WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Well there's only one real authority that we can turn to on this matter.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I find if I walk very quietly, the hiker in front of me will jump out of the way once he finally realizes I am right on his heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I know that some people advocate for it, my argument is that it doesn't have any merit. I could see a congested and heavily managed place such as the grand canyon needing extra guidelines to properly manage their trails and allow better management of the huge number of hikers they see in a fragile environment, but I don't think that it translates to a need for it on other trails.
    In addition to that having downhill hikers yielding to uphill hikers just doesn't make sense since they have gravity working against them, which is why both bikers and trail runners yield way to people going downhill. Personally I just slow down and say hi to everyone I meet, since while it may not be obvious from my posts on this site, I'm a nice person in real life.
    its hiking etiquette to yield the right of way to an uphill hiking hiker. When I first heard it, I was an out of shape 40 something that welcomed the chance to stop walking up hill. I spent some time thinking about it since then and realized that someone walking down hill is actually looking down the trail and can see someone walking towards them long before the uphill hiking hiker can see them. The downhill hiking hiker can pull off at a safe spot on the trail and allow the uphill hiking hiker to pass safely, and in most cases, scare the bejeesus out of them by a bright and friendly "Good Morning!"

What does the uphill hiking hiker see when walking uphill? The trail 5 or 10 feet in front of his or her face. They do not have the energy to crane their neck back to look up the trail, and in some cases it may be dangerous to do so as their pack weight pulls them backwards. Yeah, only noobs ignore that "rule".

Dont be a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Id like to know who made it up.
    Because there isnt any rules.
    there isnt any governing body of hiking.

Well, you've pretty much hit it on the head. When we speak of courtesy or etiquette, you are absolutely correct, there are no rules. It's exactly the same in real life. There is absolutely no law rule preventing me from walking up to your wife and telling her what I think of her body and what I think she'd be good at in bed. But you know what? It would be downright rude and inappropriate. But it's not illegal to say rude and inappropriate things. It's just inconsiderate (and you'd be right to punch me in the nose for doing it!).

And that's how it is with hiking etiquette. There are no enforceable rules or laws. We all must govern our own behaviour by trying to be considerate of others. Most of the breaches of etiquette mentioned in this thread do not merit a punch in the nose, but they certainly merit social exclusion at a minimum.

Turning once again to the question of yielding to uphill hikers, the reality of a great many steep climbs is that there is not always adequate room for two parties to pass simultaneously. If somebody going uphill elects to stop for a breather or to chat, that's his choice. But otherwise, the considerate thing to do is for the downhill hiker to yield. Frankly, on a long 3,000 foot climb, we all hope to establish a climbing rhythm and maintain a steady cadence to take us to the top (this is particularly true if you are hiking with a loaded pack at altitude). Interrupting that cadence and rhythm makes a climb much more difficult. On the other hand, when going downhill, the challenge is not to sustain a cadence, but rather to keep yourself from going too fast. It's much easier to stop and re-start when you are going downhill than when you are going uphill.

If you choose to not yield to uphill traffic, that's fine; it's not illegal. Just keep in mind that it puts you in the same class of people who make rude comments to women or who drive slowly in the left lane on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I find if I walk very quietly, the hiker in front of me will jump out of the way once he finally realizes I am right on his heals.
    That's really not nice.

There is nothing worse than the old being scared from behind, and then having to walk off the trail to change the underwear.

I have known people who have stalked the offender and at night lured blood thirsty drop bears to their tent, and laugh as the offender was eaten.
    maxresdefault_thumb2.jpg
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

We here in the Alps have the habit of the downhill-people giving way to the uphill-goer. Or, in a wider aspect, the ones with the easier task giving way to the one having the more tedious and difficult task.
    Similar to the habit of the one approaching a resting group should greet first.
    This we dont understand as rules, but as our kind of politeness (if we have any at all).

...and remember! When a upgrade traveler approaches it is always customary for the down trodden to express said verbiage's "you're almost there" and directly after passing, cackle crow like wiph a bit of a whimsical hyena laugh.

Thought this is only for Brits (the infamous British Black Humor?)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This is just getting silly. If you feel like you need to have a "rule" to tell you how to properly walk past another human being on something as leisurely as the appalachian trail then you might want to take some time to work on your ability to play nice with others...
    +100000000000000000000
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I had a time a couple of years ago when my life offered me enough of a breather that I managed to get out at least a couple of weekends a month, and for a two-week hiking vacation. For once in my life I started to find my 'trail legs'. I found that I did get into a cadence hiking uphill, and appreciated those who would step aside. Most of the time, though, I'll just step aside for anyone that I see coming. If I'm being overtaken from behind, well, I'm slower than everybody, so that's perfectly ok.

Exceptions made, of course, when stepping aside means stepping into water, air, vertical rock, or dense spruce.

Sometimes I'll give a halloa when I'm starting down a lemon squeeze or other narrow section, in case there's someone coming up it. That's always followed with, "OK, you come on through. I'll wait."
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

With winter coming, let me add a pet peeve of mine. Postholes. If there's a foot of snow about, put on your @^&#$%!! snowshoes - for the safety of others! When powder snow drifts, it disguises the holes you left, and the hikers behind you will trip in the holes. If this happens on a trail that follows a narrow ledge, it can be disastrous. New York actually requires snowshoes or skis when a trail is covered with eight inches or more of snow. (They will look the other way at those who are using crampons appropriately and have their snowshoes with them. Whoever drafted the regulation didn't consider that case, but any ranger who sees you in those conditions will be wearing his own crampons.)

I'm remembering one offender in particular, who was trusting a well-broken trail to hold him - with about 4-5 feet of snow on the ground. Every few dozen yards, he'd broken through and left a posthole that went down to the second joint on one of my poles. Sometimes, he left a tank trap as he wallowed about getting back onto the packed trail. I fell flat on my face in one of them. Fortunately, the snow was a soft landing. How the guy thought he was going to make progress when he kept sinking like that is beyond me.

Posthole by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Seems to me that if you look at other traffic situations in life you find that the person or vehicle that can most easily maneuver is the one who must yield. Examples include vehicles yielding to pedestrians, small boats yielding to larger boats/ships. In the case of two hikers meeting head on on a trail, one ascending and one descending, it seems to me that the one descending can most easily stop and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Seems to me that if you look at other traffic situations in life you find that the person or vehicle that can most easily maneuver is the one who must yield. Examples include vehicles yielding to pedestrians, small boats yielding to larger boats/ships. In the case of two hikers meeting head on on a trail, one ascending and one descending, it seems to me that the one descending can most easily stop and start again.
    Assuming, of course, that the one descending is still in control of their descent - if not then anyone else on the trail best get as far off as possible

I'm not as polite as you. I would've woken their asses up, yelled and shook their tents and told them to take the dam tent down. The longer you hike the AT, the more you run into idiots like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I'm not as polite as you. I would've woken their asses up, yelled and shook their tents and told them to take the dam tent down. The longer you hike the AT, the more you run into idiots like that.
    Indelible note to self:
    Avoid idiots.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

tagg is flat out right,shelters are not a place for tents,period. We experienced a similar rudeness after a very long day. Two tents where 8 people should be. Tents are built to be put on the ground. A blizzard where you are alone seems ok. Other than that,it is simply wrong. Think of a shelter as a hostel,do you pitch a tent inside there?

-

once inconsideration has been clearly established, a displacement of the offenders hiking foot ware ( in the woods 100 yds up the trail) will send a lasting reminder that there are consequences

I saw this one in the Whites this summer, 4-people, gear scattered wall to wall

DSCN2895.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    As a new hiker, I will honestly say, while I know that it is not a good idea to set up a tent in a shelter, there may be some things that I do that may not be the "right" thing to do. Truth be told, that is one of my biggest fears as I get started. I have been on some forums and seen some newbies get reamed for something they "should know better than to do" when in actuality, they didn't know better because they had not reached that part of their research yet. I read a lot and do a lot of research so I am learning things every day but most of it I have learned because of my reading and research and not because anyone bothered to take the time to teach me. (Or that there was anyone to teach me for that matter.)

I have never been worried about a tent in a shelter when I'm alone or with one or two others.

At the same time when the weather is bad and space is tight It hasn't occurred to me to use a tent in a shelter.

Ok. I still haven't pitched a tent in a shelter but I'm still thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    I have never been worried about a tent in a shelter when I'm alone or with one or two others.

At the same time when the weather is bad and space is tight It hasn't occurred to me to use a tent in a shelter.

Ok. I still haven't pitched a tent in a shelter but I'm still thinking about it.
    The thing is, you might be alone in the shelter when you set up the tent inside it, but you don't know how many others might show up later. If you wait until midnight and your still alone, then maybe set up the tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++