WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 7 Days From Harpers Ferry

Hello, my daughter and I are looking to do a section from Harpers Ferry next June, 2017. We are arriving by train. Our plan is to take a shuttle north or south and then hike back to Harpers Ferry to catch a train home. We will have 6-7 days. Any suggestions as to a good drop-off distance/point to cover within this time frame? What are the better shuttles from Harper's Ferry? We would welcome any advice. We generally back pack each year together, so we are not novices. Thanks in advance.

How many miles per day do you want to cover ?
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Hello and thank you for replying. We are used to doing 8-10/day. We've done the Smokeys previously, so this distance is well is within our comfort zone. I am open to suggestions all around if you have any. Thanks!

Images

Caledonia State Park in PA would be around 60 miles from Harpers Ferry. A logical place to start for it's easy access . If Laurel at the Teahorse Hostel is still doing shuttles then I'd recommend her.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

If you want to go north here are a few options:

VA: Manassas Gap/I-66/Hwy 725 | 47.5 mile hike

VA: Front Royal/Hwy 522 | 53.9 mile hike

VA: Thornton Gap/Luray | 81.6 mile hike

If you could incorporate an extra day in the trip the Luray Caverns in Va. are worth a visit.

http://luraycaverns.com/

Another option going South would be ;

PA: Pine Grove/AT Museum | 78.8 mile hike

Hitch
    Last edited by H I T C H; 11-16-2016 at 19:11.
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

From what I remember from my section hike in that area last August, hiking from Caledonia State park southbound to Harper's Ferry was a lot of flat or easy downhill hiking.

But as you get a bit south of Harper's Ferry you will hit "the roller coaster" which is a series of like ten ups and downs in a short distance. If you do a search of people's least favorite parts of the AT this sections pops up alot.

Overall, I thought the area from SNP through Caledonia State Park was a neat area with pretty easy hiking and a lot of history!

I didn't have to use a shuttle so I can't recommend anything there.

Have fun when you get there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wi11ow View Post
    But as you get a bit south of Harper's Ferry you will hit "the roller coaster" which is a series of like ten ups and downs in a short distance. If you do a search of people's least favorite parts of the AT this sections pops up alot.
    Never understood "the roller coaster" being a concern. A stretch like that is an easy day in New England.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I recommend starting at Pine Grove Furnace State Park (north of Caledonia). 79 miles to Harpers Ferry and not too difficult. If you've hiked the Smokies, you'll easily cover this in 7 days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Never understood "the roller coaster" being a concern. A stretch like that is an easy day in New England.
    Biggest problem with the roller coaster is that it gets real boring.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Contact Rhonda Adams aka halfapp (304) 596 1911. Or on facebook. She's based out of Harpers Ferry.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hi, A group of ladies hiked with me this summer from Harper's Ferry south to Hog Wallow Gap at the north end of Shenandoah Park. We started on a Sunday morning and ended Saturday midday. We stopped at shelters and one hostel which made our mileage 8-12 miles per day. Mostly less than 10. Age group was 34-61. You could start at there or Front Royal and head north. If you are fast hikers, you could continue thru Harper's Ferry and go north to Washington Monument. Have fun!!

Pine Grove Furnace south to Harpers Ferry. 12 miles a day is easy on that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The terrain from Killington, VT to Hanover, NH reminded me some of the "roller coaster" in Virginia. I understand that that Vermont stretch is easier than just about anything north of it.

The Roller Coaster is not hard if you're prepared for it, but it can catch you by surprise because it doesn't look intimidating on the map or the profile. I hiked from Front Royal to Harper's Ferry with my son over two weekends. I strongly recommend that bit of trail. A small part of it runs very near developed areas -- we actually heard lawnmowers on Saturday morning. But otherwise it's a nice stretch of woods. Water was plentiful when we were there, and the shelters were not crowded.

++ New Posts ++