WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Z packs fleece hoody

Could anyone with first hand experience with this piece comment on it?

Im especially interested in its ability to block wind. Im also interested in how breathable (or not breathable) it is.

Im looking to replace my merino wool mid-layer. But I think this go round I want my midlayer to have a hood. Im looking at some other merino wool options but was curious about this hoody as well.

Thanks

This isn't a secret kind of fleece. It's literally micro fleece which you can find for $100 cheaper off Amazon or Wal Mart. I have a micro fleece 1/4 zip from EMS that weighs 8oz and cost $30. Fleece does not block wind unless its sewn with wind blocking material. The Zpacks fleece even mentions to pair it with a wind shirt (which they conveniently sell for an arm or leg). I own of lot of gear from Zpacks but this fleece is one giant sham.

Edit: sham is the wrong choice of words. Should've said overpriced for what it is.
    Last edited by capehiker; 02-24-2017 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    This isn't a secret kind of fleece. It's literally micro fleece which you can find for $100 cheaper off Amazon or Wal Mart. I have a micro fleece 1/4 zip from EMS that weighs 8oz and cost $30. Fleece does not block wind unless its sewn with wind blocking material. The Zpacks fleece even mentions to pair it with a wind shirt (which they conveniently sell for an arm or leg). I own of lot of gear from Zpacks but this fleece is one giant sham.

Good to know.....I appreciate your honesty

Can you direct us to the same design, full zip, same weight, thumb hole, zippered pockets, elastic waist, hooded fleece that is $100 less?

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Can you direct us to the same design, full zip, same weight, thumb hole, zippered pockets, elastic waist, hooded fleece that is $100 less?
    I'm sure one can find one on Amazon. I guess the point of my argument is one doesn't need all those features in a micro fleece. A simple pullover micro fleece is all one needs. I've been backpacking for 30 years and have never needed thumb holes. I've never needed a fleece with a hood, and I've never needed a full zip. We get caught up in brand name clothing (I'm guilty as charged) and forget that sometimes simplicity is the best.

If you need to block wind . Try a windbreaker over a fleece. Breathes better the a rain jacket. But some just use a rain jacket.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post

My buddy just thru hiked the AT and BMT with this fleece and he loved his. Ive noticed more and more of them popping up...

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post

I really like power wool pullover! Do you have any experience with any of these products? THanks!

I'm sure one can find one on Amazon. I guess the point of my argument is one doesn't need all those features in a micro fleece. A simple pullover micro fleece is all one needs. I've been backpacking for 30 years and have never needed thumb holes. I've never needed a fleece with a hood, and I've never needed a full zip. We get caught up in brand name clothing (I'm guilty as charged) and forget that sometimes simplicity is the best.
    That wasn't your argument, you said this product was a "sham" insinuating that zpacks was conducting itself in a dishonest way. I haven't seen these same set of features in any other product including the examples that people have linked to here. The fleece that zpacks is using is not the same as your example, it is heavier. They designed and built it based on what they believe people need and want and offer it at price that customers can take or leave. It will be worth it for some but others (like you and I) are likely to find alternatives that meet our needs in a different way. But this is honest product development and marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    That wasn't your argument, you said this product was a "sham" insinuating that zpacks was conducting itself in a dishonest way. I haven't seen these same set of features in any other product including the examples that people have linked to here. The fleece that zpacks is using is not the same as your example, it is heavier. They designed and built it based on what they believe people need and want and offer it at price that customers can take or leave. It will be worth it for some but others (like you and I) are likely to find alternatives that meet our needs in a different way. But this is honest product development and marketing.
    I understand what you ars saying. "Sham" is a poor choice of wording.

Journal Entries

Not a sham, but certainly overpriced for what it is. At $60 it would be OK and theyd still make a killing on it.

I dont like anything about the direction zpacks has taken in last several yrs.

Images

Zpacks is no longer a cottage manufacturer. They have settled on a set of products, no longer do custom work, and have over 60 employees. It is still made in America, good stuff, for the lightweight hiker.

Whoa this fleece hoody is 150$?

What could possibly justify this price point? A fleece is a fleece. It's not like the expensive material used in rainwear, nor does it require sealing.....

I'm not sure I get it.

First Ascent make a good fleece - see their Polartec wind pro. Sells for about $100. No hood, super warm, comfortable without getting hot. Weighs 20 oz. I've ordered an Ether DriClime Hooded jacket from Backcountry to go with it. As a foreigner this order is turning into as they want me to go to the bank to do this and do that which I'm not happy about. (Looks like I'll stick with my HH rain coat) On the other hand, my order with ZPaks for a tent, sleeping bag and backpack was processed and shipped out within 4 days and customer service was 100's.

https://www.firstascent.co.za/produc...jacket-windpro

Has a full zip but no thumb holes. (you won't need them as the sleeves stay put)

TTT it's 20oz my go to fleece is 8oz .

I wear a super light HH base layer top/bottom that weighs virtually nothing, and a HH rain jacket that also weighs nothing. Both can fit into a sock. This is the heaviest fleece they make. All-in-all I don't break out in a sweat or overheat. A combination I'm very comfortable in without looking like a sumo wrestler.

In my humble opinion a fleece doesn't need a hood as the construction of one affects the heat retention property of the collar in keeping warmth in, thus making it less efficient and defeating the purpose it was designed for. A hood makes sense on the rain/wind gear over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++