WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I plan on beginning a NOBO E2E during the 2nd week of June.

Images

Planning SOBO E2E Sep 15-> early October... Hoping for a 12lb. base, reach out!
    -hourspermile

Quote Originally Posted by wvbackpacker View Post
    Planning SOBO E2E Sep 15-> early October... Hoping for a 12lb. base, reach out!
    -hourspermile
    Good luck with that. It gets mighty chilly in Vermont that time of year. Could even snow. Worse, the freezing rain. Not sure how you plan to survive that with a 12 pound base??? That sounds stupid light to me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good luck with that. It gets mighty chilly in Vermont that time of year. Could even snow. Worse, the freezing rain. Not sure how you plan to survive that with a 12 pound base??? That sounds stupid light to me.
    Don't worry about how people make their days, Slo-go'en... I've been a licensed backcountry guide/WFR/LNT certified with over 30 years experience on the trail... I don't travel 'stupid'; that base is with a 20°F bag, a real tent, cold weather gear, etc. It snows 10 months of the year in my backyard.

HYOY, and please refrain from making 'stupid' judgement... Someday that guy might be performing a patient assessment of you or your friend on the trail!

Always it boils down to a boot-size contest. Thank you, Internet.

I should be starting my SOBO hike on 9/9. This will be my 3rd major hike finishing the NE trail and the JMT. I can't wait!!! My gear is all set and the only thing I have left to do is order my food. My plan is to have my wife and son resupply me on the weekends. So it looks like I will have to Cary 7 days worth of food each one. Looks like I will be eating mountain house meals. If you are going NOBO we definitely should cross paths.

I am looking to hike it this September. Don't have the details set yet. Anyone out there still planning their hike?

I am! Will be starting August 12th. Just did a little shakedown hike this weekend and am now making some gear changes based on that. Going to start mock planning what I think I can hike per day based on the ruggedness of that stretch, just to get a better handle on the time it'll take and when I may be at each resupply.

I am doing a NOBO hike of Vermont AT section beginning at the MA-VT border on 9/9. So I'll be on the southern portion of the LT for more than a week.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

A friend and I are planning to start a SOBO on Sept 23rd, headed to Maine Junction to finish off the LT from what we completed on the A.T. thru-hike. The only thing left to plan is how to get from St. Albans or Burlington to the northern terminus.

I'm going SOBO on September 3rd I think, whatever the Sunday is in Labor Day weekend. I have my husband doing two supply runs for me in the middle and I'll do two or three grocery stops, so carrying around 5-6 days of food at a time.

There's no at-large camping on the northern part of the trail, right? I think I finally worked the numbers on how to average 10 miles a day in the north with the shelter spacing, but it'd be great to have flexibility during the first few days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lumba View Post

There's no at-large camping on the northern part of the trail, right? I think I finally worked the numbers on how to average 10 miles a day in the north with the shelter spacing, but it'd be great to have flexibility during the first few days.
    Right you mostly can't just plop down anywhere -- and even if you could, there's almost no place to set up a tent anyway. Pretty steep and rocky. We did a couple of longer days and a couple of shorter days north of Johnson (heading nobo), mostly based on terrain and weather. A few of the shelters had tenting space, but not all. We did get started pretty early every day to have enough time to get where we were going.

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
    A friend and I are planning to start a SOBO on Sept 23rd, headed to Maine Junction to finish off the LT from what we completed on the A.T. thru-hike. The only thing left to plan is how to get from St. Albans or Burlington to the northern terminus.
    call Wendy at Jay Way Jitney.
    Although she might not shuttle once the leaf seasons starts, that keeps busy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Right you mostly can't just plop down anywhere -- and even if you could, there's almost no place to set up a tent anyway. Pretty steep and rocky. We did a couple of longer days and a couple of shorter days north of Johnson (heading nobo), mostly based on terrain and weather. A few of the shelters had tenting space, but not all. We did get started pretty early every day to have enough time to get where we were going.

Have a great hike.
    Check the guidebook. Each section is different. There is a lot or private property in the north, but land purchases have been on-going for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I am planning to thruhike the Long Trail in 2017 and chances are, most of the hike will occur in September.

I thru-hiked the trail in 2007[/URL] as a 30 year anniversary of my first hike, hence my interest in a 2017 hike to mark 40 years.
    Cooker - I enjoyed meeting you when we were both doing the LT in '07. Have your plans firmed for this year? If you're NOBO in August, perhaps our paths will cross again.

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    Cooker - I enjoyed meeting you when we were both doing the LT in '07. Have your plans firmed for this year? If you're NOBO in August, perhaps our paths will cross again.
    Good to hear from you, PedXing. I remember our times together over that 2-3 day period.

I still intend to do a thru-hike or end-to-end LT hike this year...however that's defined. Because of events going on, it will not be a continuous thru-hike; there will be lots of zero days when I have something else to do. And it won't necessarily be "in order." I live in Rutland now and have been doing uphill hikes to get in aerobic shape. Most of them have been non-AT/LT hikes but for those on the LT - Upper Cold River Rd. to Brandon Gap, I've decided that they'll "count" towards my end-to-end hike.

Once my girlfriend moves here full-time, she'll shuttle me for slackpacks and short i.e. 1-2 night hikes and meet me at road crossings. I still expect to finish the whole LT by October 31. I guess that's a thruhike.

I've just set up a trail journal but nothing's in it yet. There should be some postings by tomorrow, but Leif hasn't set up the link yet.
    www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerLT17

I'll look for you!
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 08-01-2017 at 14:41.

Cookerhiker,

I'll be headed out Saturday or Sunday this weekend. I've done between 17 to 22 days in the past and once again need to be back home after 3 weeks. I'm pretty obsessive about checking in the shelter and GMC logs, so I'm fairly easy to track. I'll keep an eye out for you and your name in the logs.

Congratulations on moving to Vermont. I've come to love the State more and more. It's great that you have a gf willing and able to shuttle you and I suppose you'll be doing some of your hiking during peak folliage.

I hope I'm in shape now - I did two Vermont backpacks on the previous two weekends with a fairly heavy pack.

David

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    Cookerhiker,

I'll be headed out Saturday or Sunday this weekend. I've done between 17 to 22 days in the past and once again need to be back home after 3 weeks. I'm pretty obsessive about checking in the shelter and GMC logs, so I'm fairly easy to track. I'll keep an eye out for you and your name in the logs.

Congratulations on moving to Vermont. I've come to love the State more and more. It's great that you have a gf willing and able to shuttle you and I suppose you'll be doing some of your hiking during peak folliage.

I hope I'm in shape now - I did two Vermont backpacks on the previous two weekends with a fairly heavy pack.

David
    I've done a fair amount of day hiking involving steep uphills - 1,400-2,500' - but they've all been day hikes with not a lot of mileage. Last weekend, I did my first full backpack hike - Brandon Gap southbound to Sherburne Pass. First day 7 miles, second was 13. Although this is far from the hardest section of the LT, the full pack made a difference - I was pretty tired. But I made it.

I camped at David Logan Shelter but didn't sign the log.

When you're near Rutland and if you need any help, call or text me at 802-345-3773. Can't guarantee my availability but if I can help, I will.

FYI my girlfriend is in the process of selling her house and moving, hence my "flexible" schedule. She's from western NY south of Rochester. Also, we're hosting some of our hiker friends from there for 3 days of hiking in mid-September, so I'll be off the trail then.

Thanks!

I pretty much always take advantage of the LT Inn's hiker discount and send food ahead to be picked up there. I will contact you if in need, or if not, perhaps to invite you to come have a beer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++