WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    If you ordered a Duplex without the flex option, you can send it back and have it added on. But I agree with cmoulder, extra weight and cost for no real benefit.
    Actually any Duplex made after mid November 2015 have the Flex attachments already included so there is no need to send it back. Anything made prior to that date can be retrofitted.

Journal Entries
    Images

I read over A few of the replies and here is my .02
    I own the hexamid solo plus tarp and honestly I feel it has more than enough room for myself and my gear ,and could actually put another person in there if need be.
    I had more than enough room for me and my dog (60 pound bulldog) and we both had room to spare.
    Now the reason I went with the hexamid was for the tarp only option that at the time I do not think the duplex was available as A tarp only tent.
    I also went with the hexamid for the single pole set up as opposed to using two poles to set it up.
    I found myself familiar with the diamond style set up tarps as I have used similar in the past so I knew setting it up would not be A learning curve so to say.
    I do like the looks of the duplex and it seems to have lots of room for one person,but to me my hexamid is perfect for myself.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Images

We have a Hexamid Twin and now a Triplex. The Hex Twin can hold two people -- barely -- but it's really a great solo tent. The Triplex makes a terrific two-person tent, comparable interior volume to our Lunar Duo but more than a pound lighter.

I think you'll like the Duplex for solo use.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

we will be ordering the triplex for the two of us. this way we can both have 25" wide sleeping mats and a little spare room. The weight difference is so slight it is totally worth it in our opinion. I would likely buy the duplex instead of a solo tent for myself if I didn't already have a solo tent.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    If you ordered a Duplex without the flex option, you can send it back and have it added on. But I agree with cmoulder, extra weight and cost for no real benefit.
    No need to send back to retrofit if your tent is newer than Fall 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images

Too late for the OP, but I have plenty of room in my Hexamid Solo Plus for me and my gear. I like that I can use the removable ground sheet for sleeping under the stars or under my pad in a shelter. Another plus for the Plus (pun intended) is that it uses only one trekking pole. I've managed to break trekking poles in the past but never lost the use of two.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I'd go with the duplex as a single person tent. I got the triplex for my gf and I, since we hike mostly together. Like PennyPincher, we got 25" mats so we needed something that could accommodate that.

I have the Hexamid solo plus and can easily pull all my gear inside with me with plenty of room to spare, netting is going strong still. The double entry and the views out both sided of the duplex looks nice but I really like the ease of a single pole set up. I am just guessing from pics I have seen of the duplex but it appears as if the hexamid pitches a little tighter than the duplex?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    I have the Hexamid solo plus and can easily pull all my gear inside with me with plenty of room to spare, netting is going strong still. The double entry and the views out both sided of the duplex looks nice but I really like the ease of a single pole set up.
    To further illustrate the large size of the Solo-plus, by the way, I just "discovered" that the Solo-plus has the same floor footprint as the old Hexamid twin (not the current duo, which replaced the twin). I was shopping for a cuben bathtub floor for my solo-plus, as my wife and I plan on using our solo-plus on a PCT attempt (yes, both sleeping in a "solo" tent).

Here is an excerpt from the zpacks site for bathtub floors:

"Twin - 4.6 oz (130g) / $120
    This size will fit both our Hexamid Solo-Plus and Hexamid Twin. ***Both of those tents have the exact same footprint size*** and this sheet will fit both of them"
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 11-28-2016 at 14:53.

2 issues with that are headroom for occupant #2 and ventilation, which is probably not a big deal if you pitch it a bit higher.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    2 issues with that are headroom for occupant #2 and ventilation, which is probably not a big deal if you pitch it a bit higher.
    Not sure what you mean by ventilation being an issue, the solo+ is ventilated all around just like all the other zpacks tents I've seen. But yes, the headroom for the 2nd occupant will be tight, but I've been experimenting with raising one corner with a forked stick, kinda works well in "testing", we'll see how it does in real life.

The 2nd-occupant headroom thing is apparently the primary difference between the solo+ and the (old) twin, the twin has the second pole and different shape top, giving that 2nd person nearly the same headroom as the first.

I have always managed a super-tight pitch with my Duplex

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I have always managed a super-tight pitch with my Duplex
    I figured, Joe makes great stuff that works; just seems that most of the pics I see posted of the twin pole zpacks do not look as taught.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder
    I could see the headroom might be a little tight for two, my wife and and I fit just fine I'm 5'10 wife is 5'5 both smaller framed though.

My wife and I fit comfortably everything into our duplex and kick the shoes off outside. Plenty of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    The 2nd-occupant headroom thing is apparently the primary difference between the solo+ and the (old) twin, the twin has the second pole and different shape top, giving that 2nd person nearly the same headroom as the first.
    We have a Hex Twin, and the sleeping area at the back of the tent has about half or maybe two thirds the headroom of the front area. It's not close. The roof slopes significantly to the rear wall. My partner was ok there, but she's a lot smaller than I am -- and it wasn't ideal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++