WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First JMT thru-hike

So I am planning my trip for the last week in August and would like to start at Crescent Meadow in Sequoia. I am not planning on taking the trip to Whitney, as I have been there before, and will just take the JMT on to Yosemite from the HST and JMT intersection. I realize I will probably be blasted by those who do not consider this a true thru-hike, but it is what I want to see and do, so please reserve the comments regarding what is a thru hike and what is not to an AT related post since that seems to be a very popular discussion when it comes to that particular trail.(FWIW I have sectioned and thru hiked the AT and have no issues with those who do so) I am just here looking for any and all advice , tips, etc that will make my planning and prep easier and more efficient. There is no substitute for first hand experience and knowledge to me and I will take all that I can get. I have read nearly every post and informative web based site and trail journal that I can but still want that first hand knowledge. I will especially welcome any knowledge/wisdom one may have regarding the permit system and am definitely open to alternate starting points. thanks in advance for all of the help this community provides.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My first question would be "what is your plan for acclimatizing?

Louisville KY is pretty much sea level. Doing the JMT NOBO means you start at the highest elevations. You pretty much hit the trail starting at 11,000' and start by crossing Forester Pass @ 13,000'. The first place the trail drops to 10,000' (which is still a high elevation to start with) is only at the lowest point between Glen and Forester Pass, then a 5 mile stretch between Glen and Pinchot, and then then the trail drops again ALMOST to 10,000' between Mather and Pinchot.

I did the trail this year SOBO. I'm use to the elevations of GSMNP, so the 1st day in Yosemite I was fine going up to 7,000'. But the second day, I could already fell the effects of the thinner air as I started climbing above 8,000'. I wasn't getting sick or even had headaches at that point. But I could already notice the difference in performance compared to hiking below 7,000'. My second night was at 9,500', and by the 3rd day, I was getting some headaches hiking in the Tuolume area. Third night was at 9,000', where I felt sick (but I think that might be due to dehydration... the relatively level hike of Lyle Canyon didn't push my body to want to drink enough). The forth night I was at 10,000, and the next morning, I could still feel the effects of the altitude the next morning. As I approached Red's the 5th day, I noticed the increase in my performance as I dropped back down to "only" 8,000'

Now during all this time, I was using a low dose of that altitude medication, and I didn't have major problems with loss of appetite or major headaches. But it wasn't until I reached Red's before issues with altitude went away.

I've seen a couple of You-Tube videos of people who have tried NOBO of the JMT, and the altitude has made them horribly ill... to the point of having to abort the hike.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 10-21-2016 at 12:10.

Images

If you start out very modestly, your odds of getting AMS (altitude sick) are small, despite the constant wild claims on here. I've had dozens of people from sea level visit me in Colorado and we've headed up into the high country soon in their visit, and I can only remember one single instance of getting actual AMS.
    If you're actually seriously concerned, I suggest getting a prescription of Diamox from your doc, and taking a tablet or two before leaving home to make sure you don't have a bad reaction. Despite what your doc will tell you, like to take 250mg twice a day, take half of that or less. Most docs have no experience in Diamox except for Glaucoma patients, where the 250mg twice a day is the standard dose. It has been shown than amounts less than half that do the trick for staving off AMS.
    Once you get out west, start taking small amounts of it a day or two before you start, than continue taking small amounts for 3-4 days into your hike, then see how you feel without taking it for a day or so.
    "small amounts": For realy high mountain climbs (>20K), I take a half a 125mg tablet twice a day. If you do this, try to get 125mg tablets; it's tough to break 250mg tablets into fourths!

Lots of folks might now chime in on the weird side effects of taking Diamox (tingly fingers, having to pee a lot, weird tastes), but if you stick to 62mg doses, I can virtually guarantee you won't have these side effects.

I like your overall scheme, and I personally wouldn't ever consider a SOBO JMT again. I've hiked the JMT twice now (one half trail SOBO, a full trail NOBO). We actually plan on repeating a third time this next year as part of our PCT attempt.

Sounds great.
    I don't see acclimatization as an issue for that route. Crescent meadow is only 6500 ft, and 11.4 miles down the trail (bearpaw meadow) it's still only around 1,000 ft higher after some ups and downs. Maybe hookoo missed the fact that you're starting on the HST for awhile

i'm looking at doing the HST + trip to whitney portal as part of our honeymoon with my fiance mid-september.

[QUOTE=colorado_rob;2099487 I've had dozens of people from sea level visit me in Colorado and we've headed up into the high country soon in their visit, and I can only remember one single instance of getting actual AMS.[/QUOTE]

I was there with my fiance late sept and neither of us had an issue getting into things quickly (we live around sea level), but colorado makes it easy. I could acclimatize for the first night just drinking beer in denver!

I thought I would be able to acclimatize before doing the HST by staying with my family in tulare, CA for a day (nearby sequoia). then I found out they're only at 300ft! Cancel that family visit.

I did a trip starting out of Crescent Meadow before, and altitude was not an issue. I loved starting from there... the sequoias were amazing and public transportation to the trailhead was hassle-free (took the Sequoia shuttle to the park, then used the park shuttle to get to the trailhead). I didn't do the HST together with the JMT, but I think that would be a great way to do it. The HST is really scenic, and if you've already climbed Whitney before, it makes sense to just connect to the JMT and go to Yosemite.

Me likee likee. Great plan. That's a GREAT Sierra hike. Non cookie cutter too. CONGRATS! Coffee just did this. The two of you deserve kudos for thinking out of the box. Get to see the east and west sides side of the Sierra crossing over divides/ranges, take in the Giant Redwoods, greater access to more hot springs..... Your itinerary is a more comprehensive Sierra experience IMO. Opting for your route is better from a having to experience a busy Aug MT W crowding standpoint. Where's you first anticipated resupply? That itinerary puts you into decent range of resupply at Kearsarge Pass where you shouldn't have issue getting a hitch or having a resupply left at the Onion Valley TH. I also mimic everything everyone else said other than having a high risk of AMS.

Heather can you expand on this, 'public transportation to the trailhead was hassle-free (took the Sequoia shuttle to the park, then used the park shuttle to get to the trailhead)?'

Journal Entries

Sequoia shuttle runs from visalia, which has amtrak svc. So if do it in dates shuttle runs, it is simple. Only simple way to get to Sequoia really.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2016 at 06:09.

I took the Sequoia Shuttle (which you should reserve online) to the park from Visalia (can be reached by Amtrak or bus from LA). I thought the shuttle ride was quite scenic and would happily use it again. Once you arrive, you can use Sequoia National Park's comprehensive, free shuttle system which can get you to Crescent Meadow and other locations within the park. It's really difficult to get a campsite at Lodgepole, but you can pretty much always get a site at Dorst Creek (which can be accessed through the in-park shuttle)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Heather can you expand on this, 'public transportation to the trailhead was hassle-free (took the Sequoia shuttle to the park, then used the park shuttle to get to the trailhead)?'

Thanks for all of the great information. I will arrive a full day before and just hang out and do some walking. Inhale hiked on the CT and jmt before and realize the differences from where I live. My physical conditioning will definitely not be an issue.

What is the best airport to fly into for a sequoia start??

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    The big airports are all about 3 hours (LA, San jose, Sacramento) from Visalia shuttle. I will likely go to LA because it's way cheaper from where I'm flying
    Bakersfield has an airport about an hour from Visalia but might be expensive

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    That depends on your definition of best.
    Price? Bus schedule? Train schedule?
    Most likely have to overnight in visalia and shuttle out to sequoia next morning regardless.

Ive flown into bakersfield because i use freq flyer miles, not pay for tickets. Direct flight into there late evening after work gets me there conveniently. Almost no one considers this option.

You honestly have to work backwards with airline/bus/train schedules and hotel an airfare prices and figure out what makes most sense for you. Including whether can get to airport same day finish or need another hotel stay. These end effect add hundreds of dollars to this type trip.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-23-2016 at 21:18.

I am definitely planning on at least 2 full days of travel and staying somewhere(preferably a campground) and allowing up to 4. I will be coming from much lower altitude so want at least a day of just kicking it to acclimatize a bit, but had no issue last year. I hike/backpack every weekend in the Red River Gorge and Big south Fork areas of Kentucky, so my physical fitness level is good. I flew into Fresno last year but started hiking at Yosemite. Honestly-- I want cheap but not crazy logistics. I have plenty of time off of work. The JMT section hike start at Yosemite was fairly easy from Fresno(at least I thought) despite what some said. the bus fares were cheap and the scheduling was easy. Like I said, I guess want the cheapest overall( including ground fares).
    Muddy--what is the best ground transport from Bakersfield to Visalia?
    Thanks for all of the input guys/gals. I really do appreciate it.

Journal Entries

From bakersfield, like most places, amtrak train + bus gets you to visalia. But you get there after shuttle for sequoia has left, and must spend night and wait till next day. When you consider a couple nights in hotels and wasted time, it can be easier to hire someone to drive you. Not a big deal to me, I stay in hotels for free usually too due to all my work travel accumulated points.

The sequoia shuttles leave 6-10 am or such. And you have to get from amtrak to a shuttle pickup location, like a hotel.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-24-2016 at 17:07.

It's different for everyone. I live in PA(1000-2000ft), and went from flying into Denver, to the top of Mt. Elbert (14400) in one day without any effects.

Your physical conditioning accounts for more imo.... and if you are truly worried, speak to your doctor about a script for Diamox.

Pick an INT AP and take the Amtrak to Visalia and switch to a shuttle to Crescent Meadow. Another option, which is one of the best in terms of easiest and most straight forward, is to fly into Fresno's Int AP. I've found cheap flights in the past that were comparably priced to LAX, SAC, or Reno with much less transfers and far less on the ground travel distance and time to get to Crescent Meadow. Sac, LAX, San Fran, and Reno are NOT NEAR Crescent Meadow with other options better identified as best. Take the Big Tree shuttle from Fresno to Grant Grove. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/parktransit.htm Bakersfield Int AP is another logistically sensible option.

++ New Posts ++