WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Argh! Criminal Minds and the AT

watching tonight's episode of Criminal Minds. The inaccuracies are astounding. References to the "terrain" and how dangerous it is on this trail, the number of people killed on it, etc.

I think my head is going to explode
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

And that backpack they found! External frame? Do they even make those any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just one of many reasons I haven't owned a TV since college.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Stories told through Hollywood and the media are so corrupted by power and dollars endlessly offering a string of BS that blurs reality...all for you viewing pleasure. Some of the biggest tools for Producers and Studios even news and weather reports are conflict, death, drama, fear, and suspense. What's so alarming is the public takes these biased perspectives fed to them as the standard of reality and truth.

Its television fiction, not to be taken seriously. Its not accurate to the finest or even broadest detail. Its not a reflection of reality in any shape or form. No corrupting conglomerate with Blowfeld is behind it. Its only entertainment not a vast conspiracy to steal bodily fluids...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Stories told through Hollywood and the media are so corrupted by power and dollars endlessly offering a string of BS that blurs reality...all for you viewing pleasure. Some of the biggest tools for Producers and Studios even news and weather reports are conflict, death, drama, fear, and suspense. What's so alarming is the public takes these biased perspectives fed to them as the standard of reality and truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Its television fiction, not to be taken seriously. Its not accurate to the finest or even broadest detail. Its not a reflection of reality in any shape or form. No corrupting conglomerate with Blowfeld is behind it. Its only entertainment not a vast conspiracy to steal bodily fluids...
    Both Dogwood and Traveler accurately state that Criminal Minds is just entertainment. But Dogwood is absolutely correct in his statement of alarm. Of course in this case it's the "trivial" topic of the Trail, which no one cares about except us. However, this same type of bias, misinformation, and downright lies also forms the "standard of reality and truth" for a range of significant issues that affect all Americans, issues in the realm of civics, religion, history, economics, war, current events, etc. When you pause to think about it, it evokes sadness, anger, and yes, alarm!

Things like this are why people are always asking about carrying guns on the trail.
    2018 NOBO Hopeful
    OEF/OIF Veteran
    Blog: www.going-big.com

Sorry Dogwood. Hollywood is just filling a void for people living a predictable and boring cubicle, box store, suburban lifestyle. Most people know the difference between entertainment and reality. I do agree that the news media fixates on sensational topics. I think this can do more harm. And then again it may be inherently human to fear the unknown and to magnify in our mind things we fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    watching tonight's episode of Criminal Minds. The inaccuracies are astounding. References to the "terrain" and how dangerous it is on this trail, the number of people killed on it, etc.

I think my head is going to explode
    it keeps the numbers down.

Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4sea

Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4 seasons ago. A once decent and interesting show. Not at all so now. But if it keeps the numbers on the trail down, good.

So if I am following this right…..

When “A Walk in the Woods” came out many people complained because of the increased traffic on the trail, overcrowding at the shelters and desecration of a “hallowed” trail.

Now this episode, which has the potential to reverse this travesty, and it is still bemoaned as travesty to the trail. Let the un-informed see the episode and be scared to walk into a forest. The “wise” will know better and enjoy a renewed silence on the trail.

Disclaimer:
    This is a joke, and only a joke. Had this been an actual serious post you would have directed to the “Dogs on a Leash” post for some heated debate. Again, this is only a joke!

You mean you haven't encountered a demented hobo running down the trail randomly throwing chopped up body parts into the trees? I thought everyone had seen that at least once.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    You mean you haven't encountered a demented hobo running down the trail randomly throwing chopped up body parts into the trees? I thought everyone had seen that at least once.
    I've been a demented hobo running down the trail throwing body parts. Well maybe not body parts. Actually nothing, because "leave no trace." Still demented though, as are all of you.

No matter the vehicle for the source of information and stimuli gov't, religion, philosophy, sports, entertainment, teachers, clergy, media, law enforcement, parents, spouse, friends, ....there is always the element of influencing occurring. Therefore the 'entertainment' industry does not just entertain but shapes belief, culture, values, and hence behavior. This is widely understood by media outlets, producers, politicians, psychiatrists, sociologists, and social activists like Tipper Gore who put the spotlight on Hollywood for promoting sex and violence.

Yes, survivalists, 'When Animals go Wild', A Walk in the Woods, horror, accounts of death, 'Wild', very public FKT,....etc accounts certainly do shape individual trail experiences, not only for hikers but for hiker's loved ones and the general public too. YES, it is clearly evident the public - us - confuse fact and fiction.

Individuals and groups surreptitiously tacitly plotting and conspiring is nothing new. Among the powerful - those in power -, who often want more power, and wealthy it is a given.

Images

Glad I didn't see this episode of Criminal Minds. I was watching a documentary of the earth orbiting the sun. Not sure if the media can distort that, a little spin maybe.
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4 seasons ago. A once decent and interesting show. Not at all so now. But if it keeps the numbers on the trail down, good.
    yup the history channel blows as well, use to be great programming, now ya got 24-7 of a couple a knuck knucks collecting old oil cans and such.

Science has its biases too! Science is very much so, inextricably, intertwined in belief and philosophy. I'm a scientist who has come to that realization.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++