and are prepared to hump extra water up those climbs. Ugh. Otherwise have a terrific hike, the colors are just starting to come in!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I just got back myself from I40 to Sam's Gap. The shelters were the only reliable water spots and some of those were dry, including Walnut Mountain. Had to backtrack towards Lemon Gap for water. When the shelters did have water, most were barely a dribble at 1 liter for 5 min.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    This source wasn't marked in AWOL 2016. I noticed some wet rocks and went searching. It looked like it should have been marked as an unreliable source, so perhaps it was marked in that year.
    Your right Rush, I have both 2014 and 2016 guides and I see that water source has been removed now from Kelly Knob.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 10-23-2016 at 12:51.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The most important caveat to "how's the water?" is "how many miles do you hike in a day?".
    ++

I walked 100+ last week.
    Temps were HOT, 85F in day, 65 @ night
    Unpleasant

I had no issues whatsoever.

Friday was rainy, foggy, wet, cooler. It was wonderful.
    Drank 1/4 L in last 12 miles between 730 and noon

Drink a full L at sources, carry 2, and 20 mpd hikers can go 15 miles between water usually..or more. Its not scarce in my book until 20+ between reputable sources, which is almost never on AT.

IMG_20161019_124801632.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-23-2016 at 13:11.

++ New Posts ++