WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Bottle Holder

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a water bottle holder to attach my 28 ounce stainless steel bottle to either the hip belt or shoulder strap of my Gregory Z65. The side pockets on the pack are unreachable when I am hiking and I don't want to take the pack off each time I want to drink. I don't like using hydration bladders either.

I have seen some posts on here about making your own holder, but I'm not very good at sewing/making things. I haven't had much luck finding anything designed for this purpose. I have seen some MOLLE bottle carriers that look like they could work. I suppose I could dangle the bottle with a mini biner, but I don't want it swing around when I hike.

Has anyone seen or used something that works?

Well, I purchased a few "Aqua Clips" (google it). They work on the Smart water bottles, and others. I clipped it into a loop on my shoulder straps. then just took some shock cords (1/8th) and used a fishermans knot to make a loop that goes thru a small clip on the shoulder strap and around the bottom of the bottle. That keeps them from swinging around. I just reach to the bottle and pull up, the clip slides out of the strap at the same time the elastic rolls off the bottom of the bottle. Works good for me. I shift the water weight to my front, can see what I have left (I carry two) and have water right there, no reaching around. I don't even bother to remove the clips at night, just leave them on the bottles all the time.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

A few months ago a guy that has a YouTube backpacking channel did a review on the Aquaclip you can watch by clicking on this link https://youtu.be/-G4EVu0zW3k.
    Here’sa few backpacking websites that you might be interested in, a backpacker did areview on the Aquaclip on his “Hike It Like It” blog you can read if you likeby clicking on this link http://hikeitlikeit.com/2015/small-things-the-aqua-clip/.Also this backpacking website called Trail Space did an in-depth review withpictures at http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/aquaclip/.
    Hope this information is of help.

Get ready for the scalding.....you carry STEEL water bottle!!!! The gram weenies are cringing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Get ready for the scalding.....you carry STEEL water bottle!!!! The gram weenies are cringing....
    Haha! I love my steel bottle. Weighs less than a Nalgene and no chance of leaks. I've dropped it on rocks, rolled it down the trail, and it only has a few dents to show for it. Well worth the slightly extra weight for its durability.

The Aquaclip looks interesting, but I'd like to first see if I can find something to hold my existing bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hailstreak View Post
    Haha! I love my plastic gatorade bottle. Weighs less than a Nalgene and no chance of leaks. I've dropped it on rocks, rolled it down the trail, and it has no dents to show for it. Well worth the 69 cents I paid for it.

The Aquaclip looks interesting, but I'd like to first see if I can find something to hold my existing bottle.
    Jeez........

I use this on my Nalgene: https://www.amazon.com/THE-BOTTLE-BE...e+bottle+strap
    then I clip it to my pack w/a biner. It's always within reach when I want it, and out of the way when I don't.
    (I don't like bladders either)...

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Jeez........
    agree

Images

My very first backpacking trip was with a guy who used tarp bungies (those round things with a big sphere on the end) to secure his water bottles to his shoulder straps. Worked a treat and he lent me some to use for my water bottles.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Seriously a simple mitton hook, short piece of your bear bag cord and a good rubber band or shock cord for the bottom to keep from swinging to much....really eaxy

I use a sling that I bought from a local outfitter. REI seems to carry it too. It fits a 1 liter smart water bottle, though I usually carry a smaller bottle in it - the .7 liter size.
    I tied it to the carry / hanging handle of the back pack and let it ride behind my shoulder. When I want a drink, just move it to the front and take a drink. I ditched the little bag attached to it and used the clip on my pack to hold laundry to dry or whatever.

https://www.rei.com/product/893169/c...FYwDhgodOJAB-Q

Journal Entries
    Images

I love my free Aquafina one litre plastic bottle that fits my Sawyer water purifier and if it leaks, I can get a new one at any convenience store in the U.S. It doesn't weight hardly anything and I've dropped it on rocks, rolled it down the trail and it has absolutely no dents because it's plastic. Did I mention it was free? And that it doesn't weigh anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hailstreak View Post
    Haha! I love my steel bottle. Weighs less than a Nalgene and no chance of leaks. I've dropped it on rocks, rolled it down the trail, and it only has a few dents to show for it. Well worth the slightly extra weight for its durability.

Journal Entries

Take a look at Zpacks (www.zpacks.com). They have a shoulder pouch that works great with up to a 750 ml bottle. I bought 2 and they are made from cuben fiber so they weigh nothing! I plan on carrying 2ea 20 oz Gatorade bottles with room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Well, I purchased a few "Aqua Clips" (google it). They work on the Smart water bottles, and others. I clipped it into a loop on my shoulder straps. then just took some shock cords (1/8th) and used a fishermans knot to make a loop that goes thru a small clip on the shoulder strap and around the bottom of the bottle. That keeps them from swinging around. I just reach to the bottle and pull up, the clip slides out of the strap at the same time the elastic rolls off the bottom of the bottle. Works good for me. I shift the water weight to my front, can see what I have left (I carry two) and have water right there, no reaching around. I don't even bother to remove the clips at night, just leave them on the bottles all the time.
    I got an Aqua Clip and use it just like you describe. Works great, simple and cheap solution that weighs virtually nothing.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I have tried and don’t like carrying water bottles on my shoulder straps. I also have a problem reaching the bottle pockets on my pack. After trying several different options from several different manufacturers, I have settled on and use two Bottle Pockets from Mystery Ranch on my hip belt. [http://www.mysteryranch.com/bottle-pocket-ex] At 3 oz. each, they a bit heavier than some options, but they work wonderfully for me, snug out of the way and don’t flop around.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mountainsmith used to offer a bottle holder that would slip on to any waistband. I had two and kick myself for getting rid of them. You might be able to find one out there.

I paid $8 for a light weight "bottle holster" at Cabelas. Fits on hip belt and easily large enough for my 32 oz Powerade bottle

did you find one yet?

I've tried water bottles on hip belts and find they interfere with my arm swing and they slosh around a lot. Having them up on my shoulder straps gives neither of these problems. Also I think having the water weight in front helps to shift your center of gravity closer to you spine which helps with walking dynamics. This is why people carry heavy weights on their heads. I just have two thin bungee cord loops on the daisy chain of each pack strap. I use the 24 oz Gatorade bottles that have the nice twist-open drinking spout and the grooves in the side to loop the bungees around.

++ New Posts ++