WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Esbit stove

Default Esbit stove

After years of running an MSR Simmerlite, I decided to buy an Esbit stove. Not only is it ultra light but the fuel tablets are only 0.5 ounces. You can bring a lot of tablets before you start feeling their weight! Plus they won't spill in your pack like liquid fuel can.

I admit I was a little sceptical at first but since the stove and tablets are realtively cheap, I figured I could always buy it and toss it if I didn't like it. I cooked a meal for my family with it and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. The only drawback I can see at this point is that once you've gotten your water to boil, the flame is too hot to cook your food without burning it so I had to hold the pot higher until the meal was ready. I guess that means I'll need to figure out a better way of rising the pot off the flame. I also noticed a smell coming from the tablet as it was burning but that didn't bother me.

What are your experiences with the Esbit stove? Any other drawbacks I'm not seeing yet?

Esbit thoughts:
    Pros: As you say, super light (able to be the lightest system anywhere that I am aware of), super simple (can use rocks as your pot stand, so only have to carry fuel and pot, no moving parts to break or jets to clog), super packable, shipable, quiet, great as fire starter, super cheap to start using even if slightly more expensive to use in the long run.
    Cons: Slightly more expensive than other fuels, smellier (stinkier) than most other fuels, slightly dirtier than most other fuels, slow to heat (i.e. not a super hot flame, similar to alcohol), fixed fuel volume, can't just turn off or down, open-uncontrolled flame makes it unusable during certain fire bans, doesn't have that super manly torch sound or appearance when cooking.

Some other thoughts:
    Can probably get esbit to simmer by placing a bit of heavy foil over the fuel lump to reduce oxygen availability rate. Maybe a bit of foil shaped like a table with legs dropped over the cube

I love Esbit some times, especially solo and summer. I wouldn't want to use it as my primary winter fuel source when I have snow to melt to make water.
    Even if you can figure out how to simmer with it, it isn't as nice for cooking as my jetboil mini-mo stove (especially for more than one person) that can be super hot and fast, and still can simmer really nicely.

I almost always carry an esbit tablet or two in my emergency kit for multiple reasons.
    1) great fire starter!
    2) I can run tighter on the amount of my primary stove fuel that I carry because, I know I have an easy backup if needed.
    3) If I am going primarily stoveless, I can still have a hot meal (or drink) now and then, if I want, at a very low weight cost.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

You can buy esbit (off brand) in bulk from Sportsman's Guide ( no connection to firm).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I use esbit exclusively on long hikes. I'm currently using a Caldera Cone setup by Trail Designs and really like it.

Esbit doesn't spill, doesn't need a special container, I always know how much I have left, and when it's gone - it's gone. It's also useful for other things - like starting a fire.

On shorter hikes (4 days or less) I carry a canister stove because it's just easier and quicker.

Edited to add: Unless I'm stoveless. What I'm trying to say is that my cooking method is like everything else - I tailor my gear to the hike.
    Last edited by 10-K; 10-24-2016 at 13:01.

Nice to know Mouser999. Thanks for the tip.

As I freezer bag cook, all I use my stove for is boiling water.

Esbit can be blown out if you don't want to burn the entire thing, so does that count as an off valve during for restrictions? Doing so is like blowing out one of those trick candles so you have to put a lot of force into it. But conversely, esbit doesn't work well in windy conditions. To cook efficiently with it, you really need a good wind screen setup.

I find that they light easier with a drop of alcohol hand sanitizer on top.

My only complaint is the residue left on the pot. You have to rub off the loose stuff on sand or vegetation or it gets all over your storage sack. The remainder is a pain to scrub off at home, so my pot usually is blackened on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    My only complaint is the residue left on the pot. You have to rub off the loose stuff on sand or vegetation or it gets all over your storage sack. The remainder is a pain to scrub off at home, so my pot usually is blackened on the bottom.
    My only pet peeve also! That 'goo' is a real PITA!!!

44.99 for 100 right now on their site

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    44.99 for 100 right now on their site
    Yes I saw that. $89.99 for 200. In both cases that comes to 45 cents per tablet. Here in town they sell them in packages of 12 at $12.99. Ordering online is a no brainer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    You can buy esbit (off brand) in bulk from Sportsman's Guide ( no connection to firm).
    How does it compare with the original esbit?

I've used them and except for the packaging no difference to me.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm sensitive to Esbit. Can't abide the fumes.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Poor heat output.
    No flame control.
    Funky stink and residue.
    Obscenely expensive.
    White gas and isoButane are a no brainer. Have been since forever.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I use Esbit as a backup with my Vargo Titanium wood stove. it's cool to be able to cook with just a handful of twigs or the Esbit when it's wet.

in this context the black residue on the pot is not an issue. and for those who don't like the smell, I understand it is a distinct chemical smell that can disrupt the ambiance or your nature hike but I just stay upwind as much as it is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I use Esbit as a backup with my Vargo Titanium wood stove. it's cool to be able to cook with just a handful of twigs or the Esbit when it's wet.

in this context the black residue on the pot is not an issue. and for those who don't like the smell, I understand it is a distinct chemical smell that can disrupt the ambiance or your nature hike but I just stay upwind as much as it is possible...
    As far as the smell, I really think this is overstated somewhat. Yes if you put the cube right up to your nose you'd be able to smell it. I used Esbit on my entire AT hike and never really noticed any odor.

As far as the residue goes, I have a dedicated bag to carry my Fosters pot in which I allow to get dirty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'm sensitive to Esbit. Can't abide the fumes.
    Same here, fumes are nauseous.

I've been thinking about trying it on my next 3-4 day section this winter....I'm tired of partially used fuel cans in my closet. I'll never take a partially used canister on a trip again! Last time I took a half full canister the cold temps kept it from burning...yea in the teens during February it stunk not having warm food or coffee. All I do is boil 2 cups once or twice daily. Tried alchy..not a fan. Does low temperature effect ezbit?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I've been thinking about trying it on my next 3-4 day section this winter....I'm tired of partially used fuel cans in my closet. I'll never take a partially used canister on a trip again! Last time I took a half full canister the cold temps kept it from burning...yea in the teens during February it stunk not having warm food or coffee. All I do is boil 2 cups once or twice daily. Tried alchy..not a fan. Does low temperature effect ezbit?

Take those partially filled cans on your short hikes and use 'em up. Save the esbit for longer hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    As far as the smell, I really think this is overstated somewhat. Yes if you put the cube right up to your nose you'd be able to smell it. I used Esbit on my entire AT hike and never really noticed any odor.

As far as the residue goes, I have a dedicated bag to carry my Fosters pot in which I allow to get dirty.
    I agree but some people are sensitive. however, since the tablets are sealed in airtight packaging, the smell is only an issue when burning. I don't have a problem staying upwind of this but if I somehow do get a whiff of the odor, it's not so oppressive I can't live with it. the benes outweigh the bads for me.

residue? it's no worse than cooking over wood. different maybe, but easily dealt with in the same manner as you suggest. much ado about nothing, IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Same here, fumes are nauseous.
    says the the maker of one of the premier alcohol stove lines in the business...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++