WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NCT Info

Default NCT Info

I'm not finding much good information on the North Country Trail. I'm hoping someone else around here has hiked in the NW Pennsylvania area. I'd like to do a weekend trip in either a loop or out and back in 2.5 days. Kind of a long weekend hike. I've driven through the Clarion area and Kinzua, both are very nice areas. If anyone has any recommendations on a weekend trip in this area I'd love some ideas because I'm not finding much. Only requirements are hammock friendly areas. Thanks in advance!

The NCT lends itself to end-to-end hiking; no loops come to mind. There are roughly 100 miles of NCT in the ANF (Allegheny National Forest). With a partner or group that allows for a car shuttle, I would suggest hiking from the Kellettvile Campground parking lot to Henrys Mills in 2.5 days. You could camp at Triple Forks (Minister Creek) and in or by a small shelter you will find between Triple Forks and Henrys Mills. If you want a loop hike in NW PA, check out the eastern part of the Quehanna region.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Thanks partner. I will definitely check those areas out and see if I can plan out a route.

QiWiz is correct the NCT about end to end hiking the NCT. All though a small loop trail that shares part of the NCT in the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) is the Tracy Ridge-Johnycupcake trail. I have not hiked that loop trail just past them when I hiked the NCT end to end through the ANF last October. Nice campsites along the Kinzua reservoir at both Tracy and Johnycupcake trail. Also check out the Minister Creek trail, part of the NCT uses it also and nice camping there too. Or you could if two people drive up park a car at Red Bridge campground and then drive the second car up to the trail head at Willow Bay that's about a 2 day hike. By the way I was just up in Kinzua car camping at Red Bridge campground, leaves are changing nicely to there fall coors. The best colors were up North in Salamanca New York about an hour from Red Bridge

QiWiz is there a reason you recommend the eastern side of Quehanna, more picturesque, easier etc? Just curious since I've never been on the trail.

I'm taking a 1st time hiker with me, just a couple of us so no possibility of leaving a car. So the loop or an out-and-back will have to do. It would be nice if I could end up at one of the parks with a shower on the last day to clean up before driving home in my stench. The other thing I didn't mention is one of us has a hammock and one with a tent. Since the quehanna is a long trail I would think they allow camping on the trial like the AT?

If you ever make it into Michigan, we have an AWESOME 23 mile loop:
    http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/man...ntry-trail-35/

The views are WOWWWWW:

i hike different portions of the NCT almost every weekend in the Allegheny national forest. i would highly recommend hiking the "tracy ridge hiking trail system" you can find a map of the area online..start at the camp ground and hike to the NCT where it followes the reservoir. camp where the creek "tracy run" hits the reservoir.you won't be disappointed. most beautiful scenery around in my opinion..there are many options you can do with loops and different routes..hope this helps

IMG_1607.JPG
    this is a photo i took last year..looking at the reservoir from the NCT..like i said,,you won't be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    QiWiz is there a reason you recommend the eastern side of Quehanna, more picturesque, easier etc? Just curious since I've never been on the trail.

I'm taking a 1st time hiker with me, just a couple of us so no possibility of leaving a car. So the loop or an out-and-back will have to do. It would be nice if I could end up at one of the parks with a shower on the last day to clean up before driving home in my stench. The other thing I didn't mention is one of us has a hammock and one with a tent. Since the quehanna is a long trail I would think they allow camping on the trial like the AT?
    The main Quehanna Trail is roughly a 75 mile oval trail, with a western and eastern cross-connector that lets you make a loop trail at either end. In addition, in the eastern third, there are many additional trails that let you make up a large variety of backpacking loop routes and dayhikes from a basecamp location. If you get a good map, you will see that the eastern end has many more options for hiking. You can obtain one from:

Moshannon State Forest
    3372 State Park Rd.
    Penfield, PA 15849
    (814) 765-0821
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...rail/index.htm
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

A nice 36 mile loop trail that maybe closer to you is at Oil Creek State Park in Pa. They have two nice shelter sites with camping near by. Both sites have pitt toilets and each of the shelters hold four hikers and also have fireplaces built in. Lots of oil history along the trail, you can stop in at Drakes Well Museum as it is right by the trail.. Several nice vistas along the trail and the trail is well maintained and blazed. If you don't want to do the whole 36 miles there are connecting trail that make smaller loops. This time of year the fall colors should be starting. With first time hikers I highly recommend this trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    A nice 36 mile loop trail that maybe closer to you is at Oil Creek State Park in Pa. They have two nice shelter sites with camping near by. Both sites have pitt toilets and each of the shelters hold four hikers and also have fireplaces built in. Lots of oil history along the trail, you can stop in at Drakes Well Museum as it is right by the trail.. Several nice vistas along the trail and the trail is well maintained and blazed. If you don't want to do the whole 36 miles there are connecting trail that make smaller loops. This time of year the fall colors should be starting. With first time hikers I highly recommend this trail.

i would recommend this trail as well..i live 30 minutes away and hike it frequently. very well maintained and not hard at all

++ New Posts ++