WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Skyline Loop Questions

I've done day hikes in SNP from Thornton Gap but never multi-day. Are we able to leave vehicles in the parking lots and do they charge for how many days you're in the park when you leave? If I can park outside the park and save a little cash it would be a bonus but no biggy if you can't avoid it.

The goal is to do a 3-day loop somewhere in the central SNP section and try to hit as many vistas and points of interest as possible. It looks like you can hit a lot of that on the AT itself. I haven't settled on where to start but it would be nice to end on the last day at a campground so we can shower and relax for a couple hours before hitting the road to drive home (6hr drive). Only other issue I see is the lack of water at higher elevations and I really don't want to hull 8 liters of fluid but I may have to. If anyone can share some advice on the parking and possible side trails I'd appreciate any help!

They do not charge parking fees and the entrance fee is a one-time fee.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb No extra charge

> do they charge for how many days you're in the park when you leave?

When you pay the $20 entrance fee, it covers admittance to Shenandoah for one week.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...rance_fees.htm

Also, for Thorton Gap (ie, U.S. Highway 211), there are two parking lots. This is discussed here
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...TPictures.aspx
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=136
    Tap the [Map] Button in the first discussion for an overview of the set up.
    One of the parking areas -- called the "lower" parking lot -- has a direct entrance from Highway 211. The other one -- the "upper" lot -- has an entrance from Skyline Drive. If you park at the upper lot, you've entered the National Park and you must pay the entrance fee. AS BEST I CAN TELL (please note the previous words), there is no fee to park in the lower lot. Thus, if you use Thorton Gap as a starting or end point, you *MAY* be able to park there for free. I have no clue about the safety of your car when parking at either lot.

You can park in this lot safely once you pay the admission fee. While I have never done it or have the map set, I believe you can do a loop from there and incorporate Mary's Rock and Old Rag. Join the Shenandoah National Park Hikers FB page and you will have many responses fairly quick.

++ New Posts ++