WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks Goose Down Hoodie or Beanie?

Hello!

I am so close to finally starting the Arizona Trail. Six months in the making. I am getting out there late so I will see temperatures occasionally dip below freezing at night. I have very little experience in these kinds of conditions and wanted to get some final input.

At 29 degrees will a Zpacks Down Hoodie be well worth the investment... or will a beanie do the job?

Here is what I have:

Tarptent Stratospire 1
    Zpacks 10 degree sleeping bag
    Western Mountaineering Flash Hoody (also I was thinking if need be I just throw the hoody on)

Ah, and I also have a Neoair Xlite.

I prefer synthetic insulation for headwear... don't have to worry about any sweat or body oils getting into your down. And if it's really cold you can wear it if needed around camp without worrying about getting moisture in it.

That said... about or barely freezing I'd probably be fine with a beanie, a fleece hat, and a buff or two

I have found that around freezing temps that a beanie and my buff were sufficient. I have not tried the down hoodie but I am in the market for a ski mask as I did find one night at really high elevation to be a little chilly for me...that is more because I start off sleeping cold anyway. I was fine during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I prefer synthetic insulation for headwear... don't have to worry about any sweat or body oils getting into your down. And if it's really cold you can wear it if needed around camp without worrying about getting moisture in it.

That said... about or barely freezing I'd probably be fine with a beanie, a fleece hat, and a buff or two

Cool, this is what I was thinking: http://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/...watch-cap.html

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I have found that around freezing temps that a beanie and my buff were sufficient. I have not tried the down hoodie but I am in the market for a ski mask as I did find one night at really high elevation to be a little chilly for me...that is more because I start off sleeping cold anyway. I was fine during the night.
    My bad, I am still a noob (soon to change)...but what do you mean by a buff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    My bad, I am still a noob (soon to change)...but what do you mean by a buff?
    Neck gaiter. Buff is a brand name

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Neck gaiter. Buff is a brand name
    So this: https://www.amazon.com/Buff-Original...ff+neck+gaiter

There a wool one I own and it's a versatile piece

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Well that is quite fashionable... but just a plain old fleece hat or combo fleece balaclava.
    https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=fl...ece+hat&page=1

Bunch of different stuff here... for $60 you could get a hat, neck gaiter, buff, and a balaclava.

Too many pictures and too much money for a watch cap.
    I also like wool. Thrift store? Consignment shop? Walmart? 'Tis the season when such things sell fast.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

buff balaclava.JPG

I like having a couple of different pieces with me- the other thing with a stretchy neck gaiter/buff is that you can wrap it over a few layers to hold it all in place.
    If you have long hair, wear a beanie (baselayer weight hat) with a fleece, etc... they tend to want to spin off your head as you sleep. So having a stretchy buff/neck gaiter can help tie them all together.

If you're in deep winter, you may want an actual neoprene face mask so it's easier/warmer to breathe through. But when it's not crazy cold you can just breathe through a buff or stretch fleece and then sun it for a bit (or keep it in your pocket) to chase out any frost buildup from the night before. That and you have multiple layers for getting going in the morning or setting up camp at night that allow you to regulate your temperature much easier. Being able to peel off your headgear in layers as you and the day warm up is something you can't do with a wham-bam deep freeze hood. It's either cold enough to wear it or it's not.

Wind proof fleece works very well 24/7. For $20 this is a winner.
    http://m.llbean.com/product.html?skC...%2520cap#38066
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Too many pictures and too much money for a watch cap.
    I also like wool. Thrift store? Consignment shop? Walmart? 'Tis the season when such things sell fast.
    Wayne

Despite living in Wyoming, where 10 months of the year is winter, I can't find a decent ski mask/balaclava to save my life. My issue is that I have a tiny head...and anything designed for an adult simply swamps me. Guess I'll have to get to crocheting my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    buff balaclava.JPG

I like having a couple of different pieces with me- the other thing with a stretchy neck gaiter/buff is that you can wrap it over a few layers to hold it all in place.
    If you have long hair, wear a beanie (baselayer weight hat) with a fleece, etc... they tend to want to spin off your head as you sleep. So having a stretchy buff/neck gaiter can help tie them all together.

If you're in deep winter, you may want an actual neoprene face mask so it's easier/warmer to breathe through. But when it's not crazy cold you can just breathe through a buff or stretch fleece and then sun it for a bit (or keep it in your pocket) to chase out any frost buildup from the night before. That and you have multiple layers for getting going in the morning or setting up camp at night that allow you to regulate your temperature much easier. Being able to peel off your headgear in layers as you and the day warm up is something you can't do with a wham-bam deep freeze hood. It's either cold enough to wear it or it's not.
    That is a good point on the neck gaiter. I think I'm going to do a beanie (fleece or wool) and neck gaiter set up for versatility. I will, afterall, be in Arizona. I think once I get through northern region the concerning regions will be higher passes in the mid-state and south. But at least I will be hiking with autumn.

Also, if I am getting worked by the cold I can throw on my down hoodie.

I use this little 1 oz cheap hat. Got it for $9 I think at a retailer
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/micr...or=010#start=2

perfect for sleeping around freezing and ideal for hiking in 20-40f temps

If it's going to be quite cold I'll add whatever else.... basic neck warmer, or balaclava, or sometimes I just bring my hooded down jacket for camp in colder temps, and in that case I won't need to add anything to the hat

Images

For 29 degrees, a down hood would definitely be overkill.

I have found, through use, that I much prefer a knit style hat, either wool or acrylic. Fleece hats hold the moisture and cause forehead chapping - at least for me. The knit hats do allow more air circulation, and thus the moisture is more easily dissipated. This is especially true if you also wear the hat during the day.

If you will not be wearing the hat all day, then it probably would not be a significant issue.

Also, back when I did a lot of winter hiking, I preferred a scarf to a neck gaiter - more versatile. You can loosen it to allow some ventilation or wrap it tightly to get max effect, easy to pull up loosely over your face - a gaiter remains tighter than I like when pulled up in this fashion. Relatively short, light wool scarf was great.
    Last edited by Lyle; 10-28-2016 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Despite living in Wyoming, where 10 months of the year is winter, I can't find a decent ski mask/balaclava to save my life. My issue is that I have a tiny head...and anything designed for an adult simply swamps me. Guess I'll have to get to crocheting my own!
    Interesting. Never thought of that. LL BEAN's children's department might have something.
    Ages ago I bought base layer stretch full head masks in silk and polypropylene. They may not exist anymore. Lightbulb: Hunting camo gear. Hunters on tv cover their heads and faces. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Interesting. Never thought of that. LL BEAN's children's department might have something.
    Ages ago I bought base layer stretch full head masks in silk and polypropylene. They may not exist anymore. Lightbulb: Hunting camo gear. Hunters on tv cover their heads and faces. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop.
    Wayne

I'm going to keep looking. I should have checked the sports store last weekend when I was in a different town. Since I have such a small head I always want to be able to try things on first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++