WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    Just curious - those of you that solo hike, do you have and how did you get your trail name? I have heard stories from people earning or receiving their trail names while out with their group or meeting other groups on the trail, etc. I don't have a trail name and I'm wondering how I'll get one as a solo hiker.
    pick one.
    any thing you like

or
    wait for some to suggest something you like

Others see you DIFFERENTLY than you see yourself often
    the name they might thrust on you, may or may not have sublime meaning thats perfect
    but, you is always free to change. Lots of people do.

But for petes sake, be uncommon and sort of unique, or its pointless. There are overused names like Hiker XXX, nature XXX, strider, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-29-2016 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    That trail -- or, at least the way it's depicted in that film -- seems like a whole different kind of experience from what I normally think of as hiking. I know one can say, "well, the PCT is a totally different experience than the AT, and the CDT is totally different than either of those. But still it seems to me that they all have more in common whrn compared to the Camino. It just seems like it's "something different". Cant quite put my finger on it, but I'd love to do it one of these days.
    It's hard to describe the Camino when talking AT, the best I can say is it's more of a extended day hike that lasts 30-ish days and always ends in towns. You cover several different regions with various terrains and people and constantly surrounded by incredible history...for 1200 years people have walked that path, pretty amazing.

The Camino would be a great unwinding trek after an AT (or any long trail)thru.

My name came to me off trail...it was an oft repeated comment regarding my life.

"That sounds daunting...."

"Don't you find that daunting...?"

Etc etc. So one day as one more person yelled something along along the lines of "you don't find anything daunting do you?" as I'm climbing boulders, and as got to the top I just yelled "I am Dauntless"...it kinda stuck

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My name came to me off trail...it was an oft repeated comment regarding my life.

"That sounds daunting...."

"Don't you find that daunting...?"

Etc etc. So one day as one more person yelled something along along the lines of "you don't find anything daunting do you?" as I'm climbing boulders, and as got to the top I just yelled "I am Dauntless"...it kinda stuck
    That's cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    You cover several different regions with various terrains and people and constantly surrounded by incredible history...for 1200 years people have walked that path, pretty amazing.
    I think that is one of the things that attracts me to the Camino- the history.

Jes

Default Solo hikers and trail names

yes, I agree - the history. Also, the diversity of the folks you would meet along the way.

Journal Entries

Nobody hikes the AT solo, maybe once upon a time they did, but not anymore, it's a traveling community.

Like it or not that's what it is, and communities will give out names.

My favorite is my friend hansolo, who's real name is Hans and he hikes alone.
    Finished the AT twice; once each way.

I use a nickname from other facets of my life, I pulled 'Wiki' as a name in basic training after knowing all the answers to the US citizenship test when helping a fellow trainee study. Been using it ever sense, I've tried other nicknames and they don't even register.
    2018 NOBO Hopeful
    OEF/OIF Veteran
    Blog: www.going-big.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++