WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think at the end of the day owning a hostel is a lot like shuttling. You're just creating a low paying job with unpredictable income and cash flow for yourself.....

Nothing wrong with that, but there are probably easier and more reliable ways to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think at the end of the day owning a hostel is a lot like shuttling. You're just creating a low paying job with unpredictable income and cash flow for yourself.....

Nothing wrong with that, but there are probably easier and more reliable ways to make money.
    Yes indeedy! For many retiring theremonies are in place, they have prepared for the golden years and just wanna stay busy, give back, and remain connected;i.e. Sumthin to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    It for nuthin' and just for fun, what would you call your hostel faded sun?
    I figure if I buy one, I would probably keep the current name. If I build one, the current working title is "my hostel". I should probably come up with something better....

Quote Originally Posted by fadedsun View Post
    I figure if I buy one, I would probably keep the current name. If I build one, the current working title is "my hostel". I should probably come up with something better....
    well happy hunting, hope ya can find something you can work with.

Do a search on Zillow, 24236
    Mountain View Lodge, Damascus, 8 bd, 8 ba,
    Montgomery Homestead, B & B, block away from Rodgers Outfitters, Damascus

Hostel at Va 615 near Bland, Va - willing to make a deal for right person - 75% complete - would also consider partnership or part ownership - [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, to right person - want someone committed to AT & will work with area hiking club

Journal Entries
    Images

If you love Hiker Trash and are taking over operation of a hostel because you love them and love the trail and love the whole great big idea of the AT and want to leave your imprint, you'll probably be happy. You'll also either want to always be busy serving their needs, cleaning up after them, transporting them, feeding them, equipping them, encouraging them, and making them go to sleep when they've had too much to drink or attended too many Safety Meetings (TM). If you've got the heart for it, your heart will probably be full until the day you pass your place onto the next Sucker (TM). You'll probably always be poor. But you can be poor and happy. From my spotty entrepreneurial past, I'd encourage you to cover all of your bases. Treat it as a business first and find out what your perennial money makers are going to be. What will your business focus be during the off-season - what is going to pay the bills? It had better be something other than your pension check. Get a team together (accountant, lawyer, insurer, estate planner, mentor, and shrink, etc.) and also create a business plan and business continuity plan up front. If you take over a hostel, I'll stay with you during my thru in a couple of years. But from where I sit (a few miles north of my favorite trail in Indiana), those look like the two big topics. Do it out of hiker love or you'll be miserable. And do it for the money, or you'll quickly go broke and the For Sale sign will be right back up in the yard again. Only it'll be you dealing with the Realtor this time.

Wouldn't it be easier to co-manage a hostel ? I'd be interested in that. Long distance trip half of the time and the second half managing a hostel. I'm getting close to a point in life when I can afford to retire early (for a meager amount).
    Let me go

It would be easier to co-manage. I've actually got a team of 3 (including myself) lined up. That should allow time for hiking. If not, I know a couple other folks who may be interested.

Also looking for hostel. Damascus area preferred. Any info. Pricing etc. would be appreciated

thanks for the info guys. I'm looking into those. Wouldn't mind hearing about more.
    Like they said Hiker Hostel in GA.
    Good location at the start of the trail and multi season business with Biking clubs in late Spring / Summer and fall.

Still looking for a Trail Person to purchase my 24X32 cabin in SW Virginia near Bland. It has two bedrooms down stairs and a full loft that could sleep approx 12 hikers. 75% complete - has power and water setup with large front deck. It's 8/10 of a mile as the crow flies across Jefferson National Forest from the AT. Many pluses and minuses but pluses far out number minuses! Unexpected life event has forced me to change focus for a while. Don't want facility to go unused when many AT hikers could benefit. Wheel of a deal for right person, needs to be determined, hard working handyman or wealthy person or both if satisfaction is to be achieved! Partnerships considered again, with right person. Potential off season mountain biking business as added bonus. In the epicenter of Va Bluegrass Music along the "Crooked Road" minutes from Marion Va.
    Contact Nightcrawler [email protected] or (864)287-8017 leave message

Now that is a great answer!!!! "If you love Hiker Trash and are taking over operation of a hostel because you love them and love the trail and love the whole great big idea of the AT and want to leave your imprint, you'll probably be happy. You'll also either want to always be busy serving their needs, cleaning up after them, transporting them, feeding them, equipping them, encouraging them, and making them go to sleep when they've had too much to drink or attended too many Safety Meetings (TM). If you've got the heart for it, your heart will probably be full until the day you pass your place onto the next Sucker (TM). You'll probably always be poor. But you can be poor and happy. From my spotty entrepreneurial past, I'd encourage you to cover all of your bases. Treat it as a business first and find out what your perennial money makers are going to be. What will your business focus be during the off-season - what is going to pay the bills? It had better be something other than your pension check. Get a team together (accountant, lawyer, insurer, estate planner, mentor, and shrink, etc.) and also create a business plan and business continuity plan up front. If you take over a hostel, I'll stay with you during my thru in a couple of years. But from where I sit (a few miles north of my favorite trail in Indiana), those look like the two big topics. Do it out of hiker love or you'll be miserable. And do it for the money, or you'll quickly go broke and the For Sale sign will be right back up in the yard again. Only it'll be you dealing with the Realtor this time."
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Fadedsun, any updates on this? Did you find anything? I had no idea so many properties would be for sale.

Don't put the Doyles into the mix. It is the best Flop House on the trail! (Is there any better?)

I'm looking for an AT hostel for sale.

Anybody out there looking to sell?

Anybody know someone looking to sell?

I'm thinking of retiring. Not quitting work. Just quitting working for money doing something I don't like to do. Would rather be doing something I do like to do at this point in my life.

Your hostel would be lovingly cared for and appreciated.

You know, I had the SAME THOUGHT tonight after arriving at work. It would be totally cool to find a hostel for sale or some other option that would facilitate taking care of hikers for fun/social time/enlightenment. The rat race is no fun, that's for sure!
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Wow... what a great thread.

Lots of choices in different locations.

I envy the OP for being at this stage of life!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++