WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trip to the Wind River Range- Quick Trip Report and Pics

Piggy backing off of Saltysacks awesome pictures I wanted to share a trip I took in August.

Two of my brothers and I decided to explore the Wind River Range for the first time and decided on a ~50 mile loop over 5 days. We started at the Elkhart Park Trailhead and took the Pole Creek Trail to Pole Creek where we found an awesome spot to camp across a deep stream. From there we toook the Highline Trail over Lester Pass and followed it north until we got to Peak Lake. From Peak Lake we went off trail over Knapsack Col from the East side and down into the Titcomb Basin. We then took the Indian Pass Trail back toward Seneca Lake where we met back up with the Pole Creek Trail to the car. Awesome trip and looking forward to getting back out there.

Photographers Point
    WB 027 Photographers Point.JPG

Pole Creek Lake
    WB 044 Pole Creek Lakes.jpg

Lester Pass
    WB Sean Lester Pass.JPG

View from Lester Pass
    WB Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 066.JPG

Upper Jean Lake Area
    WB Upper Jean Lake Area Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 084.JPG

Peak Lake Area
    WB Peak Lake Area Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 093.JPG

Campsite Eastside of Knapsack Col
    WB Campsite Below Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 101.JPG

Heading up Knapsack Col
    WB Heading up Lester Pass.JPG

Looking East from Knapsack Col
    WB East from Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 109.JPG

Looking West from Knapsack Col
    WB West from Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 113.JPG

Titcomb Basin
    WB Titcomb Basin Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 116.JPG

Seneca Lake
    WB Seneca Lake Wind River Range- August 13-18, 2016 131.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Thanks for sharing those...I'm itching to get back to Wyoming one of these days soon and that just reinforced how badly I need to make it happen.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Something I'm considering in the next year or so, if I can make it fit since it isn't far from home for me. I have the Bighorns in my back yard which is a sister range to the WRR.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Something I'm considering in the next year or so, if I can make it fit since it isn't far from home for me. I have the Bighorns in my back yard which is a sister range to the WRR.
    I've read about the Big Horns here and would like to explore that area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I've read about the Big Horns here and would like to explore that area as well.
    Did you read my Bighorn trip report for my hike? I posted it here a while back

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Did you read my Bighorn trip report for my hike? I posted it here a while back
    Yes I did and I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing it.

Awesome pictures. Did you drive or fly there?

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Awesome pictures. Did you drive or fly there?
    We flew from Washington D.C to Salt Lake City and then drove a rental car to Pinedale, WY. I think the car was $400.00 for the week split 3-ways which wasn't oo bad. We bought flights well in advance and paid ~$500.00/flight

Looks like a great trip....I've added it to the growing list! Great pix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looks like a great trip....I've added it to the growing list! Great pix!

I had to lock up my list and throw away the key. I reckon Wyoming alone could consume a month. Minimum.
    Too many places. Too little time.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Just completed a Wind Traverse mostly following the Dixon route. Even with the snow it was on par with some of the coolest hiking locations that I have been. TItcomb Basin was an incredibly cool place though conditions on Knapsack made that pass a bit more exciting than I would like.

IMG_1985.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Is snow common in early October?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Just completed a Wind Traverse mostly following the Dixon route. Even with the snow it was on par with some of the coolest hiking locations that I have been. TItcomb Basin was an incredibly cool place though conditions on Knapsack made that pass a bit more exciting than I would like.

IMG_1985.JPG
    That is a great picture and brings back some good memories. How did it compare to the Sierra? I am hoping to do a loop out there next year.

Doesn't look like hammock country.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Doesn't look like hammock country.
    It doesn't even look finished.
    Wayne

That is a great picture and brings back some good memories. How did it compare to the Sierra? I am hoping to do a loop out there next year.
    I've only done the JMT in the Sierra but think it's about impossible to compare anything to them here in the lower 48.....incredibly beautiful......Parts of collegiate west rivaled the beauty but think mile for mile the Sierra probably hard to beat....

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I had to lock up my list and throw away the key. I reckon Wyoming alone could consume a month. Minimum.
    Too many places. Too little time.
    Wayne

Sooooooo true....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Is snow common in early October?
    Wayne
    Yes. If you decide to do an early October trip then have plan B-Z developed. We had a couple of very good map sets and still had to supplement at Big Sandy Lodge in order to piece together a route around the weather. If I were to do it again I would do the route in early to mid Sep. the good part about late Sep was going days without seeing people. There were very few people out hiking. Early October would be even more snowy and isolated, workable but chose your route carefully.

Imagine the Sierra without people. Scenery was every bit as good, no permit hassles. The biggest barrier to the Winds is getting there or putting together a point to point trip, this area is super remote. I flew into Riverton and out of Cody. We did the Teton Crest trail and went on into Yellowstone which explains the Cody exit. Jackson is also an option but getting from Green River lakes to Jackson is either a creative hitch which we ended up doing or a 90mile hike through the Gros Ventre Wilderness which was our original plan. THe weather on our first full day made our original plan counterfeit.

if you are looking at loops two suggestions. First get two Beartooth Publishing maps (North and South) even if you play out the route on Caltopo. Second go to Adventure Alan's site and look at his route. If you looping you will in all likelihood use some of his route. Skurka also put out a route and you have the CDT. Between those three you can probably pull together a loop of any length.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Yes. If you decide to do an early October trip then have plan B-Z developed. We had a couple of very good map sets and still had to supplement at Big Sandy Lodge in order to piece together a route around the weather. If I were to do it again I would do the route in early to mid Sep. the good part about late Sep was going days without seeing people. There were very few people out hiking. Early October would be even more snowy and isolated, workable but chose your route carefully.

Imagine the Sierra without people. Scenery was every bit as good, no permit hassles. The biggest barrier to the Winds is getting there or putting together a point to point trip, this area is super remote. I flew into Riverton and out of Cody. We did the Teton Crest trail and went on into Yellowstone which explains the Cody exit. Jackson is also an option but getting from Green River lakes to Jackson is either a creative hitch which we ended up doing or a 90mile hike through the Gros Ventre Wilderness which was our original plan. THe weather on our first full day made our original plan counterfeit.

if you are looking at loops two suggestions. First get two Beartooth Publishing maps (North and South) even if you play out the route on Caltopo. Second go to Adventure Alan's site and look at his route. If you looping you will in all likelihood use some of his route. Skurka also put out a route and you have the CDT. Between those three you can probably pull together a loop of any length.
    You'd recommend the Beartooth Publishing maps over the Earthwalk Press maps?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    You'd recommend the Beartooth Publishing maps over the Earthwalk Press maps?
    Haven't seen the Earthwalk but likely would work equally well as an overview. The Beartooth was extremely helpful as an overview map. We had 1:20k for the Winds which helped on some of the off trail sections but we had to add a broader overview map to deal with our reroutes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++