WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for hiking partner SOBO 2017

Hello! I am Anna (from Germany) and I am looking for a hiking partner for next year. I want to go SOBO, and start around mid June or first days of July. I know, sometimes it is perhaps not able to walk the whole time together, because one is perhaps faster walking than the other, etc. But I think, especially when going SOBO it is much better for the heavy beginning to start together.
    I think I am a person easy to handle (sorry for my english ;-) ), most of the time I am happy and in a good mood, and I am looking forward to find a nice walking partner here!! ;-)
    I have only some experiences in hiking such a long distance - this year I walked in Spain for nearly two months... - but I think the Appalachian Trail will be much harder of course. I hope to walk from the third week on (I think the first 2 weeks will be the hardest) perhaps around 19 miles a day... - of course I don`t know if it is really possible there with the mountains...
    Looking forward to your answers!
    Anna

Well me and one of my good friends (both male) will be starting early June heading sobo as well.We will be only shooting for 10-15 miles a day so you will more than likely pass us. If you decide you want to hike with us you are more than welcome to. we will be taking our time enjoying the wilderness. I do speak a little german though i am quite rusty since i have have not had to use it in years. We both grew up in the boy scouts and are light hearted.

I just had to switch my plans of a nobo hike to a sobo hike due to a unforeseen circumstance. From my readings Maine is the hardest state on the AT with the 100 mile wilderness, the white mountains. Im also hiking solo and would love to have a partner set for when i start. Not that im worried about being alone however its always good to have a second opinion on things and a helping hand if it's needed. I purchased a delorme inreach satellite messenger just to be safe and so if the time arises and i need serious help i can get it. I can say right now there is no way ill make 19 miles a day my goal is 10-15 a day when first starting. but you have to listen to your body and no amount of gym training and day hikes can prepare you for elevation and carrying a loaded pack for 8+ hours every day.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhuts View Post
    I hope to walk from the third week on (I think the first 2 weeks will be the hardest) perhaps around 19 miles a day... - of course I don`t know if it is really possible there with the mountains...
    Looking forward to your answers!
    Anna
    You'll probably find that 10-15 is more where you'll be at for maine & new hampshire. Some sections 10 is still a long day because of terrain difficulty. But you'll find some sections later on where consistent 20 mpd is doable if you desire

Hello Anna,

I am also a female looking for a hiking partner. In fact, me being able to hike the AT SOBO is contingent upon that. My family is not comfortable with me hiking it alone. If i can find a partner I think they would allow me to go. Are you still planning on hiking it SOBO in June and still looking for a partner?

Quote Originally Posted by KTontheAT View Post
    Hello Anna,

I am also a female looking for a hiking partner. In fact, me being able to hike the AT SOBO is contingent upon that. My family is not comfortable with me hiking it alone. If i can find a partner I think they would allow me to go. Are you still planning on hiking it SOBO in June and still looking for a partner?
    Try sending her a Private Message. That may trigger an email to her that she has a message...

The Sobo 2017 Facebook page just broke 200 members - might be the place to find others starting when you are.

Appalachian Trail SOBO 2017.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hi SOBO, I'm also hoping for team mates to get thur the thur hike. But i don't think i can hang with the younger folks I will be happy to make it alive, God willing. Good Luck Leo. hoping to leave sometime in June.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLeo View Post
    Hi SOBO, I'm also hoping for team mates to get thur the thur hike. But i don't think i can hang with the younger folks I will be happy to make it alive, God willing. Good Luck Leo. hoping to leave sometime in June.
    I'll be leaving Baxter state park on July 2, Sobo. Hoping to summit Katahdin on June 30.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Swiss guy here. I start on the first June. I have no problem walking alone, but together its also funny. If you encounter a guy with a swiss flag on his backpack. jup, thats me. Feel free have a chat or a hike with me. I speak german (swiss also), spanish, french and english.
    Nearly forgot. im SoBo

++ New Posts ++