WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

I met a girl in April solo NOBO. She was 14. She's almost done now. I've been following her blogs. It's safe. I never came across anyone that I got a bad feeling about.

Journal Entries
    Images

I met a girl in April at Neels Gap she's hiking solo NOBO. She's 14. I've been following her blog

Penny B, while I am not a female hiker, I did take my two daughters (21 and 18 yrs old) out this year for a week long hike. I do not think they ever felt unsafe, but my mind was full of every worst case scenario. It was VERY nerve racking for me as a father, I got very little sleep, especially the one night in a shelter. I did ask them to carry a small mace can just in case and I would suggest you do the same. If nothing else it provides peace of mind.

We did meet MANY solo female hikers during our travels. We met a Mennonite lady thru hiking, several younger day hikers, and a handful of middle aged section and thru hikers. I was comforted by the “communal” spirit on the trail. Other hikers help keep things safe as well. If my daughter told me she wanted to solo hike, I think I would let her. I would be a wreck, but I would let her go nonetheless.

Images

As a female backpacker who often backpacks solo, I can tell you that you are far safer on the trail than you are in your everyday life. That doesn’t mean the trail is 100% safe – The truth is that danger can lurk no matter where you are. With that, women are far more likely to have dangerous encounters in cities and on college campuses (as examples) than they are out on the trail. The safety instincts you (as a female) have in the city will still be there when you get out on the trail. Just be sure to pause and check-in with yourself every now and then.

In all my years of solo backpacking and traveling, I have never once felt the need to carry mace, or otherwise carry a weapon to defend myself. If I let someone close enough to pose that much of a threat, then there will not be enough time to pull mace out of a pack pocket to defend myself. The best defense one can carry with them is the knowledge that they should listen to their gut instincts. If your gut tells you not to hike/camp near someone, then listen and move along. There have been a couple of instances where I have encountered people who made me feel a bit on-edge. In those instances it was easy enough to grab my pack and move-along.

I am not trying to downplay danger on the trail - It exists. However, there are far more good people on the trail, than there are bad. There is safety in numbers and 99.9% of the backpackers will help you out if you are in any sort of situation where you need help.

If you/your daughter feels uncomfortable around someone just explain that to other backpackers out there – They will be more than happy to help keep you safe. People on the trail tend to be good people and look out for each other.

Journal Entries

"That doesn’t mean the trail is 100% safe – The truth is that danger can lurk no matter where you are."

I've been hiking since the early '70 and have observed that to be true. If you’re conformable being alone in the city than being alone on the trail is no big deal. Being alone is something you learn about as you experience life. While I don't recommend it for 14 year olds it does come around. As noted previously the AT can be hiked solo and there can be hikers all around you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++