WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter on NY/NJ AT

I am section hiking AT-SOBO and NY/NJ is next. I am contemplating doing it this winter. Can anyone give me insight into this section during winter months?

Depends on the year.
    I did these 2 states in November/Dec about 12 years ago and we had 70 degree days and 40 degree nights.
    Dead of winter?
    Take extra clothes, and a great sleeping bag. IMO
    Nights are too short for me. You'll only get about 9 or 10 hours of light and then 14 hours of dark.
    That's a lot of time in the bag.
    Seems to me I remember you can't build fires anymore in NJ.
    That would suck in the winter time as there's too much down time for serious hiking.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

i went through them in early spring on my flip flop and had a fair amount of rain and cold nights. given the elevation lower elevation than what you've been through, those states should be about as mild as it gets in Winter on the AT. You should definitely look forward to it, there is some great stuff in there, for example:

Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, where you can order a pizza from the shelter!
    Appalachian Market (great sandwiches!)
    RPH, again ordering pizza from the shelter!
    Wawayanda State Park
    Harriman State Park
    Bear Mountain
    West Mountain Shelter (since evening will fall sooner you may very well have that view of Manhattan all evening from the shelter. Worth the blue blaze.)

Judging by the number of NOBOs that I know who hate the mid-Atlantic (probably due to the rush and the heat,) I'd think off-season is optimal for hiking NJ/NY, and would love to do that section again. Mile-for-mile its got a ton to offer.

Images

I hiked all of NY in the winter. Agree with above post on it depends on the year. In my case there was little snow, it was a bit cold but very enjoyable. I also did CT in the winter, same deal.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Depends on the year.
    I did these 2 states in November/Dec about 12 years ago and we had 70 degree days and 40 degree nights.
    Dead of winter?
    Take extra clothes, and a great sleeping bag. IMO
    Nights are too short for me. You'll only get about 9 or 10 hours of light and then 14 hours of dark.
    That's a lot of time in the bag.
    Seems to me I remember you can't build fires anymore in NJ.
    That would suck in the winter time as there's too much down time for serious hiking.
    Correct on no fires in NJ. Also, camping only at designated camp sites. In many areas the trail corridor in NJ is amazingly narrow - and with no leaves on the trees it can be pretty surprising when you see how narrow it is.

AT 2012

i am pleased to see everyone supporting the idea that hiking NY and NJ are fine winter endeavors. Embrace the idea of hiking in the dark. Bring katoolah microspikes. Think about bringing snowshoes, and know that if you need to use them (not very likely, by the way) that your pace will be cut in half. Winter makes it so much more of an adventure.
    Lazarus

Images

NJ in summer had the worst mosquitos I have ever met, winter sounds like the best time to hike it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    NJ in summer had the worst mosquitos I have ever met, winter sounds like the best time to hike it!
    Lots of mosquitoes due to all the wet areas - if its not DEET in the summer , its Microspikes in the winter!

This is great hiking in the Winter months, the trail and shelters will be all yours. All you have to do is keep an eye on the weather. You need a 10 or 12 day window if you want to do it all in one go.

I used to hike in Harriman during the winter frequently. It's the best time to go. Some places are icy at times but there are plenty of alternative routes to bypass the worst of them. If there is deep snow bring snowshoes and reduce your daily mileage. Consider collecting some fire wood as you hike, well before arriving at shelters. (note, I'm not usually a campfire person, but in a shelter with a fireplace they're nice. (Keep you stove well away, though)
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 10-17-2016 at 00:36.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I was in NY's Harriman State Park, on the AT, last January and 1 morning when we woke up it was 7 degrees with a howling wind.
    While that's not usual, it's not uncommon.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I was in NY's Harriman State Park, on the AT, last January and 1 morning when we woke up it was 7 degrees with a howling wind.
    While that's not usual, it's not uncommon.
    My snivel meter said -3F the night the raccoon got my pack.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Short days, long nights. Conditions could be... almost anything. Most likely microspikes will suffice, but if there's been fresh snow, snowshoes would be helpful. New York and New Jersey don't have huge high summits (not on the AT, anyway) but they have plenty of scrambling, eg. at "Agony Grind" south of Bear Mountain, and the ridge above Greenwood Lake.

Journal Entries

Yep! Don't wear this type of boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++