WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

I'm on the outskirts of town. I am one of the luckier ones. My home is fine. I am safe. My workplace is still standing, though closed for who knows how long. I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents. We also love the park and are mourning the loss of the forest and wildlife.
    It's hard to tell exactly what the damage is downtown -- they are not letting anyone in. From what I hear, the main strip is intact, but many buildings along the edges of town were destroyed. Will give y'all an update when I know more. Provided I can...currently without power

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    I'm on the outskirts of town. I am one of the luckier ones. My home is fine. I am safe. My workplace is still standing, though closed for who knows how long. I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents. We also love the park and are mourning the loss of the forest and wildlife.
    It's hard to tell exactly what the damage is downtown -- they are not letting anyone in. From what I hear, the main strip is intact, but many buildings along the edges of town were destroyed. Will give y'all an update when I know more. Provided I can...currently without power
    stay safe!

Images

Thanks! I will add that we were very lucky this didn't happen last week, when the town was full of tourists. Or on a weekend. The town was relatively quiet when this happened, making the evacuations possible. Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Insane view from within:
    Holy shi$.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Grand Prix survived? Their near the woods on the edge of town.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Praying for rain in Gatlinburg! My son and I went last spring for a field trip to the Aquarium. It was beautiful and a great place to visit. Heard the animals there were safe tonight. I hope that's true. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody up there going through this terrible event.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Can you cite a source for this?
    Nope.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    I have friends and coworkers who lost their homes. Some folks are out of jobs. The people in this town are mostly service industry workers living paycheck to paycheck. This is devastating for the town and local residents.
    That's the worst part about it, however as the area rebuilds there should be more jobs. Myself and my staff are all fine, and I *think* our hotel is fine, too, based on a report I received from an employee, although we're between the Park Vista and Arrowmont School, both of which were hit. I guess the PV survived intact. More than 50% of our bookings for the Christmas Parade this weekend evaporated already, and I expect them all to, and this is the last chance to make money before the season dies.

Anyway, the best news I've seen is from WBIR: www.wbir.com. They're putting together a list of damage. 441 is closed so I don't think I'll get back into town before Friday.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 11-29-2016 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    That's the worst part about it, however as the area rebuilds there should be more jobs. Myself and my staff are all fine, and I *think* our hotel is fine, too, based on a report I received from an employee, although we're between the Park Vista and Arrowmont School, both of which were hit. I guess the PV survived intact. More than 50% of our bookings for the Christmas Parade this weekend evaporated already, and I expect them all to, and this is the last chance to make money before the season dies.

Anyway, the best news I've seen is from WBIR: www.wbir.com. They're putting together a list of damage. 441 is closed so I don't think I'll get back into town before Friday.
    Glad to hear your staff are all fine! It is crazy how it moved and caught some structures on fire; yet left others close by still standing. I couldn't believe that Cobbly Knob was impacted that Far East up 321. Prayers that you can regroup and recoup in the future. Hoping the County comes back stronger and better than ever. The Smokies have held my heart my entire life.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Camelman, my thoughts are with you. Hoping things turn out to be ok when you return. Best of luck to you.

I heard tonight that three people have sadly lost their lives due to this and it is so sad to think that someone intentionally started the fire. If caught they should be locked away for the rest of their lives. So senseless.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Camelman, my thoughts are with you. Hoping things turn out to be ok when you return. Best of luck to you.

I heard tonight that three people have sadly lost their lives due to this and it is so sad to think that someone intentionally started the fire. If caught they should be locked away for the rest of their lives. So senseless.
    Locking people away is too kind
    Burning at stake would be fitting

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I wonder if the Grand Prix survived? Their near the woods on the edge of town.
    I know that hill going up from the strip to Ober was badly damaged. A friend who lives up there said she was told it was still burning. We just don't know yet. I will let you know if I hear anything about the Grand Prix.

Images

They canceled the parade. Likely won't have much business for a while. At this point I'm just hoping we can salvage Hell Week. So many rely on that week to pay the bills in Jan and Feb. Glad your staff is OK. My restaurant's staff is all safe, though a few are homeless.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. Yeah i hope Hell Week is still hell.

Another good source for news and pics is on Facebook and is called "Tri-Cities Weather & Alert Crew".

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Holy shi$.....

nokidding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post

Don't you think it's a bit early to blame arson?
    Perhaps you missed the statement from the National Park Service placing the blame for the fires on high winds, low humidity and trees falling on electrical transmission lines. Once started, the conditions greatly worsened and rapidly spread the fires. Naturally.
    All the best to everyone affected by this tragedy. I've seen my share of disasters including hurricanes Ivan, Katrina, Rita and Ike. Be safe!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Apparently the Mt Le Conte lodge was spared by the fires. There may be some damage from falling trees.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

I was a first responder to the tornado that wiped out greensburg Kansas a while back. I talked to a few folks over the first few days and the insurance companies were pretty fast. I hope this is the case there. Also watch your friends this is a very traumatic event and it can do things to a person. I wish all the best. that video is very sad to see.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

CNN is reporting fire was human caused.

Given the weather conditions, I would like to think that this is the result of natural causes. Just my opinion.
    Wayne

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++