WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

haha, well done. my first couple hikes were pretty spectacular fails, yet were somewhat enjoyable (in retrospect, at least?). I just dove right in on some solo hikes with almost no knowledge

Big hike 1 was 100 miles over 4 days. My footwear was terrible. I slept on a blue mat about 1/4 inch thick. The temps got to about 35 and I had this thin mat and just a little fleece blanket that was probably ideal at about 60f! I didn't realize there were bears where I was hiking until a hiker told me "seen a bunch of bear scat up that way..."

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Or in one case, because your trip leader didn't know that Snacktime was terrified of heights! (I'd certainly have chosen a less scrambly route, if I'd known. And by the time I'd learnt, the #1 priority had to be "get everyone off the damned mountain.") That shelter was pretty luxurious, though, and the views were terrific!
    FWIW I didn't know either! At the top of a Class 2 (?) scramble was a fine time for us to find out! Even though it was cut short, I loved that hike! I've loved them all!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

not a great start on the AT but what have you done since then? have you done more hiking? it's never too late...

funny blog but is your first post about hiking, or just to drive traffic to it? because that was a long time ago and the current Categories there are Exercise, Fantasy Football, Sports, Travel, TV, etc..

I don't see any expressed interest in hiking the AT, which is what this site is...

Wow! Thanks everyone for the outpouring of comments/advice/recommendations, and I very much appreciate the kind words some people have shared. I really wasn't expecting this level of response.

The bug for hiking is still there. And, I will definitely have an updated post should I give the AT another go (section or thru).

Happy hiking!

- Taylor

Thanks for your feedback Secondmouse.

No, the entire blog is not solely focused on hiking; but, that story was. So, I felt that it was an appropriate share for this site given the media forum section is rather broad.

I have no intention on sharing unrelated topics on this forum; and, if you feel I have stepped outside of the intent and purpose of this forum, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by tpool33 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Secondmouse.

No, the entire blog is not solely focused on hiking; but, that story was. So, I felt that it was an appropriate share for this site given the media forum section is rather broad.

I have no intention on sharing unrelated topics on this forum; and, if you feel I have stepped outside of the intent and purpose of this forum, my apologies.
    no, not at all, welcome... but understand how often user forums get this type of post pointing someone to a website or blog and then we never hear from them again.

if you have another hiking tale, discussion, or even questions, we'll all be delighted to have you.

and pics. we love pics...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    FWIW I didn't know either! At the top of a Class 2 (?) scramble was a fine time for us to find out! Even though it was cut short, I loved that hike! I've loved them all!
    I'd grade it an easy Class 3. Use of hands for balance required, some limited exposure (certainly enough to send a beginner into a panic).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

ok, show of hands, how many people actually thought this was going to be more than just blog spam?..

What is blog spam?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Oh good grief.
    You coulda, woulda, shoulda bought a copy of The Complete Walker before you graduated.
    It's not too late either.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went with Karen Berger's Hiking Basics

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Pfft, its not a fail to set a goal and try and not achieve the goal. Its only a fail if one gives up trying. The trail will always be there. So will the goal.
    Hmm. Achieving a goal is not the same as trying to achieve that goal. Is that being argued?

Can we have a measure of success by redefining goals or attaching other goals to achieving the primary goal and achieving those other goals sure but that does not ignore the achievement or lack of achieving the primary goal. The initial goal, the main goal, was not realized. In that perspective FAILURE was experienced.

Maybe we're not on the same page defining goals. Let me be clear how I define goals. Maybe you can share more clearly your position?

I define and recognize personal goals not as suggestions to myself. Goals are clearly identified measured targets. They are not unfounded unmeasured fantastical day dreams based without a timeline and regular accountability to myself during the incremental stages in achieving the target. I attach the words success to goal setting defined by achieving the goal. I see goal setting as making an obligation a commitment to succeed by realizing that goal.

The OP had a clear target, a measured goal...a goal of walking the AT between Virginia and Massachusetts. He aimed to hit that target, that goal. He failed to hit it.

LOL. When I pack my parachute the clearly defined goal is that it opens and performs as it should after I jump out of the airplane. If it fails to open that's failure for it to open...and it has it's consequences. It's not a success!

LOL. When it's my mutually agreed upon goal to get to my GF's house at 7 p.m. and I get there at 10 p.m. after making a 3hr stop at the bar she doesn't tell me I was successful at arriving at 7 p.m....and it has it's consequences!

LOL. When it's the clearly defined and agreed upon goal to arrive at a biz meeting prepared for the meeting at 8 a.m. and I arrive unannounced 2 hrs late and unprepared that's not achieving the goal....and it has consequences.

Are there "special" different goal setting rules or techniques or definitions of the goal when people have a clearly defined goal to walk the AT between VA and MA within a specified period that I'm missing?

I went with Karen Berger's Hiking Basics
    Bright person who has wrote several very good, IMHO well above average in quality, backpacking books. Great talking to her.

This thread is all semantics...persevere, overcome, adapt. Failure would be choosing to never hike again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hmm. Achieving a goal is not the same as trying to achieve that goal. Is that being argued?

Can we have a measure of success by redefining goals or attaching other goals to achieving the primary goal and achieving those other goals sure but that does not ignore the achievement or lack of achieving the primary goal. The initial goal, the main goal, was not realized. In that perspective FAILURE was experienced.

Maybe we're not on the same page defining goals. Let me be clear how I define goals. Maybe you can share more clearly your position?

I define and recognize personal goals not as suggestions to myself. Goals are clearly identified measured targets. They are not unfounded unmeasured fantastical day dreams based without a timeline and regular accountability to myself during the incremental stages in achieving the target. I attach the words success to goal setting defined by achieving the goal. I see goal setting as making an obligation a commitment to succeed by realizing that goal.

The OP had a clear target, a measured goal...a goal of walking the AT between Virginia and Massachusetts. He aimed to hit that target, that goal. He failed to hit it.

LOL. When I pack my parachute the clearly defined goal is that it opens and performs as it should after I jump out of the airplane. If it fails to open that's failure for it to open...and it has it's consequences. It's not a success!

LOL. When it's my mutually agreed upon goal to get to my GF's house at 7 p.m. and I get there at 10 p.m. after making a 3hr stop at the bar she doesn't tell me I was successful at arriving at 7 p.m....and it has it's consequences!

LOL. When it's the clearly defined and agreed upon goal to arrive at a biz meeting prepared for the meeting at 8 a.m. and I arrive unannounced 2 hrs late and unprepared that's not achieving the goal....and it has consequences.

Are there "special" different goal setting rules or techniques or definitions of the goal when people have a clearly defined goal to walk the AT between VA and MA within a specified period that I'm missing?
    the everyone gets a trophy generation?

lol...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    This thread is all semantics...persevere, overcome, adapt. Failure would be choosing to never hike again.
    if you read his blog (where he actually posted his story in an attempt to drive traffic there) you would see that has actually done just that. his blog spends more bytes discussing TV and fantasy sports than anything else.

that was the purpose of my not so welcoming reply to the OP. thanks for dropping by to astroturf us dude...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Is that an anti-semantic remark?

Is that an anti-semantic remark?
    it prolly is and I just dont know it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    the everyone gets a trophy generation?

lol...
    I jovially said that half heartedly this weekend at my 5 yr old nephew's "championship" baseball game when my nephew's team was losing. Upon overhearing me one of the demanding very vocal proud competitive mothers of another 5 yr old player on the opposing team who has that all knowing attitude that her son is definitely going to be a professional baseball player when he grows up very seriously, snidely, and angrily turned to me and said "no, not everyone is going to get a trophy." My nephew's team went on to win the championship and in indeed he got a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I jovially said that half heartedly this weekend at my 5 yr old nephew's "championship" baseball game when my nephew's team was losing. Upon overhearing me one of the demanding very vocal proud competitive mothers of another 5 yr old player on the opposing team who has that all knowing attitude that her son is definitely going to be a professional baseball player when he grows up very seriously, snidely, and angrily turned to me and said "no, not everyone is going to get a trophy." My nephew's team went on to win the championship and in indeed he got a trophy.
    yeah, it's all fun and games till someone doesn't get a trophy. then watch the fur fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    if you read his blog (where he actually posted his story in an attempt to drive traffic there) you would see that has actually done just that. his blog spends more bytes discussing TV and fantasy sports than anything else.

that was the purpose of my not so welcoming reply to the OP. thanks for dropping by to astroturf us dude...
    Wow, okay. I thought we had covered this...not blog spam; I just thought this group would be interested in that story. When I write more stories that involve hiking, I will continue to share them. I thought that my own personal comments here had run their course, and didn't need to continuously be followed up on. Thanks again for giving it a read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++