WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I haven't seen either maps, but while shopping online I noticed one difference:
    Earthwalk scale: 1:48000
    Beartooth scale: 1:100000
    That's quite a difference. Double +.
    Joe Kelsey's book has been on a shelf collecting dust for too long. Time to dust it off and put it to good use. Before I start collecting dust.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Is snow common in early October?
    Wayne

Yes. It doesn't generally last for more than a few days except at the highest elevations, but Wyoming often gets snow as early as the beginning of September. A base-camp horse trip we took three years ago dumped 18" of snow on us in the Bighorns on September 11th...we were supposed to get a couple of inches

Ah, The Rocky Mountains. Got to love them! So refreshing after a summer on or near the Gulf Coast.
    Thank you!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I haven't seen either maps, but while shopping online I noticed one difference:
    Earthwalk scale: 1:48000
    Beartooth scale: 1:100000
    That's quite a difference. Double +.
    Joe Kelsey's book has been on a shelf collecting dust for too long. Time to dust it off and put it to good use. Before I start collecting dust.
    Wayne

I used the Earthwalk Map on my recent loop. August was my first time in the Rockies and I'm currently typing this from a hotel in Colorado, heading to RMNP tomorrow AM. It is amazing out here.

You're hooked. Have fun.
    Please share a weather report and overall impression of RMNP. RMNP was my introduction to the Rockies and I have not been back since forever.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

You're hooked. Have fun.
    Please share a weather report and overall impression of RMNP. RMNP was my introduction to the Rockies and I have not been back since forever.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Just got to Breckenridge after spending the day in RMNP (the wife isn't a camper). Overall impressions were it is a beautiful park. We did a hike from the Glaciar Gorge Trailhead and hiked to Bear Lake and then back past Alberta Falls to Mills Lake. After the hike we drove the Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park to Grand Lake. We saw a herd of elk on the way in and 3 more along Bear Lake Road. The weather surprisingly warm in the 60s around 10,000 feet and 40s (but super windy) around 12,000 feet. Overall it was an awesome trip. Photos from Mills Lake and along Trail Ridge around 11,000 feet.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Thanks! I should return. After the hordes leave.
    Wayne

Did you use a bear can? Aren't grizzlies in that part of Wyoming?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Only required in Grand Teton, or Yellowstone if you don't have a bear bag to hang. You'd be stupid not to hang your food, or have a canister in the WRR or any of that part of Wyoming.

Bear canisters are not required in the WRR but I used one anyways. Grizzlies are reportedly in the Northern section and I hear more prevelant on the east side of the continental divide. Food storage requirements are available on the Bridger-Teton website and in a nutshell (for backpackers) say must be properly stored in a bear resistant canister or a proper hang of X feet high and X feet out. Most people will say hanging is sufficient but I don't see how hanging from a rock face (which most people do) meets the X feet out requirement. I wasn't risking flying out there and only having 5 days to explore only to find out mid trip my hangs aren't sufficient and call the trip early. I was glad I brought the canister as my brothers and I were not doing big miles and spent a good amount of time in camp catching up and taking in the beautiful scenery. They were great seats in camp.

Ursacks have the Rockies' Grizz seal of approval.
    Probably not approved by GTNP. I think that the NPS moves to glacial time.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Bear canisters are not required in the WRR but I used one anyways. Grizzlies are reportedly in the Northern section and I hear more prevelant on the east side of the continental divide. Food storage requirements are available on the Bridger-Teton website and in a nutshell (for backpackers) say must be properly stored in a bear resistant canister or a proper hang of X feet high and X feet out. Most people will say hanging is sufficient but I don't see how hanging from a rock face (which most people do) meets the X feet out requirement. I wasn't risking flying out there and only having 5 days to explore only to find out mid trip my hangs aren't sufficient and call the trip early. I was glad I brought the canister as my brothers and I were not doing big miles and spent a good amount of time in camp catching up and taking in the beautiful scenery. They were great seats in camp.
    So I assume y'all didn't see any grizz or sign? Bear cans do make great seats but sure are a pita to cram into a small pack!

So I assume y'all didn't see any grizz or sign? Bear cans do make great seats but sure are a pita to cram into a small pack!

No signs of bear in the WRR for us. I carried mine in a circuit and it took up a good amount of room but still carried comfortably.

Ursacks have the Rockies' Grizz seal of approval.
    Probably not approved by GTNP. I think that the NPS moves to glacial time.
    Wayne

According to the GTNP Backcountry rules online any container on the Grizzly Bear approved list is okay for use in the park. Ursacks are in. Bearikades are out. I plan to verify that on the phone before I buy the Ursack.
    Wayne

According to the GTNP Backcountry rules online any container on the Grizzly Bear approved list is okay for use in the park. Ursacks are in. Bearikades are out. I plan to verify that on the phone before I buy the Ursack.
    Wayne

This is good to know, please let us know what the phone call confirms also.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    This is good to know, please let us know what the phone call confirms also.
    Will do.
    I won't buy the Ursack Major until I confirm the acceptance by GTNP AND the name of the person who told me it's ok.
    I see that REI has the Major in stock. My dividend and 20% off and I'm good to go along the Continental Divide. Who needs California?
    Wayne

Wayne

I was curious because of a similar situation with RMNP. The Teton National Park web site say canisters, not containers. https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

I bet you'll fine the Ursack, even thought the IGBC approved it, will not be allowed as a substitute

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I was curious because of a similar situation with RMNP. The Teton National Park web site say canisters, not containers. https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

I bet you'll fine the Ursack, even thought the IGBC approved it, will not be allowed as a substitute
    I have the same misgivings.
    On the other hand, I doubt that the park service bothered to rewrite the PDF file to accommodate new technology.
    We'll see what happens.
    Wayne

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I enjoyed looking at your photos. Nice place to visit; I'll have to add it to the bucket list.

So that I could procrastinate on other stuff, I downloaded some of your images and ran them thru a program called LightRoom. I did some tweaking from the images that came from your iPhone 6 and posted them here. I don't know how to send them to you any other way.

WB Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 066.jpg

WB East from Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 109.jpg

WB Seneca Lake Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 131.jpg

WB Campsite Below Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 101.jpg

I have a few more; PM me if you want me to send them to you via email.

Funkmeister.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    I enjoyed looking at your photos. Nice place to visit; I'll have to add it to the bucket list.

So that I could procrastinate on other stuff, I downloaded some of your images and ran them thru a program called LightRoom. I did some tweaking from the images that came from your iPhone 6 and posted them here. I don't know how to send them to you any other way.

WB Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 066.jpg

WB East from Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 109.jpg

WB Seneca Lake Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 131.jpg

WB Campsite Below Knapsack Col Wind River Range- August 13-18- 2016 101.jpg

I have a few more; PM me if you want me to send them to you via email.

Funkmeister.
    Thanks for the updated pictures Funkmeister.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++