WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone ever catch themselves judging other hobby enthusiasts? =D

Me when walking through the non-backpacking section of REI: "Who the heck would spend this kind of money on a bicycle??!!"

Then i go buy a $40 titanium coffee mug 😂😂😂😂

Before I started backpacking I watched Wild (no, that's not what got me into it) and thought "that just doesn't look like fun doing a long distance hike, I don't see the appeal". Now, a few years later and I'm contemplating the PCT...funny how things change. I always pitied the backpackers when I was riding my horse up a mountain...now I'm the one on foot.

I admit to thinking that $5000 is a lot of money for a bike!

I definitely don't judge, I have a slew of expensive hobbies and this is just one of them. I can definitely understand the allure of treating yourself to nice 'fun' things regardless of what they are.
    2018 NOBO Hopeful
    OEF/OIF Veteran
    Blog: www.going-big.com

Images

I do think there is a law of diminishing returns on bicycles and kayaks/canoes/SUPs. My other hobbies are all watersports. I have a kayak and a SUP and compete on a dragon boat team. Despite the $300+ carbon fiber paddle costs, I have sunk way more into backpacking gear.

The good news is that backpacking gear can be used to compliment my watersports. I can use it to kayak/SUP camp. I can camp near Dragon Boat race sites. And I admit that I buy my technical clothes now with not just hiking in mind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Images

I suppose one could be into yacht racing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got my gear dialed in to the point that I'm happy with what I've got. I could spend more on fancier and maybe a little-lighter gear but I'm not motivated to do it.

I don't judge what anyone else has but I get a chuckle out of people with 40 lb packs and little alcohol stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've got my gear dialed in to the point that I'm happy with what I've got. I could spend more on fancier and maybe a little-lighter gear but I'm not motivated to do it.

I don't judge what anyone else has but I get a chuckle out of people with 40 lb packs and little alcohol stoves.
    I must admit I was a little open-mouthed at the giant packs I saw some people carrying for a weekend when I started my week-long Solitude Loop hike. I am guessing they were more about the camping and the fishing than the backpacking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I must admit I was a little open-mouthed at the giant packs I saw some people carrying for a weekend when I started my week-long Solitude Loop hike. I am guessing they were more about the camping and the fishing than the backpacking.
    Their are some ginormous packs out there. I hiked through the Grayson Highlands this past weekend and I couldn't help but notice how may weekenders were out with everything and the kitchen sink. Instead of judging them I give them kudos for getting outside.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Their are some ginormous packs out there. I hiked through the Grayson Highlands this past weekend and I couldn't help but notice how may weekenders were out with everything and the kitchen sink. Instead of judging them I give them kudos for getting outside.
    Agreed. No judgement on those people...just shock that they weren't sweating and straining under the weight! Some of them looked badly packed and lopsided, and were fitted horribly. But they were out there and having fun...and if people aren't out there to enjoy it, they won't fight for it.

I've been known to spend over $300 on a dozen arrows and $3500 once on a mountain bike...sadly those were not typos I'm not judging anyone or complaining about the money I spent on a Duplex tent. Honestly, it's all money well spent but, please don't tell my wife

Before I started backpacking I watched Wild (no, that's not what got me into it) and thought "that just doesn't look like fun doing a long distance hike, I don't see the appeal". Now, a few years later and I'm contemplating the PCT...funny how things change. I always pitied the backpackers when I was riding my horse up a mountain...now I'm the one on foot.

I admit to thinking that $5000 is a lot of money for a bike!
    There's an incorrect assumption Cheryl Strayed accurately represents or is a good example of PCTers whether it be according to 1995 PCT standards when she hiked the PCT NOBO to the WA/OR border or currently.

I have several expensive hobbies. Still active in some, others have petered out.
    Tennis, golf, cycling (both mountain and road), scuba. Hiking seems cheap compared to others.
    Most hobbies are expensive if you have the funds and willing to spend them.

All were somewhat reasonable until I introduced my hobbies to my children.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    . . . "Who the heck would spend this kind of money on a bicycle??!!" . . .
    REI doesn't stock any really good bicycles. They just sell low end beginner bikes!

I must admit I was a little open-mouthed at the giant packs I saw some people carrying for a weekend . . .
    I have to admit, I saw consistently giant packs on the backs of people I ran into in the White Mountains that were hiking hut to hut, while I was carrying a pack less then half their size while backpacking the same trails totally self supported. But then, I also day hike the Whites with a good friend that is an AMC Mountain guide who knows his stuff. I rarely carry more than 1/2 the weight and volume he carries. We each have our own sensibilities. We both have vast experience. I like responsible, but light weight. He likes being prepared for every possible complication for us and anyone else we might run into. I want to survive whatever we encounter. He wants to survive with a large margin for error in reasonable comfort whatever we encounter.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    REI doesn't stock any really good bicycles. They just sell low end beginner bikes!
    Actually they now selling Ghost which is a pretty decent line out of Germany. And I'd say they at least never carry Huffy!

I run into weekend/short section hikers withtheir 50-60lbs packs and tent to be a little judgy. They don't understand how i have EVERYTHING I need in a sub 20lbs pack.

Journal Entries
    Images

As an avid cyclist, too (long bike trails), I laughed when I read this, dcdennis. I have about $3k of cycling kit in the damn garage and $2500 worth of hiking kit in the basement. I am proud, however, that I only have $500 more to spend on hiking kit to match my previous cycling expenditures. I'm that guy you read about who said, "My only fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my hiking gear (and bikes) for what I told her I paid for it!"

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    Me when walking through the non-backpacking section of REI: "Who the heck would spend this kind of money on a bicycle??!!"

Then i go buy a $40 titanium coffee mug 

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Actually they now selling Ghost which is a pretty decent line out of Germany. And I'd say they at least never carry Huffy!
    I was mostly being flippant about bike values. Yes, REI carries some very nice bikes. BUT, they really don't carry anything that would be considered truly high end. Their selection tops out around $5000, and most of their bikes are well under $2000.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Anyone ever catch themselves judging other hobby enthusiasts?

All the time.
    But thats because most other people are dumba$$es

My favorite, is the persons that join hunting lease, just to have a place and reason to ride their $10k atv around.
    Especially when they could just walk to their stand in 10 min.

Another fav.....the people that gotta have camo everything to go outside. Belt, pants, shirt, etc. And Im not talking about going turkey hunting either. Saw some of these idiots dayhiking in SNP once with their wives ( who wore normal clothing) They equate camo with anything outdoors.

Oh yeah, I judge.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-31-2016 at 20:44.

I don't judge people with 50 lb packs. Been there. Some people are just busy or have other hobbies, and they just throw in a few hundred dollars and a couple hours research and get outside! My first kit cost hardly anything and was heavy... but they didn't have nearly the variety of gear and the online resources at that time. And, of course, the outdoorsy looking retail associate expertly explained the merits of a 7 lb pack and a gigantic water filter.

I do sometimes judge people that drop 2k+ on a mountain bike and are poor bikers and rarely go! And then they buy a wind surfer or something the next summer....
    But not my money!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Another fav.....the people that gotta have camo everything to go outside. Belt, pants, shirt, etc. And Im not talking about going turkey hunting either....
    Oh, I know that guy! Camo 2-burner stove. Camo shirt, belt, pants. He was with a group we hiked with two weeks ago to a small waterfall in the Smokies.
    About a dozen people at the falls when we got there. I saw two guys comparing knives. Yep, open that baby up, show what a shiny blade you got! A few minutes later I told my camo friend about the knife conversation. He was carrying two "special" knives: one of those SAK that's about an inch-and-a-half thick with EVERYthing on it, and a large fixed blade knife in a sheath on his belt. He was so disappointed that he didn't get to join the two guys and show his blades, and can-opener, and screwdriver, and scissors, and fingernail file, and whatever else was on that thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++