WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What brand of Trekking poles do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pole Poll

Pacer Poles.

My first set were Walmart brand with flip locks. Next set were Black Diamond Z, but now use Easton AL-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Correct to you both... Typo in the first post on that being a pair...
    Though for $30 I'll probably grab one of these just because the Hammock crowd loves em and perhaps they can be broken down and used as two poles from one.
    A monopod/single staff can be quite handy with one hand free... but a bit of help when you need it.

I could potentially convert the existing poles into something like the Z-packs staff, this has long been a desire of mine as a companion to a mid shelter.
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/staff.shtml

Guess that's still the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around with poles generally... weight.
    On the other hand, much like shoes there is not much point in picking the lightest pair you can find when you are using them all day. Some of us can hike in minimalist shoes... some still prefer a full boot... such is the trekking pole debate it seems.

A set of 36" .625 bridge poles weighs 10oz on their own. So while on paper... doubling your weight (or more) in trekking poles is a hard thing for me to wrap my head around... it isn't any sillier than carrying 10oz of bridge pole when you already have 16-20 oz of trekking poles in your hands.

That said... you break a trekking pole and you are SOL not only with your shelter but with your walking style.
    That has always been a bit of a philosophical debate for me with dual use trekking pole/shelter systems overall.
    ...and there are quite a few forces in a bridge hammock that can stress a pole. (as well as high potential for user error) So this "trick" makes me nervous.

The mountainsmith or camera mount style poles are ideal as they already have factory integrated parts that allow the forces to transfer inline and in full bearing on the tubes.
    Depending on the wall thickness, compression force, and side force desired I'm almost certain you can beat the 10 oz wt of the .625 OD 6 ft length of carbon fiber poles even with a paired set of 36" each using a collapsible design, which I'm guessing you'd want, with 18" bungeed/shock corded and ferruled segments. I'm wondering if you even need .825 OD material for your application. An intelligent gear wonkish hands on DIYer like you I'd definitely suggest you save some do re mi and make them yourselves. It's an easy project making your own collapsable personally customized set.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/r...FdgWgQod9DcAqg

Might find components here for your diameter tubing: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?page_id=865

I'd contact both describing your project and ask for suggestions.

My first pair were Lekis, twist-locks. Lasted 13 years, eventually bent them beyond fixing. Picked up a pair of BDs in 2015. I've already kind of mangled the BDs. Totally my fault. I backed over them while heading home after a hike. D'oh.

Been using the WallyWorld cheapo's and have had great luck. While they're not the best, they are available everywhere and lasted a long time. The handles seem kind of heavy, They're rubber coated plastic, so the cork would definitely be more comfortable, but overall I'd give them a 9 out of 10. They're cheap enough to try a set without being out a lot of cash.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

REI Traverse = best value
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Thanks for the votes and the responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Thanks for the votes and the responses everyone.
    Can we drift now?
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that carbon fiber doesn't like compression, which I've never really fully understood with regard to say a bending cylinder or rod, the top is under a pulling force while the bottom is under compression...

Or is it??????

Journal Entries
    Images

Some rei twist locks from the goodwill. I have no issues with them I have put some effort into making them fail with no luck.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

The wally world twist locks are being retired. I now have perhaps 500 total miles with trekking poles, and have lost 2 of the steel tips ... I'm not going to keep replacing them with more of the same inferior products when there are wonderfully rated carbon poles (cascade mountain) online for only $45/pair. Those will be my next step.

The wally world tipless poles will be relegated to the pile of equipment for friends/ newbies to use. In Florida, in the sand, steel tips aren't necessary.

Thrift store/yard sale ski poles, and as long as possible. The old aluminum ones. For steep winter ice with down slope, they are so much more solid.

Images

Old poll, new poles!

Helinox Featherlite Passports.

I was totally unaware of Helinox and their poles, but they turned out to be a great set of poles. I bought the collapsible, twist-lock version which weighs just 10 oz for the pair. They collapse down to 21 inches and work great with my TT Protrail. They are very comfy in the hand and provide great support without feeling too bendy.

Black Diamond with cork grips. Need something to hold my tent up and didn't order tent poles, so...
    Never used trekking poles before. If they become superfluous I'll dump them and go in search of tent poles

My gram counting addiction has led me to now use the GGLT4's and I just LOVE the weight reduction; I do miss the shape of my old Leki CorkLite handles. Leki has GREAT customer service!!!

Yukon Charlie's Trek Lite Series Trekking Poles: 8.5 oz. each pole, cork grips, mix of twist lock (lower) and flick lock (upper) adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    My gram counting addiction has led me to now use the GGLT4's and I just LOVE the weight reduction; I do miss the shape of my old Leki CorkLite handles. Leki has GREAT customer service!!!
    Once you use really light poles it's hard to go back.

I really like the GG grips and use them on my myog poles.
    GLT_2017_011.jpg

I recently pick up a set of GG LT5's. The grips are very nice and they hardly weigh a thing. I've always wondered how people could hike without straps but, these are so light that I could see how it could be done.

I am hoping that the external locking mechanism is more reliable than the LT 4's.

I have found these Cascade Mountain Tech 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles very sturdy and light for the price. I am not one for trekking poles either but they are required for my tent setup so I might as well use them.

ah, hiking sticks grow on trees!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++