WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Some questions

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I don't live in the city! I hate the city. I am concerned because the bottom of the quilt is open of course. Won't the critters have an easy way in? I really should not be concerned with that?
    I love sleeping in shelters. And when the weather is 35F or above, i sleep with a quilt.

I've had exactly one mouse crawl through my hair. Now, I'll hear mice in the shelter, scampering around, but generally they don't come that close to these big, loud, moving animals.

My hair, on the other hand, is curly and looks like a rats nest, so I can forgive them the Intrusion. I did have a porcupine chew on my hair once too, but it was hanging off the edge of the shelter so...can't blame him there either.

I'm in the woods at least one weekend a month, usually more. 3 weeks in August, spring break, 10 days in January, 4th of July weekend, etc. Lots of time. If you would like to trawl through my blog posts for every mention of a mouse, you're welcome to: birthdaygirlhikes.com

So, all that said, in my experience, you don't really have to worry about mice or other critters crawling inside a quilt or sleeping bag in a shelter. They're much more interested in your pack or your food bag or your rain jacket with a wrapper left in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many of same preferences. Bear encounters are rare and you hang your food: the bears are attracted to tents where the food is. You can tent near other tents w/o being too close. I've done some long sections and I didn't encounter problems. PM me if you want to

Images

TSWisla, don't be worried about bears. I thru hiked the AT this year and the one bear incident I heard about was false. I heard it was a hiker who used Coconut Oil scented lotion and was drug out of his tent. That was a false rumor. Hang all your stuff every night, EVERYTHING. You will not have a problem. I camped by myself almost every night except for the Smokies which was by far the worst part of the trail for me. I did not like being forced to sleep in shelters. Smokers and drinkers and people only out for a couple days partying most of the night. PITA. I only stayed in a shelter 4 or 5 times the rest of the trail. You can camp near the shelters if it makes you more comfortable but still retaining your privacy and a feeling of security. I also use the Thermarest pad. It took a couple weeks to get used to it but I looked forward to it after that. I never heard about an attack on a person. It may have happened but I am not aware of any. As far as your quilt, I started and finished with a Montbell 11 degree bag and a Silk Liner. I used it as a quilt if my Silk Liner was not enough and as it got warmer and I am glad I kept the bag over Franconia and Washington. If you go alone, you will not be alone on the trail unless you want to be. I stealthed most of the time as I wanted the quiet. I usually hiked until almost dark so I could ensure I was camping alone. I enjoyed the AT so much I am going to do it again in 2017. I started March 7th this year and finished July 27th. I plan on starting on the same day in 2017. Happy Trails, Brightside

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBell View Post
    TSWisla, don't be worried about bears. I thru hiked the AT this year and the one bear incident I heard about was false. I heard it was a hiker who used Coconut Oil scented lotion and was drug out of his tent. That was a false rumor. Hang all your stuff every night, EVERYTHING. You will not have a problem.
    He said he didnt use the scented sunscreen, and it was unopened. Bear didnt drag him out of tent either.

But it was very real. He was bitten and repeatedly attacked thru tent. He made it to shelter when bear took a break. Rangers evacuated him next day. They killed sveral bears, DNA proved them all innocent.

http://wate.com/2016/05/27/appalachi...ker-describes-
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-23-2016 at 21:38.

Words of wisdom: "It's not for everybody".

I've done a lot of backpacking throughout Southeastern Ohio. The Buckeye Trail and all over the Wayne National Forrest.
    I've encountered bears and Bobcats throughout the years but they have never wanted anything to do with me.
    The only time I ever had a had "scary" encounter was when I woke up one night and a Bobcat was looking at me through the end of my tent.
    We looked at each other without move ngbfor about 2 minutes and he got bored and left. I didn't sleep much the rest of the night but I slept like a rock the next 4 days I was out.
    You are going to come across wild animals while on the AT or any other trail. Your heightened fears will do nothing but keep you constantly worried and ultimately ruin your hiking experience.
    Most encounters are harmless.
    Hike on!!

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I have tried some section hikes with a partner and I have come to a crossroad. I am either going to go alone or I am done with backpacking the AT. I am ready to head out alone, but even after 4 year and 4 section hikes, I still have some reservations. I am still concerned with bears. I have read at least 1 article from this year alone describing a hiker being pulled from his tent by a bear. This leads me to want to camp near other hikers, but I despise the though of the vermin found in shelters crawling over me all night long. I realize that out of 1000s of hikers, one or two may be attacked, but it bothers me. Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Another issue that I am having is that I can't get comfortable on my pad at night. I have a Thermarest Neo Xlite pad and I use 2 small pillows. I use a quilt from Enlightened. What am I doing wrong? I simply can't seem to get any sleep at night.

Any ideas or words of wisdom?
    the guy who was involved in the bear attack slept with food in his tent!!!!! Shelters. I've heard mice but never ever seen one. If your not going to hike because of these two issues it's time for a new hobby. The trail is still safer than any town.

Thank you for the replies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++