WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ISO Partner for hiking about half the Pinhoti after Christmas

Just wondering if I could find someone to backpack on the Pinhoti for 3 to 6 nights? Would prefer southern end but doesn't really matter as I have done most of it at least twice. 2 people make shuttling so much easier even if we don't hike within sight of each other very much. I'm happy with 10-15 miles per day, but will accept the challenge to average more per day.

Also would consider driving farther to hike Cohuta Wilderness and/or Benton McKaye in North GA

Can you be more specific on the dates, sections, and mileage you realistically want to do?

One hiker will met me Tues, Dec 27 late morning, where we plan to walk the 5.3 mi Flagg Mtn section, then shuttle up to FS603A after we leave second car at (likely) Adams Gap. A second hiker plans to meet us somewhere in between for only one night, so we may have him help shuttle us at the end. I am experienced and will be happy with 10 to 18 miles per day. The other fellow is a younger newbie doing this in prep. for a 2017 AT long hike, so I can't say for sure how we will make out. I'm estimating we camp
    Tues- at the reliable stream before climbing Rebecca Ridge.
    Wed- pick up stashed water at Bull Gap then camp a few miles past there
    Thur- finish the rest of 14.4 miles between Bull Gap and Scott Lake
    Fri-camp wherever we end up at running water between Talladega Creek and Clairmont Gap
    Sat- walk out, if starting near Clairmont Gap, would be 7 more to Adams Gap or 17+ to Cheaha TH

I have need to return for church next Sunday, however, if someone wants to join and continue another day if needed, good luck to you.

Edwin

One hiker will met me Tues, Dec 27 late morning, where we plan to walk the 5.3 mi Flagg Mtn section, then shuttle up to FS603A after we leave second car at (likely) Adams Gap. A second hiker plans to meet us somewhere in between for only one night, so we may have him help shuttle us at the end. I am experienced and will be happy with 10 to 18 miles per day. The other fellow is a younger newbie doing this in prep. for a 2017 AT long hike, so I can't say for sure how we will make out. I'm estimating we camp
    Fri-camp wherever we end up at running water between Talladega Creek and Clairmont Gap
    Sat- walk out, if starting near Clairmont Gap, would be 7 more to Adams Gap or 17+ to Cheaha TH

I have need to return for church next Sunday, however, if someone wants to join and continue another day if needed, good luck to you.

Edwin

How was your trip? Little too much mileage for me, in my current, out of shape self.

Ednotmilkman, have you considered combining segments of different trails? AT, BMT, PT, Cohutta Wilderness, etc. They are all interconnected making for some great treks if ya think outside of the this is the only named ABC trail I'm going to explore box.

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post

Edwin
    You're caching H20 at Bull Gap? There's a chance with all the rain this area of Bama has been recently experiencing and mild temps there are puddles H20 just north of Bull Gap at a small rocky rivulet on a obvious short use rocky side paths you start to ascend. It's usually running in spring but dry in the heat and sun of summer.

David and I had a great trip. We decided to flip flop after getting to the vehicle at Bull Gap by driving the other vehicle to Cheaha and then hiking south from there late Wed evening. I got back to finish the trip about 2:30pm Saturday. David's legs were pretty worn out so he opted out Fri evening when we got to Porter's Gap. Found a fellow there to take him to Talladega where his sister was going to meet him and take him back to his vehicle at Cheaha. Will consider hiking the rest of the trail, maybe in 2 outings of about 3 nights, later this winter or by April, but only if someone will join me. No more water shortages for sure after the rain we've had after Christmas.

++ New Posts ++