WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Song in my head

Question Song in my head

When I'm long distance hiking, for no reason I can understand, an old song will start working my mind. When I was on the AT "Erie Canal" an old folk song by Ed Ames or Bearl Ives started working on my brain and I would humm it all day when alone. I hadn't heard it for 30 years but I couldn't get it out of my mind. In real bad weather "The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie seemed to keep my spirits up. This is not the music I listen to at home or in my car but on the trail alone these two songs just stay with me. I am just wondering if any of my fellow hikers experience this strange mind trip. (I carry a Sony but never listen to it while hiking because I love to listen to the woods)
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

along that same line what are some songs that have popped in your head on a long day of hiking that drive you crazy? one that i can think of was a really long day in the Smokey Mtns and a Spice Girls song ran through my head for 12 hrs. They had just hit it big on the radio and you couldnt go anywhere without hearing them. I must've heard them on the way to the hike. To make it worse I only knew one line from the song that was being played on a loop in my head all day. no matter what I tried I couldn't shake them. I wanted to bash myself in the head with a rock.

The peanut butter jelly song by the buck wheat boys got stuck in my head a couple of nights ago. I thought my wife was going to divorce me.

Images

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Listen to the words..."I walk alone"

Images

Default Carolina in my Mind

Sometimes that James Taylor song, "Carolina in my Mind" will work its way into my head. Having been born and raised in South Carolina that song is special to me and is always welcome on the mental playlist.

hahahaha oh f--k did this cause me problems. i get songs stuck in my head for days!!! .......ive got friends in low places where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away......... for 4 days!!! chers its in his kiss ........what the f--k is happening to me!

but the song that did inspire me and i would sing at the top of my voice during storms was 'you'll never walk alone' by jerry and the pace makers.

there were many and all would get tedious after a while!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I've had the theme from "Rent," ("Seasons of Love") stuck in my head for days and I'm outta here soon to hike. Fortunately, it's the high-energy remix so it should help me move along!

There's another thread on this subject entitled "earworms" I think. I use the term "Manilow syndrome" to describe the phenomenon.
    I have to leave the premises when I hear any songs by Abba. Abba can last a week in my head.

I loved earworms. Self-contained, no weight Walkman!

Section and wanna be thru hiker bbanker's Avatar

Default Two Words

Kung-Fu Fighting... or is that technically three... either way it is a horrible song to have stuck in your head for 48 or so hours.

Rocky Mountain High is the song that i hear in my head when hiking, even if im not in Colorado

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I loved earworms. Self-contained, no weight Walkman!
    ...set on infinite repeat.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I loved reading that earworm thread. I am very susceptible to earworms for some reason, and I will get awful songs stuck in my head for days. The worst is when you get part of a song and you don't know the rest of it..so it just repeats the same part over and over. This past week I had that song that has the line 'life's like an hourglass glued to the table' stuck in my head for 3 solid days, and I only knew a part of it. It drove me crazy. They play a lot of crap where I work and I'm always coming home with something awful going through my mind while I try to get to sleep! (The worst was a few months ago when we had 'western week'.) I'm hoping I can force some good ones in there when I hike the AT next year.

I am deaf.....all songs are in my head.......some voices too. j/k

Here's my all-time hiking tune that always gets stuck in my head, it's called "Whiskey Before Breakfast" or WBB since I don't drink the stuff! I don't know why, but can "listen" to this tune for hours and hours, no electronics required. There's lots of different versions out there, but here's one for example:

http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?ban...mode=song_hifi

To each his own, hope you enjoy it...

Heehee... currently have "Counting Flowers on the Wall..." probably since I've been sitting in my office all day... I'm sure the soundtrack will change once I get out there.

Images

Default Will I ever get Erie Canal out of my head now?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00
    When I'm long distance hiking, for no reason I can understand, an old song will start working my mind. When I was on the AT "Erie Canal" an old folk song by Ed Ames or Bearl Ives started working on my brain and I would humm it all day when alone. I hadn't heard it for 30 years but I couldn't get it out of my mind. In real bad weather "The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie seemed to keep my spirits up. This is not the music I listen to at home or in my car but on the trail alone these two songs just stay with me. I am just wondering if any of my fellow hikers experience this strange mind trip. (I carry a Sony but never listen to it while hiking because I love to listen to the woods)
    Oh, great, now I have Erie Canal playing in my head over and over and over. (I gotta mule her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal. She's a good ole worker and a good ole pal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal.... )

I've always, always got some song playing on the stereo system in my mind. Among the worst: Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can (this one happens a lot in the summer when constantly walking through spider webs). Then there's The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music complete with orchestra and visuals of Julie Andrews spinning around on top of an alp.

I kind of like it when I get Here Comes the Sun stuck in my head 'cause it's such a cheery little tune, but I can't ever remember all the words.

Does it bug anybody else when you get a song in your head and you can't remember all the words?

Alison

Try to get Allister Moock in your head. "Walking to the end of the world" and "A Life I Never Had" are both nicely applicable to trail life.

Images

At the moment
    Take on Me by Aha (I'll be gone in a day or two)
    When hiking and a big branch snaps or some huge rustling, Blue Bayou jumps in.
    At the beginning of the day, On my Way by Phil Collins, I think probably the best song about hiking ever to come from outside the hiking community. If you haven't heard it, you ought to give it 3 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++