WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The LT is the Readers Digest version of the AT. All of the hard and none of the easy
    The southern half or third of the LT is easy and kinda boring, IMO. Between Manchester and Williamstown, views are scarce, and it's a long green tunnel. In fact if it weren't for the fire towers on Stratton and Glastonbury, there'd be no views at all.

I think some planning definitely helps. Ive learned sime key lessons without learning the hard way.

If i bought my gear today my big 3 will be about 3lbs each.
    Im getting used to non cotton clothes.
    I know not to start with more food and water than i need.

I know more about taking care of my feet.
    I know not to ignore hot spots.

I learned much more but I will stop here.

You've got enough time to hike half the trail. Enough time to get your gear and yourself dialed in perfectly.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The LT is the Readers Digest version of the AT. All of the hard and none of the easy ....
    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    My remark was in ref to Jan Liteshoe, who did the LT in '02 to see if she might enjoy an AT thru hike. Which she did, the following year. Wrote a journal of her LT journey, "The Ordinary Adventurer." A good read.

My personal experience is that the northern half of the LT makes the AT in the White Mountains feel like a walk in the park. In any case, you begin to appreciate the incredible effort it takes to maintain a trail through dense eastern forest -- and what the trail looks like when there's just not enough volunteers to go around.
    Yeah, agree with all, I was just making a point about the difficulty, yet complete satisfaction of hiking the LT.

I just can't emphasize enough how much fun the advance planning of these hikes is, but sure, of more actual importance (vs. fun) is the actual pre-AT hiking and backpacking "training".

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I heard about thru hiking the AT about 25 years ago. Ever since then it's been on my mind, then coming closer to retirement, became a reality. Started "really" planning about a year out. I made it just past Roanoke about 750 miles in before I decided to throw in the towel. That another story though. But still planning on another attempt next year so we'll see if life works out that way and I can have another go at it. Good luck and it never hurts to plan and be prepared, no matter how long it takes. Do a lot of shake down hikes in the meantime for gear and yourself.
    Just go back to where you paused last time and complete the rest. Nothing wrong with doing it in sections.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    Im a big fan of planning. The seed to hike the AT planted 15 years ago...then marriage, kids and a professional job.......

Now I'm looking at 2019 or 2020 myself. I have however, been buying gear as I'm leaving next spring. The up side is that I will have enough time to completely figure my gear and system before I show up at Springer looking like a fool.

Awesome.
    It'll either be 2019 or 2020.

I hope to see you out there!

I am with you on this thinking and trying to plan things through . My goal is to get my gear together and figure out what will and won't work for me. I planning on some weekend trips on local trails and also joined a hiking club to get more information of experienced hikers who have done sectional hikes and overnights etc .... Once I pay off my car and get that money saved I am outa here and hitting the trail! but taking my time to make sure I am fully prepared so I can and will make it through the full Georgia to Maine I think I will only have one chance to do this so want to make sure i do it right and prepared. I should be worried about the life after the hike, but part of my hike it also to figure out what I want to do after so planning that to soon not helpful for me.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The southern half or third of the LT is easy and kinda boring, IMO. Between Manchester and Williamstown, views are scarce, and it's a long green tunnel. In fact if it weren't for the fire towers on Stratton and Glastonbury, there'd be no views at all.
    If you can accept that there's more to hiking than views, there's plenty of interesting things. If views are your thing, long distance hiking in the east is a strange way to go about finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    If you can accept that there's more to hiking than views, there's plenty of interesting things. If views are your thing, long distance hiking in the east is a strange way to go about finding them.
    Agreed. By itself view-seeking isn't a sufficient basis for LD hiking. The east just happens to be where I live.

The AT is often referred to as the green tunnel. Even more true for the LT! I actually felt claustrophobic in some of Vermont's woods, to an extent that I don't recall anywhere on the AT. I mean, hour after hour of walking with not a single view outward.

You'll find this board is pretty evenly divided between daydreamers and hikers. Never too early to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    You'll find this board is pretty evenly divided between daydreamers and hikers ...
    Who says we can't be both?

I daydream while I hike. I've learned to multitask.

Most of the falls I've taken where when I was daydreaming. Just sayin'

Is that being "in the moment" or the opposite?

There are times on the trail when I lose track of time... find myself at a milestone or destination well beyond where I expected to be and wonder, "just where did those last couple hours go, anyway"? As if I'd been asleep or dreaming for the last few miles.

Oops, I meant to respond to jeff_in_MD, on that last post...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++