WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have both the paper and pdf versions and consult paper version when I don't have to carry it. On trail, it's the digital version on iPhone every time. But I care about the grams I carry quit a bit. The less grams, the more enjoyment (within reason).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I used just the paper version of the AWOL guide. That was sufficient for me. I hiked with people with GutHook and they really liked it. I just liked the ease of glancing at the page.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet...but, 0ne's and Zero's are effectively Pulp, albeit fossilized or other.

Last year I had the paper version, PDF version and Guthooks. The paper version stayed in the bottom of my pack. If you're bringing Guthooks, you'll find yourself using that far more while on the trail. Awols is more useful in town.

This year I'm leaving the paper book home and only using the electronic files. Also- I'm hearing around the interweb that Guthooks is going to start including town info. There is a big update scheduled for January I believe.

I initially brought the paper guide to use as a journal. I ended up using an app called AT Notebook. It had pre-established landmarks you can enter information in as well as add pictures to that entry. I really like it.

FWIW, I prefer the ATC Trail Guide for planning and trail use. Not only does it support the ATC, but it doesn't require electronic device operation to use. I keep it (or just the pages I need) in a plastic bag so its water proof. After more than a few decades of this, I have learned that simple tends to work best.

Can anyone tell me if the print AT Guide Book has at least as much as the AT Guide Book PDF version?

I saw where the PDF has hot links. I'm just trying to get a feel for exactly what's in the book, and $9 for the 2016 version seems OK to me...as long as I'm not missing anything compared to the print version.

I'm not going until 2018, so preordering the 2017 doesn't do my lack of patience any good.

Thanks.

The PDF version is exactly the same as the paper bound version. The only difference is there are hot links in the PDF version which make it awesome for calling shuttles, hostels, or using your smartphone maps to get to the trail head.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW, I prefer the ATC Trail Guide for planning and trail use. Not only does it support the ATC, but it doesn't require electronic device operation to use. I keep it (or just the pages I need) in a plastic bag so its water proof. After more than a few decades of this, I have learned that simple tends to work best.
    Agreed. I own both the ATC/ALDHA guide and the AWOL guide and I've found that I have a definite preference for the ATC book. The recent versions of the ATC guide are especially good since they had to improve and adapt due to competition from AWOL/Guthook etc.

I buy a new one every few years and slice it into five or six sections. Then I only carry the section I need.

image.jpeg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    The PDF version is exactly the same as the paper bound version.
    Thanks cape. Even though I'll buy the 2016 it'll give me an idea.

Bought the Awol's Guide yesterday and I'm impressed; lots of info.

May buy the ATC guide also if it's available in PDF.

In the Guide's legend a drop of liquid = Source of drinking water.

Does that mean:

1. Potable water.
    2. Water that you need to filter it.
    3. Water that may be potable and/or you may need to filter it.
    4. Something else.

I drink a lot of water, and also had Giardia and Crypto at the same time. I'm kind of cautious with water these days. I have a copy of the lab slip and dig it out every so often to remind myself how miserable that was.

Guthooks apparently has a big update in the new year and the goss is that town and associated information is being added. Depending on the level of information added it may be a better option for those that like technology.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post
    In the Guide's legend a drop of liquid = Source of drinking water.

Does that mean:

1. Potable water.
    2. Water that you need to filter it.
    3. Water that may be potable and/or you may need to filter it.
    4. Something else.

I drink a lot of water, and also had Giardia and Crypto at the same time. I'm kind of cautious with water these days. I have a copy of the lab slip and dig it out every so often to remind myself how miserable that was.
    It means it is wet, I personally treat every drop. My Moms thru hike attempt in 1976 was ended by Giardia, and she was never strong enough with her asthma to backpack again. She funds my hikes now.

Thanks Sandy.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Think when the 2017 versions come out I'll try one other than Awol's just to see the difference.

Default Awol Guide - 1s & 0s or tree pulp

What is the total weight of the guidebook?

I initially brought the paper guide to use as a journal. I ended up using an app called AT Notebook. It had pre-established landmarks you can enter information in as well as add pictures to that entry. I really like it.
    Good to know! Especially if going to the App route

I ended up using an app called AT Notebook. It had pre-established landmarks you can enter information in as well as add pictures to that entry. I really like it.
    Couldn't find this for an android phone is it an apple app?
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Couldn't find this for an android phone is it an apple app?
    I am using an iPhone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++