WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

DH liked the eggs well enough. Texture is a little "off" from fresh cooked obviously. And he usually likes mushrooms and cheese with his eggs but I had not put that in this trial batch. The next batches will have mushrooms for him and various mixes for me and him. I love home made ground sausage and a variety of veg in mine, and I like variety, where he will literally eat eggs with mushrooms and cheese every single day. These are definitely a winner and will be great for the trail!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I recently tested the Mountain House Breakfast Skillet at home. The test subjects were my 12 year old grandson and I. We liked it. 12 year olds rarely eat something they've never seen before.
    You might want to get this and a few other MH meals to see how they prepare various foods for freeze dried meals. Walmart sells individual servings. Adequate quantity for testing and not terribly expensive.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I recently tested the Mountain House Breakfast Skillet at home. The test subjects were my 12 year old grandson and I. We liked it. 12 year olds rarely eat something they've never seen before.
    You might want to get this and a few other MH meals to see how they prepare various foods for freeze dried meals. Walmart sells individual servings. Adequate quantity for testing and not terribly expensive.
    Wayne

I have some actually. Was using them as reference for rehydrating instructions. Used to eat these a lot when hiking according to an old hiking journal I was rereading last night. I won't eat them anymore unless I have an emergency before I actually get stocked up on my own meals.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

More important - you need to figure out how many calories you are delivering per meal and keeping it tasty. A 90 calorie breakfast won't cut it for any trail. I know that may be odd to say as I am not so hungry the first week but I get hit over the head about 6-10 days in. Keeping it tasty... well change it up with different spices and other items such as chopped fine peppers to add flavor for example.

I would add fresh bacon bits & real grated Vermont Cheddar to the scrambled eggs for one bag, a Eggs Benedict home made sauce with bits of ham & broken up toasted muffin for separate meal in another bag for example... Yea I get bored easily.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    More important - you need to figure out how many calories you are delivering per meal and keeping it tasty. A 90 calorie breakfast won't cut it for any trail. I know that may be odd to say as I am not so hungry the first week but I get hit over the head about 6-10 days in. Keeping it tasty... well change it up with different spices and other items such as chopped fine peppers to add flavor for example.

I would add fresh bacon bits & real grated Vermont Cheddar to the scrambled eggs for one bag, a Eggs Benedict home made sauce with bits of ham & broken up toasted muffin for separate meal in another bag for example... Yea I get bored easily.
    I so hear what you are saying but 3 large eggs are 210 calories before adding fat, veg, meat and cheese. Which still isn't a ton if you are hiking. Yet since we started eating this way we haven't had time to hike but will likely start weekends this month. Our lunches and dinners will be more substantial and we have calorie packed snacks. When we get a chance to do more than a 2-3 day hike we will really work it out as our hunger doesn't usually kick in for about 4 days.

So it's been a while since I ran a load because I sliced off a huge chunk of my finger which required stitches. The pain of actually keeping my finger out of the way of everything was something I didn't anticipate. It made the simplest of tasks difficult, time consuming and tiring. I couldn't clean dishes well due to trying to keep my finger dry, the pain, and the coordination as I did this to my dominant hand. I also record my podcast on Tuesdays so I can't have my machine running while I'm recording and it's not something you can really shut off and then turn back on. My microphone picks up noises very well. I often pick up sounds from the street when large trucks go past but I can edit that out or pause recording.

But things are looking up and I just put this batch in. This batch - green peppers and onions (yep, need more) Fajita chicken, spanish "rice" aka cauliflower, and then pork stuffed peppers. I need more peppers and onions as well as spanish rice but I will get that on the next batch.

fajitasFD.JPG

So just over 24 hours in the FD and I have another batch of food. I screwed up and didn't weigh any of the food before putting it on the trays. And then I didn't take a picture of all the trays before I started packing it up. The chicken started out as 2.5 lbs before we cooked it and ate dinner the night before loading the trays for the FD. So maybe 1.5 lbs on the tray?
    This is the full tray of fajita seasoned chicken:
    IMG_3389.JPG

The chicken that didn't get packaged individually weighed in at just over 8 ounces. It was this whole tray plus a little as I only packaged 2 individual meals for my backpacking trip as I had a very small amount of peppers and onions left over, otherwise I would have done 3 or 4 individual meals. The individual meals I "eyeballed" when packing and then weighed the packages after. They were 2.6 ounces and 2.7 ounces respectively.

IMG_3393.JPG

Next up is the tray of pork stuffed peppers. This started out as 4 peppers. Didn't weigh it ahead of time. Total weight after FDing was 4.1 ounces. I made this into 2 individual meals.
    IMG_3390.JPGIMG_3392.JPG

The Spanish "rice" (cauliflower) I "eyeballed" for serving size. Most of these were 0.4-0.5 ounces. I ended up with 5 servings but thinking those will be rather small so I will likely bring extra sides and maybe make 3 servings into 2.
    IMG_3394.JPGIMG_3395.JPG

I figure at this rate plus breakfast was just over 2 ounces, I can carry 3 real meals a day for at most 10 ounces, packaged. That would mean 7 days of food would only weigh 4.375lbs! This doesn't account for nuts and other "snacks" I might carry but this is INSANELY UL! Even if I had to carry twice as much food for 7 days, not an issue!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    ...I can carry 3 real meals a day for at most 10 ounces, packaged. That would mean 7 days of food would only weigh 4.375lbs! This doesn't account for nuts and other "snacks" I might carry but this is INSANELY UL! Even if I had to carry twice as much food for 7 days, not an issue!
    Three meals for a hiker should be at least 2,500 calories (I carry 4,000+ per day and stay pretty hungry at that). Ten ounces gross weight per day would have to exceed 250 cal/oz to get there, which is pretty much impossible even for pure fat. So you'll really need to add quite a bit of "nuts and other snacks" to fill what I believe would be a deficit.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm available as a free taste tester.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Three meals for a hiker should be at least 2,500 calories (I carry 4,000+ per day and stay pretty hungry at that). Ten ounces gross weight per day would have to exceed 250 cal/oz to get there, which is pretty much impossible even for pure fat. So you'll really need to add quite a bit of "nuts and other snacks" to fill what I believe would be a deficit.
    Indeed. No mega wt one meal or mega calorie one meal wonders for me on trail either. I aim for the same approach off trail. Most of my trail food wt and calories comes from grazing on snacks regularly through the hiking period. I try to avoid insulin spikes and energy crashes. Eating a heavy meal or excessively high calorie meal means excessive energy goes to digesting and assimilating the food and usually results in discomfort. If done as the last food of the day before going to sleep for myself I know it interrupts my deep sleep patterns.

I figure at this rate plus breakfast was just over 2 ounces, I can carry 3 real meals a day for at most 10 ounces, packaged. That would mean 7 days of food would only weigh 4.375lbs! This doesn't account for nuts and other "snacks" I might carry but this is INSANELY UL! Even if I had to carry twice as much food for 7 days, not an issue!

Uhh, NO! 10 oz of food per day isn't going to cut it long term nutritionally on a AT thru-hike unless you expect to have health and energy issues even if you are hitting the TH carrying significant extra body wt. This isn't a calorie deficit that can simply be made up with an in town gorging which is problematic from several aspects in itself. IMHO, if you include all sources of food wt and nutrition, you'll likely be carrying twice or greater that many cals and food wt of food at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my 2 ounces of pork stuffed peppers are right around 250 cal/ounce FDed weight. I'll have to do some "calculating" and see what I am getting. At this point I have just been testing things out. I will do more calorie counting and before and after weights so I can convert my calories to FDed food weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm available as a free taste tester.
    thought I might have a hard time finding one!LOL

Uhh, NO! 10 oz of food per day isn't going to cut it long term nutritionally on a AT thru-hike unless you expect to have health and energy issues even if you are hitting the TH carrying significant extra body wt. This isn't a calorie deficit that can simply be made up with an in town gorging which is problematic from several aspects in itself. IMHO, if you include all sources of food wt and nutrition, you'll likely be carrying twice or greater that many cals and food wt of food at some point.
    Well, my next hike is the Lone Star Hiking Trail. Very easy trail. 96 miles. very minor elevation (I think low point is 150' above sea level and max is 490' above). I do eat very differently than others and this will be my first overnight with my own food and the way I eat now. We shall see. I will actually be carrying 9 days of food (which would be a really slow hike). Like I said above I will have to do some calorie math and see where I am at with these weights. I don't really count calories in my daily life and eat lots of fat, plenty of protein, and few carbs (only veg, some fruit). These meals actually have their full complement of fat as I will be using them within 3 weeks so I'm not worried about fats going rancid in that time.

I do eat walnuts which have 185 cal/ounce and 1 ounce raisins have 85 calories. thats a pretty good snack.
    And while I have a little extra weight, I have much less than a few months ago when I started eating this way.
    I will be FDing cheese, an ounce of that 110 calories - before FDing. I would be surprised if 8oz of colby didn't FD down to less than 4 ounces. That's going into the eggs along with veggies as well. All cooked in fat. I would be surprised if my breakfast was any less than 500 calories - good, slow burning, energy providing calories - unlike poptarts and bagels.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my 2 ounces of pork stuffed peppers are right around 250 cal/ounce FDed weight. I'll have to do some "calculating" and see what I am getting...
    lol. You should because unless the pork stuffed peppers are pork stuffed peppers flavored olive oil it aint happening at 250 cal/oz.

If you somehow manage to rewrite dehydrating history and food science creating 250 cal/oz pork stuffed peppers soylent I'm taking you public through an IPO and scheduling a TED talk pronto.

Lone Star Tr another often forgotten trail by easy coasters worthy of a shakedown hike and winter season worthy destination. Might consider exploring some side loops such as in Peckinpaugh and Lake Houston.

Explore. Eat well.

I admire your efforts, and the foods you are doing are fairly nutritious (more so oatmeal and pop tarts...T2D starter packs).

Lately I just carry whole eggs, mostly hard boiled, in a shaped plastic container. They last 3-4 days easily in moderate weather. I don't mind the weight, they are worth every ounce. I have tried dehydrating them, but I am concerned about oxidation of cholesterol, a possible health hazard. I wonder about this risk with FD? Have you thought about that?

lol. You should because unless the pork stuffed peppers are pork stuffed peppers flavored olive oil it aint happening at 250 cal/oz.

If you somehow manage to rewrite dehydrating history and food science creating 250 cal/oz pork stuffed peppers soylent I'm taking you public through an IPO and scheduling a TED talk pronto.
    Well the original weight of the stuffed peppers was closer to 8oz per 2 peppers. FDed they ended up at 2 oz for 2 peppers (IIRC). I am estimating them to be about 250 cal each originally, which would be 500 cal/ 2oz of FDed stuffed peppers. I don't see how that's so hard to believe. Again, I will check all my numbers from here on out but I don't know how I can be that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I admire your efforts, and the foods you are doing are fairly nutritious (more so oatmeal and pop tarts...T2D starter packs).

Lately I just carry whole eggs, mostly hard boiled, in a shaped plastic container. They last 3-4 days easily in moderate weather. I don't mind the weight, they are worth every ounce. I have tried dehydrating them, but I am concerned about oxidation of cholesterol, a possible health hazard. I wonder about this risk with FD? Have you thought about that?
    I didn't know anything about cholesterol oxidation so I found this http://www.healthline.com/health/hea...ow#Prevention5

I don't do any of that. I don't eat fast foods or deep fried foods or any vegetable oils. I cook with olive oil and coconut oil and real fats ONLY. My cholesterol numbers are great, my blood pressure has fallen, my weight is down since starting this way of eating (Wheat Belly). So with that said, I am not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I have tried dehydrating them, but I am concerned about oxidation of cholesterol, a possible health hazard. I wonder about this risk with FD? Have you thought about that?
    After it comes out of the freeze drier I put the food in Mylar bags with an oxygen absorber; so there is no oxidation concern. This is common and could probably work with dehydrated foods too. So far I haven't made single serve hiker food but would like to start doing that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++