Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 256
  1. #141

    Default

    OOOOPPPPSIE! New at this cutting and pasting stuff. Cool right? CHECK IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post

  2. #142

    Default

    Now see, I just can't understand how poles might be at all useful! Throw em out - better yet sell em on WB - clearly as useless as a painting of dogs playing poker on velvet!


    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Good enough for Flyin' Brian, good enough for me.

    Attachment 37218

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    Notice the photo accompanying item 8. The hiker is not using poles. I don't think poles are useful in steep terrain where you really need, or maybe ought to be using your hands for safety or stability. Of late I've been resorting to a single-pole technique in such terrain. Still leaves one hand free.

    Approaching the final climb up Dragon's Tooth, southbound, I knew right away it was time to stash the poles. Even if just for the last fifty feet of vertical. I want both hands on that cliff.

    I tend to stash 'em when I'm about to ascend a long ladder. On descent, sometimes I just throw them down the trail. They're just tools. They do have limits.

  4. #144

    Default

    For the final ascent of the tooth (NOBO) I used a pneumatic hand cannon to fire a tungsten carbide grappling hook to the peak. This was incredibly effective as we were able to fire a second shot into Joe Mitchell's barn and zip lined down into Four Pines. Our poles luckily had straps which were designed specially to quick release upon impact. (We went back and made up those miles in a slack pack the next morning.)

  5. #145

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    What do the following pics grabbed from google have in common?

    Besides that they are all recent AT speed record holders that is....




    19ULTRA2-master675.jpg

    images (2).jpg

    images (1).jpg

    images.jpg

    Lets throw in Andrew Bentz, current JMT record holder too....

    andrew-bentz-2.jpg

    Lets not leave out pepper and trauma of winter pct fame....

    p1010330-1024x682-400x400.jpg

    Or josh garrett

    images (3).jpg

    Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-30-2016 at 00:04.

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    Attachment 37217 Meet Mt. Whitney. The highest peak in the lower 48. It is the jewel of the Sierras and the PCT. (Yup, did that. Twice. Both ways.) Believe it or not, the "hiker police" actually do patrol here. They're called back country rangers. Their job is to prevent the ignorant from dying on the mountain. Really, they don't want boobies to be responsible for killing folks who have a little something on the ball. They do this primarily by spot checking folks to ensure they have the requisite equipment for the ascent of 14,505 ft. where altitude sickness and it's debilitating effects are pretty much a given. (Look it up.) If they catch you without your poles, ice axes, spikes, and crampons, or they think you're a nit-wit who is just pretending to know what's up, they escort you off the mountain. Because when you go to the backcountry unprepared you
    Sorry, but this absolute BS. There are no "requirements" for gear for any ascent of Mt. Whitney, at any time of year. I don't know where you get this information. There are only three requirements. First, you need a permit. Second, you must pack out your waste. Third, you must use a bear canister when required.

    First off, you can hike up Whitney. Its not a climb. It is not technical. There may not be any ice or snow on the ascent. The NPS doesn't even list poles as suggested gear, anytime. So, that's how I know this is BS. That and the fact that I know and ski with Mountain Rangers. All they can do is SUGGEST that you abort your attempt. They have NO authority to detain you or prevent your ascent, so long as you have the proper permit. People speed race up Whitney in freaking tennis shoes! People show up at Rainier every freaking year with visqueen tarps and tennis shoes....its "TheAmericanWay"....

    If I am wrong, please prove me so. Here's some links to peruse:

    https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm
    http://www.recreation.gov/wilderness...O&parkId=72201
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5333235.pdf

  7. #147
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Fact...I'll never buy another twist lock pole.
    Fact: I bought two pair of twist lock poles and one pair of folding / flip lock poles. All three work as required.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Timely article, mentioning trekking poles and the AT, in today's Wall Street Journal...

    http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-end-of-cool-1480302480

  9. #149

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Fact: I bought two pair of twist lock poles and one pair of folding / flip lock poles. All three work as required.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My twisty adjusty thingys havent let me down yet neither
    And weigh less than them flippy things.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    What do the following pics grabbed from google have in common?

    Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?
    They all are pics of people that could care less about whether I use trekking poles or not, have likely hiked more miles than 99% of the posters on WB in the last yr, and aren't preoccupied with feeling the need to take sides on using trekking poles in this forum.

    They all are folks that don't allow themselves to get into circle jerk debates because the'd rather be out hiking going with their flow doing their thing.

    They are people that consider their options and make choices that best reflect their approaches and needs.

  11. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Timely article, mentioning trekking poles and the AT, in today's Wall Street Journal...

    http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-end-of-cool-1480302480
    Wow, I didn't think this thread could get any better, but timely doesn't even cut it, the comments section is always fun.

  12. #152

    Default

    Well OK Captain America I stand corrected. There are in fact apparently no gear requirements - they are indeed recommendations. When I was there in '14' waiting for the permit lottery, buying a bear canister etc., we waited intentionally so as not to have to fool with crampons. I was under the distinct impression they too would be a requirement. I should have found three referenceable sources to cite when I made this assertion. I will now no doubt suffer the ignominious fate of Steven Ambrose. I never suggested it was a technical climb - ascent means go up. As for the rangers having no authority, ahhhhh OK. That smells like bovine scatire to me, so we'll have our research team look into it. Quick question: when were you there? I hear you talking about Whitney and Rainier and the "maybe no ice or snow", and what folks do there, but ever been there skiing with your ranger pals? Are these are academic assertions about places you, what? Looked up on line? Cool. Virtual mountaineering is getting to be a real popular pastime. Well sport, you got me - poles optional on Whitney. Rangers can only make suggestions. (Giggles) I'm going in to the fridge and put a gold star on your chart.



    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Sorry, but this absolute BS. There are no "requirements" for gear for any ascent of Mt. Whitney, at any time of year. I don't know where you get this information. There are only three requirements. First, you need a permit. Second, you must pack out your waste. Third, you must use a bear canister when required.

    First off, you can hike up Whitney. Its not a climb. It is not technical. There may not be any ice or snow on the ascent. The NPS doesn't even list poles as suggested gear, anytime. So, that's how I know this is BS. That and the fact that I know and ski with Mountain Rangers. All they can do is SUGGEST that you abort your attempt. They have NO authority to detain you or prevent your ascent, so long as you have the proper permit. People speed race up Whitney in freaking tennis shoes! People show up at Rainier every freaking year with visqueen tarps and tennis shoes....its "TheAmericanWay"....

    If I am wrong, please prove me so. Here's some links to peruse:

    https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm
    http://www.recreation.gov/wilderness...O&parkId=72201
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5333235.pdf

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2015
    Location
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Cute tale of the woefully inept!
    That should be my trail name. "Woefully Inept" not "Cute Tale" although I might take it if it were spelled differently. At my age even the facade of a compliment is welcomed!
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 11-30-2016 at 00:37.

  14. #154

    Default

    [QUOTE=Dogwood;2108049]They all are pics of people that could care less about whether I use trekking poles or not, have likely hiked more miles than 99% of the posters on WB in the last yr, and aren't preoccupied with feeling the need to take sides on using trekking poles in this forum.

    HAAAA! Oh, God this cat is Awesome!!! Whooooo can you smell it!? Wait, is this self-aggrandizement completely contradictory? And you got it wrong! The answer is they all have great hair and fierce beards! No gold star for you!

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,771

    Default

    I sincerely hope this thread doesn't represent the quality of the posts and WB users. I honestly expected higher quality more substantial discussion here on WB.

  16. #156

    Default

    EN-AB542_BUSKIN_P_20161117160637.jpg Thank God this thread finally went someplace meaningful! After a decade of searching I'm reunited with my father, shown here at left demonstrating his devotion to trekking poles. He even uses one in the house. That's one hundred and one uses! I like you Dad!!!

  17. #157
    imscotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-13-2011
    Location
    North Reading, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,237
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    Attachment 37217 Meet Mt. Whitney. The highest peak in the lower 48. It is the jewel of the Sierras and the PCT. (Yup, did that. Twice. Both ways.) Believe it or not, the "hiker police" actually do patrol here. They're called back country rangers. Their job is to prevent the ignorant from dying on the mountain. Really, they don't want boobies to be responsible for killing folks who have a little something on the ball. They do this primarily by spot checking folks to ensure they have the requisite equipment for the ascent of 14,505 ft. where altitude sickness and it's debilitating effects are pretty much a given. (Look it up.) If they catch you without your poles, ice axes, spikes, and crampons, or they think you're a nit-wit who is just pretending to know what's up, they escort you off the mountain. Because when you go to the backcountry unprepared you
    PilgrimSkyWheel, I have no wish to get in a debate with you, but just in case there are some folks out there looking for information on a Whitney attempt I have to call BS on this statement too. ScareBear's post is the truth.

    I did a 2015 JMT thru-hike ending on Whitney and guess what, no one gave a crap that I did not use poles. The nice Rangers I met along the way did not give a crap that I had no poles, the other hikers did not give a crap that I had poles. The Rangers I met did want to verify that I had a permit and a bear canister.

    I will say that poles are very popular in the Sierras, so if you like to hike with poles you will fit right in. By all means, go for it. Personally, I preferred having my hands free to take a quick picture because almost every turn on that trail had a vista that I never wanted to forget. As a wise man once said, "It's Just Walking!

  18. #158

    Default

    Gold star! Yes I'm currently standing corrected on that one. I did indeed mistakenly assert poles were on the list of requirements for Whitney they are not. I'll be more careful in future. I have covered this a few posts ago when I first stood up, I am still standing, my legs are tired, and my "quality" as a person is seriously in question now as a result. Hopefully I have not been the source of a run on trekking poles, or confusion for would be climbers of Whitney. I am truly remorseful. Forgive me.

  19. #159

    Default

    Hey, like a wise man once said: "It's not that serious." We are actually having an engaging, enlightening, and entertaining dialogue here dude. We are ALL quality people here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I sincerely hope this thread doesn't represent the quality of the posts and WB users. I honestly expected higher quality more substantial discussion here on WB.

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    Well OK Captain America I stand corrected. There are in fact apparently no gear requirements - they are indeed recommendations. When I was there in '14' waiting for the permit lottery, buying a bear canister etc., we waited intentionally so as not to have to fool with crampons. I was under the distinct impression they too would be a requirement. I should have found three referenceable sources to cite when I made this assertion. I will now no doubt suffer the ignominious fate of Steven Ambrose. I never suggested it was a technical climb - ascent means go up. As for the rangers having no authority, ahhhhh OK. That smells like bovine scatire to me, so we'll have our research team look into it. Quick question: when were you there? I hear you talking about Whitney and Rainier and the "maybe no ice or snow", and what folks do there, but ever been there skiing with your ranger pals? Are these are academic assertions about places you, what? Looked up on line? Cool. Virtual mountaineering is getting to be a real popular pastime. Well sport, you got me - poles optional on Whitney. Rangers can only make suggestions. (Giggles) I'm going in to the fridge and put a gold star on your chart.
    So. Let's recap. You were wrong. You posted bullcrap as if it were the truth. Instead of being an adult and saying "Ooops, my bad. You are correct, sir.", you begin your reply with an ad hominem( Always the sign of a weak mind beginning a foolish attempt at deflection.). Then, you begin to compound your bullcrap with nonsensical deflection "I was under the distinct impression..." and then instead of explaining how you came to be "under the distinct impression", you denigrate my proof, as if the truth is something to be made fun of by saying that "I should have found three referenceable sources to cite when I made this assertion." No. You simply shouldn't have spewed bullcrap as if it were the Gospel. You should have just admitted your mistake and mea culpa'd and moved on. But you didn't. You doubled down...

    You then doubled down by attempting another childish attempt at deflection by calling into question my first-hand experience with Rainier and/or Whitney. What does that have to do with the truth? Answer? Nothing. Not one damn thing. Been up both though....Whitney is a freaking hike in the summer. No different than bagging any number of 14'ers in CO. No different.

    Then, you continue to poke fun at the truth with eye rolls like this
    "Well sport, you got me - poles optional on Whitney. Rangers can only make suggestions. (Giggles)". Yep. Mountain Rangers(no such thing as a "back country ranger") have no authority to stop your ascent because you are barefoot and pack-less. Ask one.


    So, instead of taking your lumps for posting outright falsehoods, you go after the person who called you on your BS.

    Childish. Foolish. Bombastic. Non-remoresful. Sarcastic. Untrustworthy. Are you running for elected office?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •