WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or Nemo Hornet 2P ???

Hello,

I will begin a section hike of the AT in 2017. I am in the process of getting my gear together now. I would like to carry an ultralight tent. I have narrowed down my choices to the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and the Nemo Hornet 2P. There are some things I like about each over the other and am having a difficult time deciding between the two. I would be interested in any opinions on why I should choose one over the other.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steppin'Wolf View Post
    Hello,

I will begin a section hike of the AT in 2017. I am in the process of getting my gear together now. I would like to carry an ultralight tent. I have narrowed down my choices to the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and the Nemo Hornet 2P. There are some things I like about each over the other and am having a difficult time deciding between the two. I would be interested in any opinions on why I should choose one over the other.

Thanks in advance for replying.
    I own both a UL1 and a UL2. I gave my son the ul1 to use. I like the extra space the UL2 gives you. You can layout your mat and sleeping bag have room to layout your cloth next to you while its pouring outside with room for your boots and water without hitting stuff. I'm 6'2 the tent just fits me length wise but I can sit up change and drink out of a water bottle with any strange twisting or contorting. Toss your head lamp in the over head pocket and it hands free all night. I did change out the tent stakes for Zpacks carbon fiber ones. cut the weight off the stakes in half (they made a great stocking stuffer). bought mine used off whiteblaze and have loved every minute in it. Rain, thunder, lighting, wind, down to 35 degrees it hasn't let me down yet. Oh and my daughter loves to sleep in it - in the living room.

We got the Fly Creek UL3 for the two of us. Really appreciate the extra room however there isn't a way three pads would actually fit in this to make it a 3 person tent! The UL2 is more like a 1.5 person tent. Worried at first about the ultra light weight fabric, but after 250 miles, so far no issues, Takes rain well, but there is some backsplash issue in heavy rain if you don't lower the fly sides, which then reduces the ventilation...

Ditch the stakes that came with it. We went with the MountainSmith light aluminum but they required a Dremel to take the edge off the the guy hook and aren't worth the effort. Go with sheppard hook Ti stakes. Be prepared to replace the guy lines straight away with some reflective Dyneema 2mm cording for safety. The guy lines included don't have the cutting/bursting resistance needed for a thru hike. Ditch the bags it came with for a cuben bag for the tent and fly and a cuben bag for the stakes. Same for the pole bag. Be sure to dry the heck out of the tent after a rain, the lightweight fabric is especially susceptible to mold. You may want to spring the 70 bucks for the custom ground cloth which unites with the pole ends for a super-effective ground moisture system. The floor is incredibly thin...and there is only one door.

All the above said....wouldn't trade it. No leaks, runs, drips or errors. Easy to set-up, sets up fly first if needed for rain event, stable in the wind, great ventilation. Good size vestibule. Very light. Very well designed.

I'm struggling with a similar decision myself: the BA Fly Creek 2 or the BA Copper Spur 1. The folks at REI set them both up for me, and I'm seriously leaning toward the Copper Spur....primarily for the side door, the free-standing easy assembly, and the outstanding reviews. There's only a 5 oz difference, and I think the side door alone is worth that. But maybe......

I also love the idea of the Lightheart Solo, but REI dividend offers the best price for the Big Agneses (free.99)
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 11-21-2016 at 21:35.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm struggling with a similar decision myself: the BA Fly Creek 2 or the BA Copper Spur 1. The folks at REI set them both up for me, and I'm seriously leaning toward the Copper Spur....primarily for the side door, the free-standing easy assembly, and the outstanding reviews. There's only a 5 oz difference, and I think the side door alone is worth that. But maybe......

I also love the idea of the Lightheart Solo, but REI dividend offers the best price for the Big Agneses (free.99)

This would be my choice for a solo tent for a thru-hike....

http://gossamergear.com/the-one-shelter.html

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    This would be my choice for a solo tent for a thru-hike....

http://gossamergear.com/the-one-shelter.html
    I'm not a fan of single wall tents, so this is not one I would pick even though it looks pretty sweet.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Hi Steppin: Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but I have the BA Fly Creek UL 2 and would not recommend it, given that there are better choices out there. I'm currently using a Zpacks Duplex and that is one awesome tent, head and shoulders above the BA. On a thru, you will appreciate the extra room, plus it comes in at 10 ounces lighter than the BA! But it will cost you some extra bucks. I would also consider the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 over the BA, but I have only seen this tent, not used it in the field. The cost of the Lightheart should be about the same as the BA. I'm not familiar with the Nemo.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Hi Steppin: Not to throw a monkey wrench into things, but I have the BA Fly Creek UL 2 and would not recommend it, given that there are better choices out there. I'm currently using a Zpacks Duplex and that is one awesome tent, head and shoulders above the BA. On a thru, you will appreciate the extra room, plus it comes in at 10 ounces lighter than the BA! But it will cost you some extra bucks. I would also consider the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 over the BA, but I have only seen this tent, not used it in the field. The cost of the Lightheart should be about the same as the BA. I'm not familiar with the Nemo.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    The Zpacks Duplex and Triplex are nice tents, for sure.

However, let's look at the differences....

The Cuben fibre tents, when properly guyed out taught, are like drums. Imagine being inside a drum during a thunderstorm...seriously....

That said, the Cuben fibre tents don't stretch, so there is no need to re-guy during a prolonged storm...

The Cuben fibre tents are translucent during daytime and offer questionable privacy

The Cuben fibre tents are lighter, in large part, due to the fact they rely on your hiking poles. The BA comes with poles....

The Cuben fibre tents are not freestanding.

The Cuben fibre tents have more of an issue with condensation.

The Cuben fibre tent doesn't need to dry out. A quick snap shake and pack it. The BA has to be dried to avoid mold/mildew that will eat the fabric.

The ZPack Triplex costs twice as much as the BA UL3.

The BA is mostly freestanding.

If money were no object, and I could get around the drum noise in the rain, I'd go with the Zpack....

YMMV

Images

I can only speak to the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 - I have never used the Nemo Hornet 2. Gear is a very personal choice and what works for one person, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

With that, I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It has never given me any issues and I also have no issue with the front entry. That might be an issue if you are taller (I am 5'6"). I have used my tent for 4 years and it is still in great shape. Though, it is awesome to know my tent is covered by a lifetime warranty should something fail. At this point, I feel I have more than gotten my moneys worth, so I would not collect on that...but, it is nice to know they stand behind their product.

I have always been more than pleased with the amount of space my tent offers. It has kept me warm, dry, and I have been a very satisfied customer. This tent has been mostly used as a 1 person tent. The door would be more of an issue if I was planning on consistently having another person in the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    The Zpacks Duplex and Triplex are nice tents, for sure.

However, let's look at the differences....

The Cuben fibre tents, when properly guyed out taught, are like drums. Imagine being inside a drum during a thunderstorm...seriously....

That said, the Cuben fibre tents don't stretch, so there is no need to re-guy during a prolonged storm...

The Cuben fibre tents are translucent during daytime and offer questionable privacy

The Cuben fibre tents are lighter, in large part, due to the fact they rely on your hiking poles. The BA comes with poles....

The Cuben fibre tents are not freestanding.

The Cuben fibre tents have more of an issue with condensation.

The Cuben fibre tent doesn't need to dry out. A quick snap shake and pack it. The BA has to be dried to avoid mold/mildew that will eat the fabric.

The ZPack Triplex costs twice as much as the BA UL3.

The BA is mostly freestanding.

If money were no object, and I could get around the drum noise in the rain, I'd go with the Zpack....

YMMV
    Hi ScareBear: Everything you say is true. In addition, the BA would be better in colder weather, as you can zip it up tight to cut down on the cold breeze going over your sleeping bag. By their nature tarptents need to allow adequate airflow to prevent condensation. That being said, I would still not recommend the Fly Creek UL2 for a thru-hike. For one thing, the fabric is so light, I doubt it would last unless you treated it with extreme care. The tent floor is a joke, requiring you to being a tyvek groundsheet, adding another 6 ounces in weight (don't bother with the BA footprint, it's made out of the same material as the tent floor). I can name a couple of superior alternatives to the BA at around the same price and weight. But, as I say, if you got the $$$, go with the Duplex.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I've heard some bad reviews of Nemo tents, but the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is a proven product among thru hikers.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

OP: let me know if you decide on the BA FC UL2. I have a well used, but still completely viable/functional one I am willing to let go. I also have a BA seedhouse SL1, same kind of tent, still plenty big for one.

We now use a zpacks cuben tent.

The Nemo Hornet is my favorite traditional double walled tent. I have owned the BA Fly Creek series and I am not a fan of their fuzzy math and how they deceptively advertise the interior floor space. You get less floor space due to the sloping of the walls (even with the new HV style). Not to mention you have to crawl in head first.

The Nemo 2P has two doors and vestibules, is side entry, and the way the door and fly are opposed to each other, creates an easier entry. Additionally, you do not have to crawl over gear to go outside to use the privy at 3am On light rainy days, you can lay in your tent, open one fly and make coffee without worrying about rain coming in. Finally, the peak height is in the middle of the tent where you sit up, unlike the Fly Creek that is mostly at the entrance.

Sorry I have been away for a while. Thanks so much for all of the input. I have decided on the Nemo Hornet 2P. I'll let you know how I like it.

What weight is considered ultralight for a 1 man and 2 man tent?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steppin'Wolf View Post
    Sorry I have been away for a while. Thanks so much for all of the input. I have decided on the Nemo Hornet 2P. I'll let you know how I like it.
    Have you seen them side by side? If not, and if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I would recommend calling Nemo and Big Agnes and find out if the product dimensions they quote are interior corner to corner or exterior stake to stake. That could change things dramatically if one quotes lengths one way and the other quotes the other way.

I am also looking at the nemo but I haven't meet anyone who has actually used this tent. I am curious on the setup in the rain and how the moisture inside will be. Steppinwolf have you set the tent up yet spent time in it yet any comments on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    I am also looking at the nemo but I haven't meet anyone who has actually used this tent. I am curious on the setup in the rain and how the moisture inside will be. Steppinwolf have you set the tent up yet spent time in it yet any comments on it?

I took a Nemo Dagger 3P tent on a 6 week backpacking trip through Scotland (was with my wife) 2 years ago. I usually carry a TT Double Rainbow when I am hiking by myself locally. I just like extra room in a tent (I carry a wide sleeping pad for example) and most tents can make me feel claustrophobic. I just wanted a large double wall tent for that weather over there. It is a great tent - easy and quick to set up. Plenty of room for us and our gear. Nice design (two doors and vestibules is a must for us) and really stood up to way worse wind and storms than anything I have ever encountered (or hope to encounter again) hiking here on the East Coast and SE USA. In fact, I believe we had gale force winds at the base of Ben Nevis, which is their highest mountain. I don't think we slept a wink that night but the tent did its job. It's a bit big and bulky (and pricey at full MSRP) and by no means a minimalist shelter but I don't think you can get a "perfect" tent.Bottom line,I think it is a good piece of gear. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand (I also own one of their sleeping pads - also a quality piece of gear).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++