WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Planning a Sept 2017 LT thru-hike

Anyone planning the same?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Not me, September is crazy at work, but that would be a great month for an end to end hike. Hope you enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I finished a SOBO end-to-end last September, finishing up on October 1st, perfect conditions, great time of year to do it!

The shelters up in the north end were a tad crowded, simply because I ran into a lot of folks finishing up their NOBO ETE's. Once I got past the first 100 miles or so, I saw way fewer folks at shelters. I screwed up and didn't buy the map, relying on the little ETE guide, which is fine for support logistics and such, but horrible for on-trail use. I did take a few pics of another hiker's map and simply used those pics along the way, but way better to actually have the map.

Everyone's $$$ budget is different, but I did stay every 4-5th night or so in a fantastic little B&B along the way, one in Stowe (forget it's name), the Mad River B&B (my favorite) and a couple others.

As everyone knows, tough terrain, I could only do about 13 MPD average up north, the south end being much easier though.

For some strange reason, this tough hike was very, very satisfying. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jackiehale72 View Post
    I am planning to thruhike the Long Trail in 2017 and chances are, most of the hike will occur in September.

My first backpack trip was a Long Trail section hike in 1977. In 1981, I completed section-hiking the Trail. I thru-hiked the trail in 2007 as a 30 year anniversary of my first hike, hence my interest in a 2017 hike to mark 40 years.

I don't have the specific details worked out yet, except that it will be NOBO continuous. My 2007 hike was an inside-out, hiking from Sherburne Pass to Canada NOBO and then Sherburne to Massachusetts SOBO.

Maybe I'll see you. BTW, I'm moving to VT by the end of the year, so I might be able to help with the logistics.

Many thanks for the responses!! I had originally planned a 2016 thru-hike, however the stars didn't line up for me this year. The good news? I'm completely available for September of 17. I'm also very flexible as far as dates go. So, yes! Just keep in touch & maybe we could work out a hike that intersects along the way.

I JUST finished writing up a trip report from my section hike this September, I had a blast! Check it out at https://rchrdknght.wordpress.com/201...he-long-trail/

Regarding the time of year, the only thing I missed was the foliage Late September and early October would probably be best for foliage.

Same here, I was initially thinking mid August but September seems like the way to go.

I did a SOBO E2E about4 years ago.Started the second week in september. About a week early for the foliage, but perfect hiking weather. Remember that the later you go, the less daylight hours.

What degree bag would you suggest if hiking Mid September/Mid October?

I will likely head up for another LT e2e NoBo hike next September. I've hiked Vermont in August and September before, and after this year decided never to do it in August again. Way too many college orientation groups in southern VT in late August, plus all the AT thru hikers. This year came on a couple AT/LT shelters in southern VT that were more or less 'reserved' for Yale orientation groups. AT/LT hikers were told in no uncertain terms we were not welcome in the shelters where Yale orientation groups had taken over the shelter. Not at all like the orientation groups I remember in past years, when they were not allowed to take over shelters. Fine, let the snowflakes have the shelters.

By September, the AT/LT in Vermont is much less crowded with AT thru hikers, both NoBo and SoBo.

I'd go with a 20 deg bag just in case, but I sleep cold. Sometimes it gets cold in dem mountains. I brought a 20 deg bag for an August hike and it was overkill, but required 1-2 nights for comfort.

Images

What degree bag would you suggest if hiking Mid September/Mid October?

I used a "21 degree" rated bag for my late September E2E, but the bag is more like mid-20's, did fine. I think a 30 deg rated bag would be a little thin.

I was thinking a 20 degree bag would do the trick. Thanks!

I am! Just started backpacking this year with a bunch of weekend stuff. I'm going to do the Laurel Highlands Hiking trail (about 6 days) sometime in the Spring, and if that goes well then I should be able to do the Long Trail. Let me know if you want to coordinate anything, I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner . I'll hopefully have 3-4 weeks of vacation saved up by next September.

Quote Originally Posted by theperson91 View Post
    I am! Just started backpacking this year with a bunch of weekend stuff. I'm going to do the Laurel Highlands Hiking trail (about 6 days) sometime in the Spring, and if that goes well then I should be able to do the Long Trail. Let me know if you want to coordinate anything, I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner . I'll hopefully have 3-4 weeks of vacation saved up by next September.
    That sounds good. I'm flexible on the dates during September, so just let me know if you have a game plan in mind. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by theperson91 View Post
    I hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail in "spring" although it was tantamount to winter. Very nice trail! Read about it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7356

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail in "spring" although it was tantamount to winter. Very nice trail! Read about it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7356
    Thanks for the link! It sounds like a great trail to bridge the gap between weekend hiking and longer hikes.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm planning a nobo E2E, and am considering a start date around Aug 28.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I will be hiking 29 July-15 Aug SOBO. I did the southern part below Killington last year. If you would like to start on that day we will hit the Canada end sometime on the 29th or 30th and try to get as close to Killington as we can get in a couple weeks. I will be hiking with 2 others and we are driving up from PA. Hope to catch up. I am on Facebook/ atsoggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning a mostly solo NOBO e2e in September (starting probably a week or so into the month). I'm hoping to catch at least the beginning of leaf-peeping season (photo ops!). I was instinctively planning to bring a 20F bag, which seems to be the consensus [thanks, folks!]. I'm hoping that a later start will help reduce the crowds of both mosquitoes and people!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++