WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default "Don't hike the Southern AT!"

So over on FB there are a couple of threads going begging people not to go hike the Southern portion of the AT due to the risk of fire. They also mention the smoke and air quality advisories, which is understandable. But the gist of it seems to be hikers = more campfires = more threat. I disagree. There's nothing that says if you hike you have to have a campfire. There is a ban on wood and "liquid" stoves in the Shenandoa, which I would guess rules out alcohol stoves but gas stoves are not banned there. If a hiker honors the fire bans and only uses their stove (or no stove at all) I can't see an issue.

I can count on one hand the number of wood campfires I've had in the last 16 years of backpacking. I do use a white gas simmerlite MSR stove but mostly cook in my tent vestibule so I'll know if it gets out of hand since my tent will burn up too---a good reminder that I did something wrong. Campfires are vastly overrated---Don't need them, don't use them.

At 0F I'm much warmer anyway inside my tent sitting on my Thermarest pad and under my -15F WM bag. No place warmer. And not sitting outside with a wind chill of -30F with my face and chest warmish but my back and feet frozen solid. Second, I don't want to be responsible in any way with an open fire or hot coals or sudden wind gusts or whatever else. And a good wood campfire should always be doused with water but I often don't have extra water for this job.

When I strike camp in the morning I do not want to worry a micro-second whether I left a hot ember in camp. Fires are over-rated. To me a campfire is a sign of newb outdoorsmen. Like finding piles of human turds on the ground with strewn toilet paper, I hate finding abandoned campfires still burning but left long ago by no-count miscreants. What? They can't be troubled by putting out their campfires??? American patriots at their best.

I don't have a problem with campfires per se. When alone, I never set one. If I come to a shelter and a bunch of people are there and want to start a fire I have no issue. Like you say, as long as they put it out. I agree its irresponsible to leave embers going when you leave.

I saw the same post and thought the same thing you did.

Images

I feel the same way. People who know I backpack seem to always ask if I have a campfire in the evenings and are surprised to find out I never make a fire. Most of the time I'm just too tired to make the effort and like Tipi says, if it's freezing outside I'm much more comfortable in my shelter and in my sleeping bag anyway.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

I've never once heard on this site that someone carries extra water to douse a fire, ever! Most don't even carry an extra 5th to drink, water water everywhere, to heavy, not needed. Every Boy Scout knows you can pour water on a fire and if you don't stir it up, in the morning you'll hear someone outside say "well someone got up early to start breakfast" Years from now people won't remember that much of this was arson...they'll just blame to dirty hiker types. Put your fire out completely or don't have one...that means check it. Pull your pants down and sit your Lilly arse on the coals.
    goodday

I disagree somewhat with your premise that they are trying to limit hikers to reduce the risk of additional fires. I'm sure that's part of it but my guess is that they are more concerned with fires spreading rapidly and having to mount a difficult rescue operation. Also, thick smoke can have a negative effect on people with respiratory problems and, in any case, is difficult and unpleasant to hike through. One year I was hiking out west during fire season and it can get pretty hairy out there!

Journal Entries

Fires be less concern to you on trail when you can see 1/4 mile or more around you.

In woods with no visibility....unnerving to choke on smoke

I am heading out on Saturday to camp on the Georgia AT. I have a cliff I like to hammock camp on.

Highs forecast in the mid-40's, lows in the mid-20's with 20 mile per hour winds. It should be interesting.

I'll take some pictures and post if I see any fire activity.

Carl

I'd like some updated pics of what the actual ground and forest looks like after these fires, esp in NC and TN.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I've never once heard on this site that someone carries extra water to douse a fire, ever!
    Because that would be really dumb.
    I can't say I would ever make a fire when there isn't a water source nearby... unless it was a survival situation
    I do agree that a lot of hikers don't put it out properly though. Seen it many many times

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Because that would be really dumb.
    I can't say I would ever make a fire when there isn't a water source nearby... unless it was a survival situation
    I do agree that a lot of hikers don't put it out properly though. Seen it many many times
    Good post. Validates in part my comment that campfires are for newbs. A fire captivates the beginner. Probably its presence induces a sense of false security in an outdoor setting. It does not.

There is a reason campfires are called Hiker TV. And it isn't good.

But I do love my campfires.

I sure wish it would rain so I can build one. It has been at least 6 weeks here in Atlanta.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Good post. Validates in part my comment that campfires are for newbs. A fire captivates the beginner. Probably its presence induces a sense of false security in an outdoor setting. It does not.
    or it could be that some people simply enjoy a fire regardless of their experience. when I'm hiking I don't normally make a fire but that doesn't mean I don't like to sit back and gaze into one at the end of the day.

social and ceremonial fires are important to indigenous peoples around the world yet I hardly think they'd qualify as newbs. in fact, the Swahili have a word in their language that describe this phenomenon. it means roughly translated, "he dreams the fire"...

There is something about campfires and fire in general that stimulates the imagination.

Native Americans used fire as a tool to control brush and to manage game.

Lightening probably also caused some fires.

Is it possible we protect too much against the natural effects of fire and thereby create an environment for catastrophe?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'm a big fan of campfires, although I rarely have them these days. When I do make one is usually on a more social hike in the winter when the days are short and the company is good, or on rainy days in the early season, knowing how to reliably make a fire during inclement weather is a very useful skill and I enjoy practicing it. Generally if I am in conditions where I really want a campfire then there is already enough snow or rain to mak extinguishing it easy and to prevent any chance of the fire getting out of control.

On the other hand making a campfire in the southern Appalachians during a four month drought is nothing short of madness.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have hiked in various places in this country when there were campfire bans in effect because of dry conditions. In every circumstance I saw some people building or gathered around campfires anyway. On a couple occasions I mentioned to people I saw doing this that there was a campfire ban in effect and the response was always, "oh, they just lifted the ban - I saw a sign saying so posted at a trailhead." In all cases this was a lie (I knew it and I assume they knew it) and was said in order to save face.

In short, a certain percentage of people camped outside will have campfires in any circumstance -- ban or no ban. The more people hiking in a section of fire-ban affected trail, the more campfires there will be. Sad but true. In that light, it makes a certain amount of sense to try to discourage folks from hiking in fire-prone conditions, even though casting a broad net like that ends up sending the same message to both the responsible and the reckless.
    Last edited by map man; 11-17-2016 at 19:42.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

No, the worst danger I've seen personally is when local yokals decide to go "camp" in AT shelters, bringing babies, lots of dogs, 4 wheelers, chain saws, and tons of smelly food. They make huge fires the whole time they are there, which usually is for days at a time. They sure are glad that the ATC makes these neat free camping huts for them...

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree I have lived in some fragile environments in Colorado springs. I have seen plenty of smokers pourly extinguish their embers both cigs and herbs. Its a pet peeve of mine I guess. Same goes for achl stoves people will still use them and any fire could get outta hand. Responsible or not.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post

social and ceremonial fires are important to indigenous peoples around the world yet I hardly think they'd qualify as newbs.
    The American backpacker is far removed from the act of squatting by a fire in Cro magnon mode as a primitive human relying on fire for survival. We carry stoves and tents and winter bags and pads and lighter and warmer clothing so we never have to rely on a fire if desired. Show me a guy using wood heat in a cabin or a yurt or a wall tent or a canvas tipi with a woodstove and I'd agree in the need for fire for winter survival. Otherwise for backpackers it's a frivolous past time, a sort of Davy Crockett wannabe fantasy.

Plus, what better time for such a conversation as now when the Southeast is on fire and there's a ban on . . . wait for it . . . campfires. Take it to heart and go further---Make it a good habit of never wanting a campfire.

It's about Desire vs Necessity. We want a fire. 99% of the time a fire is not necessary for survival, especially in the Southeast and on the Appalachian Trail.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++