WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default How can I convince the Army to let me hike long distance again?

Ok here the deal, as some of you may know I use to hike long distance every year before I join the U.S. Army. Scene then (nearly 7 year now) I have not hiked more than a couple hundred miles here and there.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Last year I reenlisted on the conduction I be allowed to take 30 days off in January to hike the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Maine</st1:State></st1lace>. I end up fill out 27 pages just to take a vacation. After it was over my 1SGT loved my picture and even asked to use some as his desktop.
    <o></o>
    That was only 30 days. I am dying to hike long distance again. Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so. I have the leave time.

Wolf

Good luck Wolf. OF course the Army should know that they have one of the best hikers in you. Amazing they are not taking advantage of that fact. But do get them to let you do what you want? NOw c'mon, that's the US Army you're talking about.
    When i went in the Navy,(1968) I had pretty much experience in electronics (for an 18 year old) and told them so. I asked to get a job related to electronics and the recruiter said: sure, no problem!
    I ended up as a lower level bilge pump maintainer and rarely saw the sky, let alone any electronics.
    perhaps when you get out, you'll be able to do what you want.
    Take care Wolf, i'll see you at the gathering in the fall!

Images

i was in the us navy 78-82,basically they owned me or leased me for 4 years neo

Just think, if you give them 13 more years you can hike all you want. And they will still send you a check every month. You can't beat it.

But in the mean time, maybe you should remind them that it's an "Army of one" these days. Let them know that you really need to have it your way!!!

You signed the contract and raised your hand, that means you accepted the fact that the Army essentially owns your skinny butt until you ETS. Suck it up. Your contract requirements are also pretty much at the convenience of the service. Your ETS date is flexible according to the needs of the service...they can hold onto you as long as they need you during times of national emergency and there isn't anything you can do about it. They can cancel your leave, recall you from leave and send you to war. That's what you agreed to when you signed up and you've got no arguments about your understanding of that after you re-enlisted.

Just keep saving up your leave and delay gratification for a while. When you ETS, you'll have enough leave banked up to cash in and hike worry free for a good long time.

Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95
    Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?
    Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?

As far as getting the time for a full long distance hike while in the military, chances are it's just not going to happen until you're out. You were fortunate that they allowed you to take the 30 days. I like icemans suggestion to save up your leave time and cash it in at the end to finance your next hike. Do that and you can hike in style.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Why the hell did you re-up?

Go UA or AWOL. You'll get your walking papers.

Images

Thumbs down

...they can hold onto you as long as they need you during times of national emergency and there isn't anything you can do about it. ....
    Sadly true, especially since it doesn't even have to be a real national emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    When i went in the Navy,(1968) I had pretty much experience in electronics (for an 18 year old) and told them so. I asked to get a job related to electronics and the recruiter said: sure, no problem!
    I ended up as a lower level bilge pump maintainer and rarely saw the sky, let alone any electronics.
    Well, you know, "Truth, Justice, and The American Way" might mean something just slightly different to the military?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

...Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?
    Well, here's one ex-soldier who was different. He volunteered. I didn't. But the rules were the same.

Actually, I could have gotten out a bit early. I served for 18 months before being "promoted" to private first class. Being in the MP's I had access to all the regulations and knew the regs said they only had 12 months to promote me or discharge me. I didn't press the point because I was enjoying patrolling the streets of Ayer and Lowell. MA and other places around Fort Devens, and figured I would build up GI Bill college money until they tried to send me someplace that used live bullets.

They eventually did that, but I found another regulation that said I couldn't go overseas with less than six months to serve. I had only 5 months and 29 days.

The Army, even in those good old days, wouldn't let me take that five months and 29 days for a long distance hike. But for three months I bounced around the Seattle area, exploring Rainier, boating on Puget Sound, and visiting a lot of bars, especially patriotic bars with patrons that "would do anything" for us valiant soldiers.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000
    That was only 30 days. I am dying to hike long distance again. Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so. I have the leave time.

Wolf
    Sounds like the Army fulfilled its end of the agreement. Question- It's mid-January. Why are you posting this during your "30 day hike"? Seems to me like your wasting quality hiking time right now. Go hike, then get back to the soldiering you re-signed up for. I don't know your specific situation with your commander and 1SG, but most would be hard pressed to give anyone 60 days of consecutive leave, unless they were on transition leave out of the Army. You'll have other opportunities to hike while in the Army, albeit in shorter spurts.
    Sua Sponte

Images

He actually had the 30 days last January 05- you can check out his register entries through the entire state of Maine, not to mention the photos he took during the winter hike. Try fording the Kennebec in January - Effen COLD!
    Hey Wolf - I really don't want to marry a man in a uniform, and walking through a wall of swords creeps me out. Are you gonna be out of the military before the wedding?????
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

[quote=Blister]He actually had the 30 days last January 05- quote]

OK, thanks for the clarification.
    Sua Sponte

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?
    Think it is point blank and great advice. What else can you do?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

[QUOTE=Ender]Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?
    QUOTE]

Not really.

The Army is a fairly uncompromising employer, and a soldier with 7 years in already knows that...or should. The military is rule bound. When you sign a contract you are expected to live up to the terms of that contract to the letter and the Army will do the same so long as other needs don't get in the way. But be aware that the Army will enforce the contract to the letter so be sure you know what all those letters are before you sign. What your recruiter or retension NCO tells you may not actually be on the contract, so make sure it is before you sign...once it is signed there are no guarantees you can make changes, and certainly not for something as non-essential as going for a long-distance hike. If your parents died and you needed to take some time off to put things in order, that would be different.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Wolf--

Have you ever thought of transferring to the unit that designs and field tests packs, gear, clothing, etc.

There's been a great deal of press lately about military equipment, and how some soldiers resist wearing some items because of discomfort or weight. I'm sure some very wise heads are busy working on making new gear comfortable, lightweight, and effective. You should be one of these people.

I don't know what your present specialization is, but with your outdoors background, I think you'd be perfect to help field test new gear and equipment, and would be in a unique position to make positive suggestions and criticisms for the folks who make and improve gear. You'd be performing a valuable service to the Army, and you'd probably get to hike a good deal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Wolf--

Have you ever thought of transferring to the unit that designs and field tests packs, gear, clothing, etc.
    Great idea, Jack, if you can get the gig...

http://www.arl.army.mil/main/main/default.htm

http://www.atec.army.mil/index.htm

Lots of interesting stuff going on right now, especially with infantry and spec ops development and testing.
    Sua Sponte

jesus. is this a joke thread? lord i hope so. talk about a me generation.

if not, then go do your crying to sgt. rock. he does what hiking he can when he can, knowing the big stuff will have to come later, after his commitment.

Wolf,

Didn't you and your gilfriend try to catch up with Ward Leonard one year as he was hiking through Maine. If so, how many miles were you two putting in per day?

Tell the Army that you want to patrol the US/Canada border on foot. Its one of the most poorly protected borders around isnt it? The country needs you up there soldier. Go keep those crazy canucks in line..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++