WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need 4 day hike suggestion in GA/NC/SC

Okay, so i was planning on hiking from tray gap into north carolina next week, but obviously fire and water conditions are suggesting otherwise. Does anyone have any hike suggestions (along the appalachian or elsewhere) in the GA/NC/SC area for a 4 day hike with good water?

I have no recent first hand experience - but I think that's what you'll need. With all the smoke I've heard about (I have relatives not too far from there), it doesn't sound like much fun to me to be in that general vicinity.

Head north to Va......under a 5 hour drive & well worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you recommend a specific section of the trail in virginia where there's no dog restrictions and there's plenty of water? I'm looking for a 30-40 mile section that I can do an out and back with. Thanks!

Looking at the low temps, I would prefer to stay in GA/NC...how does starting from springer sound in terms of water and fire?

(Va 603 sobo to Damascus is a great section with a pup...as long as he's ok with the horses. Approx 40 miles....my favorite AT section to date. I think 10k did it recently. Hit up Lone Wolf for a reasonable shuttle with safe parking.

What about the Foothills Trail? Just across the line in SC. I know there are some fires North of there but not sure about the smoke situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    What about the Foothills Trail? Just across the line in SC. I know there are some fires North of there but not sure about the smoke situation.
    Someone said part of FHT closed due to fires..

Quote Originally Posted by jacko213 View Post
    Looking at the low temps, I would prefer to stay in GA/NC...how does starting from springer sound in terms of water and fire?
    I'm in the same situation. Was Going to do the Roan Highlands but fire and water have derailed that. I've decided on Springer to Neel Gap. Just talked to Tyler at Mountain crossings at Neel gap and he said there's water (both creek, spring, and drop off cashes) and no smoke in that section. I'm starting Friday morning if you want to share a shuttle at 7am from Neel to Springer with "Alpine".

I stopped at Woody Gap on Sunday and there was a lot of gallon jugs there, FWIW. So someone is keeping the trail stocked.

Unfortunately am unable to get out there Friday because of school, but I may be a day behind you! Did Tyler mention how water was from Springer to Blood Mountain?

Someone's running a tally on the water but You won't need any leaving Springer before you hit Stover Creek and it's flowing. You'll hit a dry spell from Hawk Mountain Shelter to Justice Creek which by all counts is still flowing. However, there's usually a water cache at Cooper Gap. Just don't bet your life on it but should be there and do you until Justice Creek. Hopefully someone posts the latest report.

Images

In the same boat... had a group of four ready to hit the Foothills(or anywhere within five hours of north Alabama), but now can not find anywhere still permitting campfires. Thought we would just take my TiGoat cylinder stove, but even that is not allowed. Open to suggestions, but not "cold camping". Hate to say it, but this weekend is looking like a bust. Was really hoping to try out my new DIY UQ and Dutch Hammock; backyard it might be. LET IT RAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by jacko213 View Post
    Unfortunately am unable to get out there Friday because of school, but I may be a day behind you! Did Tyler mention how water was from Springer to Blood Mountain?
    Hardly any water and possibly a trail closure at Hogpen. Maybe Give him a call to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    There is/was a big fire on and around Pinnacle Mountain and Table Rock. Not sure if it is out now but will definitely effect a large portion of the FHT.

++ New Posts ++