Default alcohol fuel avalibility

I am planning an 06 thru hike (NOBO)and want to know the avalibility of fuel for alcohol/ cat can style stoves along the way. I use one locally but always buy fuel from hardware stores. I dont want to get stuck w/o fuel.

Also, do people use bear bags all the time, only in bear county, or never? Ive never used one, but am not really in Bear country.

Thanks

If you read other threads, alcohol is readily available along the AT. Should not be a problem. Sources should be listed in the ALDHA Companion and Wingfoot's handbook.

A bear bag is mearly a food bag. It becomes a bear bag when it gets hung at night. General advice is to bear bag your food when in bear country. How do you know you are in bear country? Real simple: First, there are bear cables or bear boxes. Second, there is notes about bears in the shelter registers.

Images

You'll have no problem getting alcohol for your stove. And, if you really immerse yourself in the experince out there, will not have a problem getting anything you need.

Images

If I stay in/at a shelter or designated campsite, I hang my food. BUT, "bear bag" is a misnomer; probably (just a guess) more food is taken by; mice, squirrls, raccoons, etc. than bears along the AT, so Mouse bagging, would be a better name. Therfore, I hang my food away from the mice & etc. & if it keeps it away from bears too, well that is OK with me

Alcohol BTW, seems to be plentiful on the AT.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Great info, thank you all. Im guessing that the USPS does not allow mailing denatured alcohol. Does anyone know???

Thanks in advance

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Having mailed the propane cannisters before, I'm rather certain you could mail the alcohol provided it was in a leak proof container. But ...given the price and availability of alcohol why would you want to. The postage would be more than the alcohol.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

'bear bag' is just a label. unless i'm car camping, i always hang my food. keeps the mice, racoons, and bigger animals, like mosquitos, out of it. (would you believe i got bitten while camping sunday night? sometimes i really hate this state...)

++ New Posts ++