WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    AT 2012

...you guys/those guys made an early winter end to end more attractive as a goal, not less. thanks for that.
    Lazarus

That was a serious challenge you took upon yourselves. You done good. Welcome back to the dark side.

I'm not surprised from what you wrote about the hike through the Nor'easter. That took a toll. In retrospect, I'm sure you can see that if you had waited out the storm at the inn you might still be out there. Heading out into the storm wasn't the best move and it's a testament that you survived.

Even though the goal was not meet, still one heck of an effort.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

They got off the Long Trail Alive and well . Better smart & alive

mad props to both of you! Onwards and upwards
    "Either that kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea!"

Always another time and you have two weeks more experience than you did before. You can adjust your goals and expectations and give it another try. Good decision to bail before you took any more unnecessary risks with your health and life. Its a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm lovin' it! Nearly 100 miles in, 9 days, doing OK it seems. Keep pluggin' along! Thanks for the cool blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    Thanks for virtually taking me along. I've gone up and down the trail numerous times and your journey brings back memories. Looking forward to the next update.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...you guys/those guys made an early winter end to end more attractive as a goal, not less. thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    That was a serious challenge you took upon yourselves. You done good. Welcome back to the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefoot33 View Post
    mad props to both of you! Onwards and upwards
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    They got off the Long Trail Alive and well . Better smart & alive
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Always another time and you have two weeks more experience than you did before. You can adjust your goals and expectations and give it another try. Good decision to bail before you took any more unnecessary risks with your health and life. Its a good decision.

Immense thank you to all of you for the support and encouragement. It was fun, it was a challenge, and it's a shame that it's over so early. If I was able to have it my way, we'd still be hiking. I'm immensely disappointed that we had to get off the trail, and rather frustrated with the situation. BUT! It will always be there and I will most certainly return to finish it.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm not surprised from what you wrote about the hike through the Nor'easter. That took a toll. In retrospect, I'm sure you can see that if you had waited out the storm at the inn you might still be out there. Heading out into the storm wasn't the best move and it's a testament that you survived.

Even though the goal was not meet, still one heck of an effort.
    Thanks for the recognition of the effort.

I wanted to reply to you individually to note that the storm had absolutely nothing to do with us getting off the trail. We were completely comfortable hiking into that storm from Killington, and although the darkness threw us a curve ball with the trail, we had 100% of the gear, generic wisdom, and hiking knowledge to wait it out in the tent. That single-wall structure paid for itself in that one night of use.

We got off the trail because my hiking partner had personal things going on that were a driving force in his mental frustration and desire to get off the trail and get home, on top of the mileage we were looking to attain. I would be out there right now in a shelter instead of my own bed if I could... home is not where I want to be. He planned on having the conversation about getting of the trail with me regardless of whether we were in that storm or in a shelter or in a sunflower field on a beautiful summer day.

I appreciate your recognition of our effort. I for one will be back out there finishing the trail within the next year. My hands were tied in this situation.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Texaco View Post
    Immense thank you to all of you for the support and encouragement. It was fun, it was a challenge, and it's a shame that it's over so early. If I was able to have it my way, we'd still be hiking. I'm immensely disappointed that we had to get off the trail, and rather frustrated with the situation. BUT! It will always be there and I will most certainly return to finish it.
    I followed your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having done an e2e hike in July, and done a fair amount of winter hiking here in NC and VA, I cannot imagine combining the two Props to you both, and I hope you're able to get back to it someday.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Great trip, great blog, great decision.

In the mountains during winter, the hikes you complete speak to your ability, preparation and determination. The ones you choose not to complete speak to your judgment.

I've heard too many stories about physically capable and well-equipped hikers who persevered too long on winter trips. The ability to turn around, or not go past the trail head is as important as the ability to move ahead.

You do realize that -30 F is not unknown in the Killington region, right? Not common, but like dying on the LT, it happens. -15 to -20 F is not uncommon. Just east of Bennington are some rocky hills that would be inviting a broken leg if you cannot see the crevices when there is snow. If there is not snow, ice on the rocks is likely.
    This hike is not challenging...it is,,, something rather more.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++