WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge being evacuated

Apparently Gatlinburg's downtown has a mandatory evacuation order in effect.

"Employees from the Elkmont and Park Headquarters area were evacuated. Officials closed the Gatlinburg Bypass and Little River Road from Sugarlands Visitor Center to Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area."

""The mountain headed up to LeConte is a blaze," Allyson Virden said. "We drove to the top of our hill and we were blown away with the fire that is spreading up Mt. LeConte. My heart is breaking ... Chris and I are about to pack up and head out. It breaks my heart to think of all the people in harm's way and the historic buildings that are in danger. Please pray for our community and beloved Smokies."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...burg/94580940/
    Last edited by Lyle; 11-29-2016 at 01:51.

wow that is incredible and tragic

wife and I were just up there on a short vacation trip a month ago, hard to believe those pictures, can't imagine the traffic jams

prayers are needed for the Smokies community

Journal Entries
    Images

Family members are in pigeon forge posting updates on my social media for me now.
    It is tragic and horrible,hoping that the rain is on the way,the line of storms Ii seen looked like pretty good storms headed that way.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Images

I have spent so many amazing trips in the Smokies...this is indeed sad news. Praying for steady rain for a couple days.
    Last edited by Engine; 11-29-2016 at 07:49.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

It's hard to get clear information from TV and FB, just snippets and fragments. From the weather forecast, what they're saying is the rain last night was helpful, but too little too late for many structures. Rain is moving out of the area, and winds should be light through the day. Maybe they can get ahead of some of the blazes. This afternoon and evening the winds will pick up again ahead of another much-needed rain system. But again, if the wind comes before the rain, it pushes the flames into new territory.

FB post from a Pigeon Forge resident:
    I can't sleep not knowing if I have a home in the morning. So please continue prayers for our area as I have asked many times. I have friends also evacuated and may have to evacuate again and some may not have a home by morning. Some of these fires are still out of control especially in Gatlinburg area 8 miles from us. Many businesses, hotels, jobs for folks are gone just like that. This fire spread so quickly last night with 50-65 mph winds and no rain until late that there was no time to respond to so many of these fires in time and for the news to report them quick enough. We are in a devastation in this area and need all the prayers and more rain that we can get right now. So far no deaths reported. We thank God for that!

WVLT video:
    https://www.facebook.com/newschynna/...0066329623948/

It was smoky last week when we were there.

So dry in the mountains. One ember would start a fire easily.

Hope everyone gets to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Any word on how the fires started?
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

this is insane

Images

Any word on how the fires started?
    Some are natural, some are arson, and some are the result campers with very poor judgment.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Leonidas

Sad to hear that arson and negligence are involved.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

According to the Weather Channel radar loop it rained extensively along the TN-NC border since midnight. True or false? Fox News is showing active fires from overnight.
    What is happening now? 9:40 am EST?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Terribly tragic what is going on down there. It has been incredibly dry up and down the Eastern seaboard. I was on the AT in northern VA this past weekend and basically I was walking on dust the whole time. My thoughts are with the folks down there. We are getting much needed rain in Maryland and I hope for the same for the folks down there.

Journal Entries
    Images

On hammock forom a person said .5" it is sad for sure my parents were just there a few weeks ago.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Hotel employee in Pigeon Forge told us moments ago that Gatlinburg is gone. It all burned down. She was crying. I find it so hard to believe. I have been going to the smokies for decades. I suspect she is wrong. We will see.

Ober Gatlinburg is gone. All burned down. I feel like I should be attending a funeral. Hillbilly Golf is gone. I realize these places are easy to make fun of as Bill Bryson did (what an ass), but these places are classics that have been there forever.

Earlier reports of the elementary school burning are now being reversed. It apparently still stands. Who knows. No one is in there to see it right now.

Leonidas

Crazy, I had to notify my parents last night as they were heading up there this weekend.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Ober Gatlinburg is gone. All burned down. I feel like I should be attending a funeral. Hillbilly Golf is gone. I realize these places are easy to make fun of as Bill Bryson did (what an ass), but these places are classics that have been there forever.

Earlier reports of the elementary school burning are now being reversed. It apparently still stands. Who knows. No one is in there to see it right now.
    Ober Gatlinburg is NOT gone. They posted a video on this morning showing the property was fine.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Ober Gatlinburg (up the mountain on the tram) owners confirmed at 9:10 am that it is still standing. Mystery Mansion owners in Gatlinburg confirmed it is gone, which means many other buildings must be too. So apparently the fire fighters can't quantify the current status it is so bad. They recently reported they cannot provide an update on where the fires are or what is burning. They won't guess anymore. Wow.

if you aren't familiar with Gatlinburg it is a town with few ways to access it or see it from outside Gatlinburg. This probably accounts for the lack of good information.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++