WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Dreamers Hiker Hostel in Ceres, VA

Just concluded a two week section hike from Damascus, VA, to VA 623 (about 17 miles south of Bland, VA). Aside from a little rain associated with Hurricane Matthew, the conditions were fantastic. We met a southbound section hiker just outside of Atkins, VA, and he highly recommended a new hostel nearby - the Appalachian Dreamer Hiker Hostel. After eating a great lunch at The Barn in Atkins, we contacted Mack "Lumber Mack" Spainhour, the hostel owner and made arrangements for a pickup further down the trail. We eventually made it to the appointed location and met "Lumber Mack", who shuttled us into Bland for a resupply - then took us back to the hostel. We were treated to a beautiful new hostel that has a "rented mountain cabin" vibe. (The view from the front porch is spectacular.) Mack was an entertaining and gracious host. An evening meal and breakfast are provided. Laundry facilities, Wi-Fi, a full service kitchen, showers and a clean, comfortable bunk room are available. "Lumber Mack" also provides shuttle services with a little advance notice. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and will be sure to stop by again when hiking in the area.

Just wanted to let other hikers know about this wonderful place. "Lumber Mack" (and his lovely wife, Kelly) can be reached at 276-682-4061 or via e-mail at [email protected]. The hostel is located at 502 Dotson Ridge Road, Ceres, VA 24318. Their website is www.appalachiandreamerhikerhostel.com

Thanks for the information, I had never heard of this place. I need to finish the section between Mt. Rogers HQ and Pearisburg next Spring/Summer, this sounds like a great place to shuttle to/from.

Thanks for the information, I had never heard of this place. I need to finish the section between Mt. Rogers HQ and Pearisburg next Spring/Summer, this sounds like a great place to shuttle to/from.

Images

The hostel & lodging section of the site states this hostel is closed for the 2020 season, probably because of COVID-19 but I just spoke to Mack and they are open. I am planning a section hike first week of October so I called just for verification and I got my name on the list for the night I'd be passing through and Mack was very informative with a detailed spot on the trail where I'd get a good cell signal to call him and he will pick me up the VA 42 crossing. WhiteBlaze Pages states open April - October so now that it is mid-September may want to call and verify availability depending on how late in the year you would be passing through.

I stayed there in 2017. It was a super clean place and Mack was just an awesome host. As SmokyMtn Hiker pointed out cell phone reception is really spotty there, so you might want to try to reach him on the trail. You can walk to the hostel, but it's a long walk.

Mack cooking in the kitchen.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

++ New Posts ++