WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking near around Dick's Creek Gap ?

Is there a safe spot to park a car for about a week around Dick's Creek Gap? The data book I have is an older version (will get a new one before hitting the trail) and according to it, there's lodging 3.5 miles west of the trail. Is that still current? If so do they allow hikers to leave a car in their parking lot if you stay there one night? Is there anything else around these parts? Small village maybe? I also see that Hiawassee is 11 miles away. Would it be safer to leave my car in that area?

I realize that a car parked for an extended period of time can become a target and that no matter where it's parked it remains the responsibility of the owner of the car, not the owner of the parking lot and that it can never be 100% safe but I'd be willing to leave my car in an area that has a good reputation.

My plan is to leave my car, shuttle to Springer Mountain and hike to the North Carolina Border. Having my car in the Dick's Creek Gap area would simplify things once I'm done. Just hop in the car and go home... to Canada.

I'm still exploring the possibilities. I want to start section hiking the AT in 2017 and it seems logical to start at Springer and make my way up towards Katahdin as I go along, making each trip a little closer to home but that's not a definite plan yet. I'm still debating.

There is a parking lot at Dicks Creek Gap. I would say it is safe to park there for a week.

Top of Georgia Hostel is half a mile west. I believe they charge to park a limited number of cars. They also shuttle.

Thanks for the info. I'll look them up. I don't mind paying for peace of mind... if the price is reasonable.

I parked there last year for 12 days no problem, got a ride to springer then walked to the state line and back to the cars.
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

Yeah, it will probably be safe. Left my car there for up to four days. However, I'm the type of person who worries a lot. Anything longer than about four days during non-peak hiking times, I'd find a more secure location to leave my vehicle.

El Sordo
    Images

the Blueberry Patch was about 3.5 miles. It closed a couple of years ago. Dicks Creek Gap is the county line between Rabun and Towns county so is the turn around point for deputies from each county. You can also park at the Budget Inn in Hiawassee for a small fee or perhaps free if you stay overnight.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    the Blueberry Patch was about 3.5 miles. It closed a couple of years ago. Dicks Creek Gap is the county line between Rabun and Towns county so is the turn around point for deputies from each county. You can also park at the Budget Inn in Hiawassee for a small fee or perhaps free if you stay overnight.
    Thanks for the tip generoll!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Thanks for the pic! I like seeing that the parking lot is visible from the road.

I left my car there for 8 days this past September. Besides the typical advise (locks, no visible valuables, etc) I would recommend getting there fairly early. The lot is small and if it is a popular hiking day/time the lot can fill up. I'm sure this is very seasonal, but you don't want to get there and find no available spaces.
    JC

++ New Posts ++