WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2017 NOBO partner wanted

I retire at the end of the year. I hope to start at Springer between Mid-March and early April. I am pretty flexible. I hope to finish 5 months later. I live in Maine so it would be great to make it all the way "home".

I used to do a lot of extended trip hiking when I was in high school and college. Not much since then. I am in decent shape and plan to do strength training between now and when I start.

Full disclosure - I am an atheist and a liberal. I will not try to convert you so please don't try to convert me.

Quote Originally Posted by ra0094 View Post
    I retire at the end of the year. I hope to start at Springer between Mid-March and early April. I am pretty flexible. I hope to finish 5 months later. I live in Maine so it would be great to make it all the way "home".

I used to do a lot of extended trip hiking when I was in high school and college. Not much since then. I am in decent shape and plan to do strength training between now and when I start.

Full disclosure - I am an atheist and a liberal. I will not try to convert you so please don't try to convert me.
    There are a few of us departing Springer in mid-March. I suggest visiting the Class of 2017 thru-hiker forum, introduce yourself to the others and post that you are looking for a partner there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ra0094 View Post
    Well that has just blown any chance of walking with me. I worship the Great Pumpkin and believe in most cases the only good politician is the one in jail.

Joking aside, I want to meet new people on the trail but the only things I hate discussing is religion and politics.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Well that has just blown any chance of walking with me. I worship the Great Pumpkin and believe in most cases the only good politician is the one in jail.

Joking aside, I want to meet new people on the trail but the only things I hate discussing is religion and politics.
    Some of the most interesting discussions I've ever had centered on religion and/or politics. It just requires two persons with an open mind and the patience to recognize the rights of others to hold an opposing viewpoint. I admit that caveat does narrow down the field quite a bit.

As for the OP, congrats on the pending retirement, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. You will have no shortage of hiking partners with a mid-March to April start. There are between 20 and 60 starting each day at that time. The odds are great you'll end up loosely associated with a group fairly quickly. Hope to see you out there, we're starting March 8th and we're getting more excited every day.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I've just changed my start date to my lucky number 13th Mar. Decided I needed another day instead of rushing around like a mad person trying to get it done in one. Probably have a little jet lag as well since I'm flying west to east.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I am hiking Georgia section Springer to past Bly Gap in Mid March. When are you starting ?
    Just ignore it

just show up at springer in march..you will meet many people to hike with..

++ New Posts ++