WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question What is the weather like in Georgia - late February

Hello,

My partner and I are going to start the trail in the second to last week of February and are wondering if we could get some information on what kind of weather we should be expecting. How low does it drop at nights, amount of snow... etc. Any additional information or advice you have would also be greatly appreciated. We're looking to begin purchasing gear soon and want to make the most informed decisions possible.

Thank you!

More specifically, not Atlanta, Georgia but on top of the mountains.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkWithUs View Post
    More specifically, not Atlanta, Georgia but on top of the mountains.

Check this out.
    http://www.trailquest.net/weather.html
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

It's not the weather in Georgia late Feb you have to worry about. It's the weather in North Carolina in early March you have to watch out for. In NC your up at 5,000 to 6,000 feet most of the time. Cold fronts which don't quite dip quite far enough south to affect GA will hammer NC. Combine cold mid west air with warm moist air from the south over the mountains of NC and you get some really nasty weather.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you for the info, Slo-go'en. That is good to know. I guess the best way to proceed would be to keep the winter gear until April or so before we swap it out for something lighter. Also to keep an eye on the forecast, and get off the mountain if there are predictions for inclement weather.

A buddy of mine and I started Feb. 18th and 19th 2015 first night at Hawk was 7 below and next night at gooch was 4 below with a good 20 mph breeze. It can get damn cold if you are prepared it is no big deal just know your limits and be smart.

Hawk Feb 18th 2015

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Images

The usual rule of thumb is to keep your warm stuff until north of Mount Rogers. April is still quite cold even up here in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    The usual rule of thumb is to keep your warm stuff until north of Mount Rogers. April is still quite cold even up here in PA.
    Yea, you can't count on consistently warm weather until some time in May and even that can be iffy. And don't be fooled by a couple of hot days. I once sent a bunch of my warm stuff home after 3-4 really warm days and I thought it was there to stay. As soon as I left town, it turned cold again and rained most every day for the next 3 weeks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You only have about 75 miles of Georgia, be ready for cold. This is North Carolina in late March.
    DSCN2890.JPGDSCN2891.JPG

And depending upon the weather, traction (e.g. microspikes) may be necessary in the Smokies for safety.

This is all great advice. Thank you everyone for your input. The pictures definitely give me a sense of what kind of conditions we should be expecting.

Journal Entries

Its like winter, interspersed with warmer weeks.

You could get lucky and have mild conditions, or unlucky and have harsher.

With deep pockets you can ride the worst of it out in towns.

But wheres the fun in that?

This is why many early starters often dont outpace later ones, and blow thru more $$ as well.

If you do stay on trail, you continue fighting bitter conditions all the way thru VA, which really wears people down.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-28-2016 at 12:10.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mothers day is when you should be frost free most years.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

well I was thinking when i did my thru hike to leave in february but I do believe I will be rethining this with much thought .

Off topic but this seems to be a good weather app for the AT. I'd be interested in anyone's review that has used it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...weather2&hl=en
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

-

my set up for that time would be 0 F (my personal tested comfort rating of the sleep system - not the rating)

that being said, even in Jan there is often 1-2 days per week that you will hike in shorts/ t shirt in the afternoon

Historical records abound from sources like GSMNP, NOAA, Ray's Weather.
    Trail Journals will give you historical data from actual hikers. Alas, every day is different.
    Carry adequate shelter, sleep system and clothing. A winter sleep system starts with an R-5 minimum insulated pad and ends with full head to toe DRY, warm layers. Be fanatical about keeping your sleep system and a change of clothes DRY. If you are shopping for sleeping bags learn the definition and importance of loft. Read the test procedure behind the EN ratings on sleeping bags. Fill power ratings of down won't keep you warm.
    Be warm. Be dry. Be safe. Have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++