WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3375

Sorry, couldn't resist. (One more broken promise!) I'm standing by my position. If you do your homework and still think poles are useless and are not connected to safety as you hike then well, insert venomous barb here. Talk about spouting "false crap" try this on for size: "...if you wear your hiking poles with the straps on you risk far greater injury than if you didn't use poles at all." (Cue laugh track.) Why do they all have straps then? Hmmm? How about you drop 7 kilos from overall pack weight, and take 6-7 % fewer steps, and add about 1/4 mi. an hour in range? Aside from not breaking your keister, an experienced hiker will understand the direct relationship between these aforementioned factors and overall safety: LIGHTER, FASTER, STRONGER, LONGER.

[QUOTE=ScareBear;2109077]The problem with Pilgrim's argument(besides spouting false crap and invoking the name of a missing PCT hiker) is that he is trying to sell the belief that hiking/trekking poles are an essential piece of safety gear. That to hike without them is reckless/careless/foolish. That to hike without them means your aren't prepared properly for a foray into the wilderness

Yes, I know it recommends strap removal in the article if you think you'll have a dixie. I think this is poop too. Put on a winter weight pack, don poles with straps and lean as far forward as you can while holding your body in-line and hold. Next, try without straps. The straps are the breaks which prevent your wet, numb, hands from slipping off the handles and sliding violently and suddenly down the shafts. For a field test I suggest again trying to go up, or more significantly DOWN Roan Mountain in the rain this spring when and inch of wet icy leaves mat the trail. And yes, if asked I'd say the event will DEFINITELY be safer WITH poles. Because you won't end up dropping violently on your arse a half dozens times, which I can just about personally guarantee you will without poles. This and it won't take all day - you can stay with your pole-carrying counterparts. Will you die, disappear, or bring about the end times if you don't? No. But, you'll thank me if you do.

You cite an article to support your untenable position(the article doesn't come close to saying that poles are necessary safety equipment) and then you denigrate it when it agrees with my position on loops. Since a fall can happen at anytime, why would you wear the loops? It really isn't rocket science. The poles are a balance aid. They aren't a climbing aid in that you cannot put all your weight on one pole and expect it to survive. If you are putting substantial weight on the pole via the straps or not, you are not using them correctly. A good test of proper pole use is shown if you have poles with "shock absorbers" or "anti-shock" poles. If you are routinely engaging the mechanism to its stop limit, then you are using the poles incorrectly.

Look, Pilgrim, you are the dude who "was under the distinct impression" that crampons and poles were mandatory regulated gear to climb Mt. Whitney and that the Mountain Rangers wouldn't let you ascend without them. You spouted that crap to support your untenable position that poles are necessary/mandatory parts of your gear in the backcountry. I'm giving you a break about using them "mountaineering", as you are no mountaineer and everyone who is that read your idiocy is still laughing at you about that.

Poles can be necessary if the person has balance issues. They are an aid to those with knee issues. The are helpful in crossing streams. They can hold up your tent. I use them every time I hike the AT or snowshoe in the Rockies. But they aren't mandatory except for those who could not safely hike without them, due to physical limitation. Just give up your argument that to hike without them is dangerous, foolish or somehow leaves you unprepared in the wilderness, because its just not true.

Yes, I made a mistake. My present sense impression was crampons and other essential hiking gear - like poles because I find them critical - were a requirement when going up Whitney. Yes, shoulda, coulda, woulda fact checked that one if I thought I was going before a senate subcommittee hearing to testify. (See: "Mea culpa".) In so far as the definition of "mountaineering" is concerned we can argue semantics all day, however this point is trivial and not germane to question, or its answer. And, moving on... Here is my OPINION just so we're nice and sparkling clear: I think going hiking without poles is the height of stupidity. I'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. It's been charming, and I hope you never hike with poles.

"...you are no mountaineer and everyone who is that read your idiocy is still laughing at you about that." ScareBare

PS: Hey thanks man. All that from "Do I need trekking poles."? Wow. "Everyone is gonna laugh at you!" I haven't heard that since I spent recess dodging bullies on the play ground. Always entertaining - I think na-na na-na boo-boo is the appropriate response here. Thanks for clearing up what I'm not, and what you are - dude.

Images

ScareBear and anyone else who is interested. The Ignore list is your friend.

Click 'Settings' at the top, look for the 'Edit Ignore List' about 2/3 of the way down on your left. Click that and then add the name of any attention needy troll who has no real interest in an honest exchange of ideas. Makes for a more enjoyable experience on whiteblaze.

The way to kill an internet troll is to starve it of attention.
    Last edited by imscotty; 12-04-2016 at 15:37.

Thanks Scotty - finally some useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post

Click 'Settings' at the top, look for the 'Edit Ignore List' about 2/3 of the way down on your less. Click that and then add the name of any attention needy troll who has no real interest in an honest exchange of ideas. Makes for a more enjoyable experience on whiteblaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post

Click 'Settings' at the top, look for the 'Edit Ignore List' about 2/3 of the way down on your less. Click that and then add the name of any attention needy troll who has no real interest in an honest exchange of ideas. Makes for a more enjoyable experience on whiteblaze.

This is brilliant...and it works. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Yes! You are not allowed on the trails without them. This went into effect 12/01/16.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    Yes! You are not allowed on the trails without them. This went into effect 12/01/16.
    Yes, according to the Black Diamond Komperdell Leki Backpacking Hiking Act of 2016 by mandatory decree one must have a kit that includes approved sanctioned logo trekking poles when hiking. Glittering streaming tassels, UL paint, Fair-trade cork grips, and snow baskets may not be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yes, according to the Black Diamond Komperdell Leki Backpacking Hiking Act of 2016 by mandatory decree one must have a kit that includes approved sanctioned logo trekking poles when hiking. Glittering streaming tassels, UL paint, Fair-trade cork grips, and snow baskets may not be included.
    Bear bells. You forgot bear bells...

And, break-away pole straps...just sayin...

Love my poles. They have saved me from many a bad fall. Plus using poles allows you to cross streams without getting wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Soggybottom View Post
    Love my poles. They have saved me from many a bad fall. Plus using poles allows you to cross streams without getting wet.

Trekking poles are so good you can walk on water just by using them

Why the trolling? This is supposed to help those who ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggybottom View Post
    Why the trolling? This is supposed to help those who ask questions.

Have you read all 11 pages ?

I bought a pair several years ago and had never used them until recently. I must say that I really liked hiking with them. I will also say that learning how to best use them is very important. On my first outing, I adjusted mine several times on the ascent until I found the right length. using them to assist in forward motion proved to be great. Lengthening them and using them on he descent was possibly the most noticeable benefit. My knees always bother me on the way down. I'm 6'5" and right at 230#. They made the trip down much more enjoyable and controllable.

All that to say, I am now a fan and will likely use trekking poles from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by SueJhiker View Post
    They seem like they would be cumbersome to me, but I have not yet hiked a long distance.
    Maybe you don't need them, but your knees do!

Yours might, but lots of people still prefer to go without them. I've tried and backed away from trekking poles more than once now because my knees don't feel any better at the end of a trip with them. If you need them, then you should absolutely carry them. Just don't assume they're essential for every body.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++