WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/op...a-burning.html

I was in Gatlinburg a couple of years ago in an early-summer heat wave. After I got over my initial shock at the schlock, I have to admit that I quite enjoyed my zero there. It's sad to hear of so much devastation.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Gatlinburg and pigeon forge only give americans what they like.

It might be a sad commentary on americans in general to some, but not their fault.

Current situation is horrific and the hard working residents deserve respect and compassion regardless.

I grew up in similar type thing. At the beach in FL. When americans vacation at beach, they want all the stupid $hit as well, because...just being at beach isnt enough. Goofy golf things, ripleys, amusement parks, wax museums, trinket shops, go carts, etc, etc, etc

Same people, EXACT same people in SE go to gatlinburg to vacation as well. These are things they can drive to in a day.

If you gonna hate on gatlinburg....hate on whole state of florida too.
    Similar experiences here. I live about an hour from Myrtle Beach and 5 1/2 from Gatlinburg. I'm all too familiar with the neon lights and tourist traps. Not really my cup of tea but it can be fun at times. I feel for the people of Gatlinburg in this tragedy. Personally I will miss the Alamo steakhouse more than anything else when I go back. Also there's a lady who owns several cabins and a store right at the end of the Roaring Fork Nature Trail who I'd really like to hear some news from. My wife and I got married there and stayed in her cabins and she became a friend to us. If anyone knows anything about her or her properties I'd sure like to hear about it. The name of her place is Ely's Mill.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Images

Another person now confirmed dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aths/94663292/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I saw that. I'm sure there are still areas which need to be more thoroughly searched...hopefully, no one else is found.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

I'm worried about the family of Michael Reed, in the news looking for wife and daughters after being unable to get through traffic/debris to their home. Last contact was Monday. If they were okay, you'd think they would have found a way to connect by now. I fear that several more casualties will be added to that mercifully short list.

Raining there today. Will help the fire fighting efforts. Rain also expected later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a pox on the planet?
    Wow, not cool at all. I see you are from Alexandria, VA. As many will know that is a suburb of another city that many think is a pox I guess that explains your attitude and superiority complex.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I'm worried about the family of Michael Reed, in the news looking for wife and daughters after being unable to get through traffic/debris to their home. Last contact was Monday. If they were okay, you'd think they would have found a way to connect by now. I fear that several more casualties will be added to that mercifully short list.
    Yes, I saw that too and I am afraid they could join the list.

Journal Entries

I think I heard that the last three victims were found together. Strong possibility it's his family.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Yes, I saw that too and I am afraid they could join the list.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I think I heard that the last three victims were found together. Strong possibility it's his family.
    So sad........

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragedy.....I hope they catch the no good SOB who started this! I'd assume you can throw your alcohol stove in the recycle ♻️.....

Journal Entries

Confirmed death toll is now 10. This includes couple from Memphis. Even though they perished, their three sons were found unconscious a couple of days ago and have been undergoing treatment at Vanderbilt.

Images

last update from TEMA said 11 dead in the gatlinburg fires and 4 people from the tornadoes down the road........

2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
    http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/tr...d-14/474025980

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    2 juveniles charged in Tennessee wildfires that killed 14
    http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/tr...d-14/474025980

They can both remove the sunglasses, their future isn't that bright...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

On one hand, I want them to be tried as adults and to see real jail time if guilty.

But on the other hand, oh never mind.

Make them an example!

Carl
    Last edited by cneill13; 12-07-2016 at 19:20.

Journal Entries

I can't imagine any teens, no matter their IQ, their ethnicity, their religion, their parents, etc that wouldn't know absolutely that what they did was deeply wrong. But they chose to do it. There's no punishment that can give life back to the victims. I hope they can charge them with homicide.

I watched a 12-minute news conference. The prosecutor was very tight-lipped, but came across as determined to seek the strongest charges he could. I don't think I could serve on their jury.

Something I've been wondering since the evening when the frontal activity blew the fire down mountain into Gatlinburg.
    Where were the water/flame retardants delivery aircraft in the days before this fire spread?
    In no way am I minimizing the actions that started the fire. However, it seems to me that the folks in charge were slow to react to the increased fire threat.
    Just my thoughts.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Where were the water/flame retardants delivery aircraft in the days before this fire spread?

the park service did say, in an email and i think in a press conference, that they did use helicopters dropping water on that fire early that day or maybe the day before....

(disclosure-----im not a work this week nor last---and i work in TV news in knoxville-----and have been keeping up with some emails on this event but i dont wanna have to search through 800 or so emails that i have gotten about the fire in order to find and clip over the above).......

also, keep in mind----this was a small fire that got outta hand very, very quickly......

my guess (and just a guess) is that they thought they had it contained and didnt necessarily need to bring in more choppers and planes to put it out...

but this thing escalated at a rate that nobody knew........

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++