WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A day hike south from Harper's Ferry

Hi group - I am interested in doing a day hike, starting at Harper's Ferry and heading south this Friday. Initially I was interested in getting to Blackburn Trail Center but that is ~ 13 miles and I may not be up to covering that distance. Is there a good trail head maybe 8 - 10 miles from Harper's Ferry?

I've done this hike before but stopped around 6 miles (I had to double back to my car).

Thanks!

Images

Keys Gap is 6 miles from the footbridge in Harper's Ferry. An out and back doubles that mileage.
    * Another option is the Harper's Ferry/ Loudoun Heights Trail Loop hike that takes you through Harper's Ferry Proper before climbing the cliffs above the town.

Hiking Upward has a review of this hike...www.hikingupward.com
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Keys Gap is 6 miles from the footbridge in Harper's Ferry. An out and back doubles that mileage.
    * Another option is the Harper's Ferry/ Loudoun Heights Trail Loop hike that takes you through Harper's Ferry Proper before climbing the cliffs above the town.

Hiking Upward has a review of this hike...www.hikingupward.com
    Awesome, Johnny. Thanks! I may go to Keys Gap (with a hike to Loudoun). I don't want to turn around. I'm a point-to-point fellow.

If you didn't mind a little extra driving (not much) you could get a pretty nice 7.5 miles from Blackburn S. to Snickers Gap that would include the view from Raven's Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post
    If you didn't mind a little extra driving (not much) you could get a pretty nice 7.5 miles from Blackburn S. to Snickers Gap that would include the view from Raven's Rocks.
    That is a good idea. It would be an entirely new part of trail for me.

Awesome - it really is a fun hike (to me). You start with several miles of ridgewalking and then hit a few roller coaster bumps that include a great view. I live quite close to Snickers Gap. Feel free to message me with questions, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post
    Awesome - it really is a fun hike (to me). You start with several miles of ridgewalking and then hit a few roller coaster bumps that include a great view. I live quite close to Snickers Gap. Feel free to message me with questions, etc...
    Thanks Pal! I might just do that!

Just an FYI, starting in HF and going sobo is very challenging. The first several miles will basically be straight up ��

++ New Posts ++