WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Start date set!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Start date set!

Bought my ticket to Denver next year... Flying out of Asheville on July 20th, starting the trail on July 22.

Images

Enjoy our incredible state! My wife and I will be on the trail a bunch this next summer, trying to finish it up as big sections, maybe we'll cross paths.

When it gets close, holler, sometimes I am home on weekends and could give you a ride to the trailhead (10 minutes from my house). Rather unlikely I'll be home, but possible. The alternative is a Uber/Cab ride from the Littleton Mineral Park and Ride (which you can get to on Lightrail from Denver airport via downtown). If you need fuel, you can walk to our Flagship REI store (15 minute walk) from Union Station, half way along your lightrail ride from the airport (you'll only need one lightrail ticket as long as you don't dawdle too long, there is an expiration time for that day you buy your ticket).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Thank you! I'll start planning logistics this spring.

You could do what I did, spend the first night at the Chatfield State Park and walk to the trail head the next day. I'm not sure how far it was from the campground to the trial head, I'm guessing about 6 miles, plus another 8 to the first campsite on the CT.

Another option is to go the other way for that first leg. Take the bus from Denver to Frisco ($12), then the free bus to Breckenridge or Leadville, then hike back to Denver. Hitch back to Denver from the trail head and go back to where you started to continue. The only problem with this plan is your starting at 11,000 feet right off, but I don't think starting at the Denver end helped me much with acclimation.

If I ever go back, I'll go to Leadville first and hang out there for a week to get acclimated before hitting the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That is right around the time I am planning to start too. Since I am only a few hours driving away from the TH I won't be picking a start date until I know my parents' schedule (for dog sitting). Hope to see you on the trail.

Good luck, Tom! You'll have a blast - it's a great time of year to hike. Make sure you're prepared for rain and study up on the water sources which will depend on the winter and spring precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    ...If I ever go back, I'll go to Leadville first and hang out there for a week to get acclimated before hitting the trail.
    I have thought the very same thing. Good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Good luck, Tom! You'll have a blast - it's a great time of year to hike. Make sure you're prepared for rain and study up on the water sources which will depend on the winter and spring precipitation.

I have thought the very same thing. Good suggestion!
    Funny how altitude effects some but not others......I would think starting in Denver would allow for more than enough time to get used to elevation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Funny how altitude effects some but not others......I would think starting in Denver would allow for more than enough time to get used to elevation....
    You're right, it does affect everyone differently. On my 2011 thruhike, I felt some discomfort on the first day, did fine on the second, and hit a wall big time on the third day despite barely reaching 7,000'. Day 4 was to be our first day over 10K' and I did fine; overnight between Days 3 and 4, my body adjusted.

10-K, congrats on getting your start date nailed down. I'm a little envious though, I still need to wait to put in for my vacation for next year. Maybe I'll see you on the trail next year.

I will be out that way next year as well--dong the collegiate peaks loop. If our times line up I will contact you and maybe we will cross paths. Good luck!!

++ New Posts ++