WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Section Hiker

I have a Zpacks down hood to go with my Zpacks down bag... I'm a very cold sleeper and did wear it part of a night this fall--I know I'll like having it for winter, though. I can only add that I think everything Zpacks makes is worth the money, just a question of how often you'll use it.

If you want a similar hood in synthetic, Enlightened Equipment has them ready to ship. I believe it weighs about the same as the Zpacks hood.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Beanie will work. don't forget if you have hoods on other apparel you can layer the beanie underneath. a simple $1 bandana can be added folded around your ears or also layered under/over the beanie. No need to spend much money. If you want a used but clean merino beanie send me your address in a pm. I have 7 or 8 of them. don't need them all. if it finally gets you out hiking i'm willing to help. free to you as a gift. enjoy your hike.

Images

This lady has also used a Z-packs down hood, below 40. Above 40 a fleece beanie of my own design, above 60 a buff to block light coming thru my Z-packs Solplex. When not using the Buff to block light it is my pillow case so my face doesn't stick to my plastic inflatable pillow.

I am a cold sleeper and I go out in sub 30 degree weather for fun. I have found that a beanie coupled with a really light head sock pilled over it and down over your head (like what you wear in a helmet) to hold the beanie in place when sleeping works great; weighs about an ounce and can be had for about 2 bucks or less helmet sock.jpg

Images

I have a small head. I found the ideal fleece earband (children's size) at a ski resort once and have guarded it with my life ever since.

That said, the Mountain Hardware MicroDome is a hat that fits my child size head. I got mine at REI in one of their vendor clearance tubs. I highly recommend it.

Images

errr... not REI. Trail Days. Thanks autocorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I use this little 1 oz cheap hat. Got it for $9 I think at a retailer
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/micr...or=010#start=2

perfect for sleeping around freezing and ideal for hiking in 20-40f temps

If it's going to be quite cold I'll add whatever else.... basic neck warmer, or balaclava, or sometimes I just bring my hooded down jacket for camp in colder temps, and in that case I won't need to add anything to the hat
    Micro dome is the only beenie that fits me well...cheap, warm and light......no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Beanie will work. don't forget if you have hoods on other apparel you can layer the beanie underneath. a simple $1 bandana can be added folded around your ears or also layered under/over the beanie. No need to spend much money. If you want a used but clean merino beanie send me your address in a pm. I have 7 or 8 of them. don't need them all. if it finally gets you out hiking i'm willing to help. free to you as a gift. enjoy your hike.
    Thank you Dogwood. I appreciate it but I'll grab a new one. I'll use it so much and I haven't gotten a new beanie in YEARS. And yeah, I feel like I am just making it out there in time, albeit late. But after 6 months of planning and uncertainty, it IS happening. If all goes well in the beginning I will be camping in the base of the Grand Canyon by November 12th. Unreal. Can't wait. Thanks for all the info over the months!

For the record, I went with this (on sale): https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...rn-neck-gaiter

And I am pretty sure I will compliment it with a beanie. Keep it simple and versatile. I almost wasn't going to do anything but then realize nights out there will be long...

Also, Zpacks have these new possum gloves that seem cool. Picked up a pair of those. They run a little small so size up.

Journal Entries

Beanie works down to 30s usually
    Below freezing, down hood is really good

Comes in very handy to heat body up if damp and cold after hiking in rain all day or such with temps in 40s even. You heat up faster.

The goosefeet hood really has a useful temp range of 25-30 for sleeping. Below 20, its not enough. Common to go to sleep and wake up with head sweating and have to remove it if temps arent cold enough. Hoods are a bit of a pain like this.

Another reason why below 20 is breakpoint for using a good bag

But it all depends. When my body has been really warm in a good bag, ive slept with head out the face hole in upper 20s, completely uncovered, ice in hair, and not been cold. Stuck head out because too warm in bag. So to an extent, what you need for head depends on rest of body as well, if thats marginal, you need more for head.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-29-2016 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Beanie works down to 30s usually
    Below freezing, down hood is really good

Comes in very handy to heat body up if damp and cold after hiking in rain all day or such with temps in 40s even. You heat up faster.

The goosefeet hood really has a useful temp range of 25-30 for sleeping. Below 20, its not enough. Common to go to sleep and wake up with head sweating and have to remove it if temps arent cold enough. Hoods are a bit of a pain like this.

Another reason why below 20 is breakpoint for using a good bag

But it all depends. When my body has been really warm in a good bag, ive slept with head out the face hole in upper 20s, completely uncovered, ice in hair, and not been cold. Stuck head out because too warm in bag.
    Interesting... I predict I will see averages in 30's and 40's, but some nights in 20's.. so for those I went with a Smartwool neck gaiter and a Wigwam Wool Beanie (USA made and $12 on Amazon Prime).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++